Show us your new handle

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kalaeb

Re: Show us your new handle

Post by Kalaeb »

Not a handle, but a new saya. This is my first time making a three piece...much easier than carving out a cavity.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm Not a handle, but a new saya. This is my first time making a three piece...much easier than carving out a cavity.
Gorgeous!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm Not a handle, but a new saya. This is my first time making a three piece...much easier than carving out a cavity.

Nice.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

More pics please!!!! The saya looks great!
--- Steve
Carter

Post by Carter »

Nice job Matt.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Top notch as always Matt!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

By 3 piece, do you mean that you basically made a wooden welt? Interesting, I was going to try my hand at one, but I was going to try to use a router. Maybe this is a better way for me!
"Now remember Rodney, he who dares..."
delmar

Post by delmar »

3 piece waaaaay easier than carve out. You can also sand down the inside piece on the edge run a bit to make it more 'form fitting'
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Delboy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 pm
By 3 piece, do you mean that you basically made a wooden welt? Interesting, I was going to try my hand at one, but I was going to try to use a router. Maybe this is a better way for me!
Yes, similar to a wooden welt. I cut out a thin middle piece then sanded it down to allow for the distal taper of the blade the sandwiched between two more pieces and shaped.

Getting the distal taper perfect with a router is slightly more difficult. On a two piece I will usually either router with steps to account for distal taper, or use a paddle sander on my Dremel and just hog it out.
Carter

Post by Carter »

A hand plane is the best way to cut and taper the "welt". In most cases, there will be a distal taper and a thicker edge for the spine and thinner for the edge. Sand paper can leave some nasty grit that can potentially scratch a blade....been there done that.

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Carter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am A hand plane is the best way to cut and taper the "welt". In most cases, there will be a distal taper and a thicker edge for the spine and thinner for the edge. Sand paper can leave some nasty grit that can potentially scratch a blade....been there done that.

Excellent point. And I really dig that chisel on the left. Did you make it, or purchase?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Carter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am A hand plane is the best way to cut and taper the "welt". In most cases, there will be a distal taper and a thicker edge for the spine and thinner for the edge. Sand paper can leave some nasty grit that can potentially scratch a blade....been there done that.

Excellent point. And I really dig that chisel on the left. Did you make it, or purchase?
I was going to mention that chisel too, pretty cool.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:54 am
Delboy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 pm
Yes, similar to a wooden welt. I cut out a thin middle piece then sanded it down to allow for the distal taper of the blade the sandwiched between two more pieces and shaped.

Getting the distal taper perfect with a router is slightly more difficult. On a two piece I will usually either router with steps to account for distal taper, or use a paddle sander on my Dremel and just hog it out.
That sounds cool! I made a saya as a little project for a paring knife (out of 2 olive wood coasters)....It was fun, but distal taper didn't even register in my mind! I never even thought that, especially for larger knives, distal taper would be a factor. Damn, saya making just got exponentially harder for me, lol.
Last edited by Delboy on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter

Post by Carter »

It is a saya nomi, specifically made for carving sayas...quicker, cleaner, and more zen like than a router. Link: https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=5%2F ... ton=search

A few more action shots:

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

A chisel specifically made for saya making. The Japanese have particularness (yes, I just made up a word, sue me) down to an art! Or science. Or both. For such a nice, expensive tool, you'd think they'd have more pictures, lol. Does yours actually have pliability to it, Carter? It says on the website that it has some flex in the blade.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Delboy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:38 pm A chisel specifically made for saya making. The Japanese have particularness (yes, I just made up a word, sue me) down to an art! Or science. Or both. For such a nice, expensive tool, you'd think they'd have more pictures, lol. Does yours actually have pliability to it, Carter? It says on the website that it has some flex in the blade.
It does have some flex, not much, but you can easily control it. It is a two handed chisel, one on the handle and another on the shank to guide it. Would buy again in a minute. Don't save money and get the 3/8", it is not wide enough for a primary saya nomi.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Finally had a handle put on my Jikko B2 Suminagashi. Handle by Joe Morrone(jobone). Spalted Maple and Gabon Ebony.
His pictures are much better than mine! --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzjVFFSHH2i/

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Wow!
What a looker, and what nice shoes she's wearing! Very nice indeed!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jobone

Post by jobone »

Two thumbs up :-)
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm Finally had a handle put on my Jikko B2 Suminagashi. Handle by Joe Morrone(jobone). Spalted Maple and Gabon Ebony.
His pictures are much better than mine! --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzjVFFSHH2i/
Any guess / measurement on how the weight of the new handle compares to the old? How's it change the enkoyabiliry of the knife? I've got a 270 ks that I want to rehandle. Thinking about how I should approach that.