First (real) Knife...Entry level

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ColdSmoke

First (real) Knife...Entry level

Post by ColdSmoke »

Greetings!

First post here...looking for nice entry level Gyuto 240mm for under $200. This is for my kitchen at home. I want something relatively easy to sharpen with decent food release. I'm not a hardcore chef or cook but I do appreciate good tools. The options are a bit overwhelming on the site so I thought using you nice folks as a resource would be the best way to go. I prefer the look of the Damascus but it's not a deal breaker.

Thank you
Altadan

Re: First (real) Knife...Entry level

Post by Altadan »

Hi ColdSmok, and welcome to the forum!

You're in the right place - but first, go ahead and click here to answer the questionnaire for us and copy it here. It'll help us forum-folks better understand your parameters.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ColdSmoke

Post by ColdSmoke »

1)Pro or home cook? home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want? 240mm

4)How much do you want to spend? $200 max

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? no idea, least likey to rust

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Cheap set from years ago

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? depends on project

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Can sharpen what I currently have with the steel that came with the set, so maybe?

These are the leaders in the clubhouse so far:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nagy24.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogs24fr ... 1562626730
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

10 - you can't sharpen anything with the steel that came with your previous set, not even those knives.
But in addition, Japanese knives tend to have harder steel. Do not use the honing steel on these knives.
I suggest you use part of your budget for a set of waterstones. A gyuto that is less than $100 will be a good deal better than what you have now.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Ourorboros wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 pm 10 - you can't sharpen anything with the steel that came with your previous set, not even those knives.
But in addition, Japanese knives tend to have harder steel. Do not use the honing steel on these knives.
I suggest you use part of your budget for a set of waterstones. A gyuto that is less than $100 will be a good deal better than what you have now.
Good advice—take it seriously.

The Kono you link is a real steel (pun!) at that price, though. Otherwise, the Kanehide 'PS60 has a nice reputation for a starter knife with the attributes you want, and you're right to consider the Kohetsu lines, too. You'd have to be careful with the Kono—it is a very thin knife and if you are not used to Japanese knives and the techniques they require for cutting, it would be easy to damage it. It is better as a second knife, to be honest.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I bought stones and used my cheap set to learn the basics of sharpening before purchasing a good knife. It doesn't take long to learn to put a decent edge on a knife. It doesn't have to be done that way though.
That Konosuke is a great purchase at that price but I would definitely get some stones soon and learn to sharpen to properly maintain it. Being your first J-knife I'd take extra care with it too until you get a feel for it.

A good starter knife and introduction to a stainless clad carbon core knife. It's easy to maintain, good edge retention and a good bang for the buck.
Harukaze AS Wa Gyuto 240mm - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ColdSmoke

Post by ColdSmoke »

Thanks for the replies...I didn't mean to imply that I thought I could sharpen one of these knives with a cheap steel rod, just that I get how to sharpen a blade. I've used stones for my hunting knives before but never whetstones. That is a really exciting part of this new endeavor. I think I'll get some stones and practice with my crappy knives I have now so I'm somewhat dialed in when I get my good knife.

After some time looking, I think I've settled on the Makoto White #2. Hopefully they will restock it soon. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html

Thoughts?
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

Excellent choice! Great knife and screaming value. Being w2 it´ll be also easy to sharpen. Fingers crossed that you´ll be able to get it soon.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ColdSmoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm Thanks for the replies...I didn't mean to imply that I thought I could sharpen one of these knives with a cheap steel rod, just that I get how to sharpen a blade. I've used stones for my hunting knives before but never whetstones. That is a really exciting part of this new endeavor. I think I'll get some stones and practice with my crappy knives I have now so I'm somewhat dialed in when I get my good knife.

After some time looking, I think I've settled on the Makoto White #2. Hopefully they will restock it soon. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html

Thoughts?
The Makoto is an excellent knife and a great bang for the buck! did you enter your email address on the product page to get notified when it restocks?
Do get some whetstones and practice your sharpening. It is a great and invaluable skill to have and it's not that difficult.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

ColdSmoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm Thanks for the replies...I didn't mean to imply that I thought I could sharpen one of these knives with a cheap steel rod, just that I get how to sharpen a blade. I've used stones for my hunting knives before but never whetstones. That is a really exciting part of this new endeavor. I think I'll get some stones and practice with my crappy knives I have now so I'm somewhat dialed in when I get my good knife.

Thoughts?
+1 on the Makoto,
but just fyi, there's a nice japanese stainless 240 gyuto (no rust) being offered under the "classifieds" page for a sweet price. You may wanna take a look.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
ColdSmoke

Post by ColdSmoke »

Thoughts?
@ChefKnivesToGo any idea when this knife will be available again?