Masashi Yamamoto, anyone?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jpjpjp

Masashi Yamamoto, anyone?

Post by jpjpjp »

Anyone here ever work with his knives?

He's a relatively young blacksmith whose work I've seen elsewhere, but am finding surprisingly little about as far as reviews go. I'm eyeing one of his SLD gyutos to replace the knife I use on the line at work, but want to know a little more about their performance. Seems talented and worth investing in, and I figure if there's anyone on the internet who may have tried his knives, they'll likely be here.

Thanks!
Chocu1a

Re: Masashi Yamamoto, anyone?

Post by Chocu1a »

I have a sld sujihiki by him. It is a beautiful blade and exquisitely made. I am actually looking at picking up one of his petty knives, too. I just can't decide on the koi in vg1 or the kemuri in sld.
Last edited by Chocu1a on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp »

Chocu1a wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:48 pm I have a sld sujihiki by him. It is a beautiful blade and exquisitely made. I am actually looking at pucking up one of his petty knives, too. I just can't decide on the koi in vg1 or the kemuri in sld.
Nice. Glad to hear it.

Yeah, I'm looking at the SLD 150mm Gyuto to replace my current line knife at work. But the Koi are beautiful. Just don't expect white steel to hold up in a busy kitchen. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on either one once you decide!
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

jpjpjp wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Chocu1a wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:48 pm I have a sld sujihiki by him. It is a beautiful blade and exquisitely made. I am actually looking at pucking up one of his petty knives, too. I just can't decide on the koi in vg1 or the kemuri in sld.
Nice. Glad to hear it.

Yeah, I'm looking at the SLD 150mm Gyuto to replace my current line knife at work. But the Koi are beautiful. Just don't expect white steel to hold up in a busy kitchen. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on either one once you decide!
Koi is semi-stainless vg1. As far as white steel in a professional kitchen, my daily driver is a Masakage Yuki gyuto in white 2. It takes and keeps an amazing edge. I just maintain it with daily stropping, and an occasional touch-up on a 5000 Shapton.
jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp »

Chocu1a wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 am
jpjpjp wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Nice. Glad to hear it.

Koi is semi-stainless vg1. As far as white steel in a professional kitchen, my daily driver is a Masakage Yuki gyuto in white 2. It takes and keeps an amazing edge. I just maintain it with daily stropping, and an occasional touch-up on a 5000 Shapton.
You're absolutely right. I was thinking of his Nashiji line and confused it for the Koi line.

My only experience with white steel has been White #1, and that was certainly too soft for professional work. Or at least that knife was. (That was my first knife investment and an important learning experience.) Good to know that white #2 works for you in a professional environment, though. Maybe I will consider Masashi's W2 line.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

His sld is so sexy though.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

He trained at yoshikane, i believe he is the nephew of tsuneo yoshida. His profiles are unique, they dont appeal to me, so i havent used his knives, but i have read good stuff about his grinds and steel.
LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

I have a 240 gyuto in sld and really like it. Probably my most used blade. I like tall knives and this one is 55mm or so. Grind is super consistent, nicely convexed and very effective. Not crazy thin but thin enough. His sld seems to hold a precise edge twice as long as my other knives except for Watanabe blue 2. A bit harder to sharpen though.

I am a big fan and think it’s one of the better value, under appreciated makers out there.
jpjpjp

Post by jpjpjp »

LucaBrasi wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 pm I have a 240 gyuto in sld and really like it. Probably my most used blade. I like tall knives and this one is 55mm or so. Grind is super consistent, nicely convexed and very effective. Not crazy thin but thin enough. His sld seems to hold a precise edge twice as long as my other knives except for Watanabe blue 2. A bit harder to sharpen though.

I am a big fan and think it’s one of the better value, under appreciated makers out there.
Thanks for the responses!

Pulled the trigger today on his 150mm SLD Gyuto to replace my previous 150mm line knife. Will post pics and impressions when it arrives.
jknife

Post by jknife »

Sorry to resurrect and older post but I am looking at this exact same knife and was wondering if the OP could let me know how it is. I am quite new to the forum so if this is bad form could someone let me know. Thank you.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

I think it’s fine to bump out of curiosity. Unfortunately it looks like the OP hasn’t been active since his last post above.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

jknife wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:28 pm Sorry to resurrect and older post but I am looking at this exact same knife and was wondering if the OP could let me know how it is. I am quite new to the forum so if this is bad form could someone let me know. Thank you.
I ended up getting a 210mm sld gyuto from Masashi. It is an amazing cutter. The profile is a bit odd at first, but immediately becomes second nature in use. I will definitely be getting another gyuto from him in the future.
kpham12

Post by kpham12 »

Masashi also has a couple newer profiles floating around with a lower tip, but I also really like his torpedo shaped gyutos for the height and uniqueness.
stalliondawg444

Post by stalliondawg444 »

Anyone have experience with his nakiris?