Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ma_sha1

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by Ma_sha1 »

ImageJust got this in with a custom handle.
enjay

Post by enjay »

nakneker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I just received a Honesuki by Raquin. If you’ve never handled a Raquin they are amazing knives. He has the rustic look down, with his burnt oak handles and metal finishes but they are an absolute joy to use, at least the three I’ve tried. His grinds are superb. This particular knife is pretty compact at 146mm edge length. I know most people relate this style of blade with breaking down chickens but I’ve used mine in the past for processing wild game, deer and elk and I’ve come to really enjoy them for that.
+1 If possible, everyone should try a Raquin, the quintessential rustic badass mofo.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

I like rustic look, thus my Anryu AS hammer with custom handle above. What makes Raquin over Anryu for 2-3x the cost? I am new here, trying to understand the allure of custom knife.
enjay

Post by enjay »

Ma_sha1 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:08 am I like rustic look, thus my Anryu AS hammer with custom handle above. What makes Raquin over Anryu for 2-3x the cost? I am new here, trying to understand the allure of custom knife.
Most Raquins aren't custom per se but I know what you mean.

As you'll see, beyond a certain price point (roughly $300-400) the marginal gain in performance is no longer the main goal, for they're already all superb. The allure, then, comprises other factors: aesthetic appeal, trying a unique (in its proper sense) handmade product, opportunity to directly communicate with its maker, and often close to impeccable fit-and-finish.

And to address your specific example, I've seen much positive feedback on the Anryu but never personally tried one. I have, however, used its cousins to have an idea of how it would feel and perform. In contrast, I'd imagine few smiths out there make something that closely resembles a Raquin, for better or worse.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Thanks, I agree, nearly every Japanese Smith makes an AS Gyuto Looks like my Anryu above
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I tried to go through the year with no new knives....and failed. Just got this one from Andrey Markin, my second knife from him and I am tickled pink. 130mm petty.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm I tried to go through the year with no new knives....and failed. Just got this one from Andrey Markin, my second knife from him and I am tickled pink. 130mm petty.

Very nice Matt! I was ssoo close to buying one of those but kept my composure! 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Delboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm 'Gonna straight murder some apricots with these bad girls....

Ooooo where did you get these?

I really like the handles on them!

They look like something a mobster would carry in his sleeve in case he needed to cut up some fresh fruit or solve some other type of problem
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

joanjet wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 pm
Delboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm 'Gonna straight murder some apricots with these bad girls....
Ooooo where did you get these?

I really like the handles on them!

They look like something a mobster would carry in his sleeve in case he needed to cut up some fresh fruit or solve some other type of problem
I bought these from a guy who owns a coin/pawn/jewelry shop in Florida....They're Parkers, made in Japan. Though I knew they'd be small, I actually thought they'd be 3-4 times this size! These things are SUPER cool. I have a collection going of similar knives, most made in Japan. I tend to like a lot of the collectible knives that were coming out of Japan in the 70's & 80's....

OK, back to kitchen knives, lol.
"Now remember Rodney, he who dares..."
TheVincenzo

Post by TheVincenzo »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm I tried to go through the year with no new knives....and failed. Just got this one from Andrey Markin, my second knife from him and I am tickled pink. 130mm petty.

I really like that. Looks like a great profile with the angled edge. Should be really nimble in hand, yet still provide some knuckle clearance when using it on a board. I'm going to have to look those up.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Just came in today: Konosuke GS+ Togatta 240mm. My first laser.
Going to install a custom handle tomorrow.
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^Congrats! Something tells me that knife will serve you very well. Given what knives with very similar grinds and profiles now cost (KS, HD), it is a steal.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Got this a while ago....just checking my new picture server...and showing off 8-)

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

mauichef wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 pm Got this a while ago....just checking my new picture server...and showing off 8-)
Well, the server works, and the knife is a beaut - not to mention the handle! But..

What is it??
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Altadan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:57 pm
Well, the server works, and the knife is a beaut - not to mention the handle! But..

What is it??
The kanji on the leftward-face means "Blue Steel Water[-Quenched] Honyaki". Can't quite make out the kanji on the rightward-face.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

mauichef wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 pm Got this a while ago....just checking my new picture server...and showing off 8-)
Oh my gosh this is one of the nicest handles I've ever seen. Who made that?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Qapla' wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:24 pm
Altadan wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:57 pm

What is it??
The kanji on the leftward-face means "Blue Steel Water[-Quenched] Honyaki". Can't quite make out the kanji on the rightward-face.
Yep...you got it!

Konosuke Honyaki Blue #2. Circa 2013 I think!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

joanjet wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:14 pm
Oh my gosh this is one of the nicest handles I've ever seen. Who made that?
Tim Johnson.
salemj

Post by salemj »

^^^!!! I recognize that knife! I actually saw it in person long ago. Nice snag Ray! You should clarify which Tim Johnson since there are two and both live in the north east and do great handle work! Haha. The “same” Tim (taz) made what is still the nicest handle I have ever owned.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

mauichef wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Tim Johnson.
Haven't heard of him yet, looks like I have another rabbit hole to jump down!

What kind of wood is that? That shade of blue would go really well with my takeda. Is it a more common type of wood died blue? Is it made of epoxy?

I have always wanted at least one knife with a striking blue handle (shoutout to this beautiful honesuki that just got listed the other day https://www.chefknivestogo.com/isw2hocu.html makes me really wish I needed a honesuki right now lol)