Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Sean-in-AK

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Nihei SLD Nishaji 210mm

This one looks like it’s going to be a fun knife.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Shigehiro 240. This one is a bit of a heavyweight. The convening feels really nice! I hope this fat girl has good food release!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Nihei SLD Nishaji 210mm

It really does look like fun. Nice find Sean.
I love the nice mirror finish over the pear skin. Most unusual and really pretty.
Nice F&F on the handle by the looks of it. And best of all, a good looking grind.
Hmmmmmmmm.
:mrgreen:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Both look very cool indeed!
That mirror polish had me do double takes :) At first I thought the big English letters from the beer bottle (?) were on the blade itself.
I'm curious how that Shigehiro behaves with hard products.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Maui,
All the things you just mentioned are what drew me to the knife too 😂. I was a bit surprised in a pleasant way with this one. The edge is nice and thin and ootb sharpness was really good. The handle is pretty nice, but a bit larger than my other knives. I will do a little write up on it in a few weeks after I have had time to test drive it for a while. High hopes for this one!

Dan,
Haha, yeah. I had to have a little fun with the mirror polish pic.

The Shigehiro is going to be interesting for me. It has a lot thicker grind and spine than most of my other knives. 3.6mm above the heel. It does have pretty nice distal taper though.its going to be fun playing with something outside of my norm. I have no idea what to expect haha. This knife has a ginormous handle though, it throws me off a bit.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 am This knife has a ginormous handle though, it throws me off a bit.
All the better to wield it with, my dear :twisted:

EDIT: Hey, I just looked up the Nihei SLD and found that yours is offered in one store, but an exact version by Konosuke is offered in another :o On the face of it, the difference is in the handle, the kanji, and the price :roll:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Altadan wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 am
Sean-in-AK wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 am This knife has a ginormous handle though, it throws me off a bit.

EDIT: Hey, I just looked up the Nihei SLD and found that yours is offered in one store, but an exact version by Konosuke is offered in another :o On the face of it, the difference is in the handle, the kanji, and the price :roll:
Nice google-fu sir! I eyed them both before buying. The Konosuke version listed is quite a bit thicker at the spine according to the listed specs. It would be really cool to handle both of them side by side!! But I’m not buying a third knife this month 😂

I suspect they are from the same smith, finish steel, profile and steel is all a match. The Nehei knife is also from Fukushima, so there are a lot of commonalities.
Gogogo545

Post by Gogogo545 »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 pm Image

Nihei SLD Nishaji 210mm

That mirror polish is gorgeous!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Beautiful Ray! I have to get more diligent in the hunt again, I've missed some nice knives recently. I've gotten a little tentative after spending so much early in the year...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm Beautiful Ray! I have to get more diligent in the hunt again, I've missed some nice knives recently. I've gotten a little tentative after spending so much early in the year...
Oh I hear you brother.
I let a couple past me recently that has caused some serious bruising on my butt from kicking myself so hard ;)
salemj

Post by salemj »

I would guess they are ground by different people; also, Konosuke knives go through a different quality control and spec process. My guess is that the smith is the same and that everything else about the knife is different. This has been the case in the past with such similar "versions"—definitely not the same when all is said and done.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

salemj wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am

I would guess they are ground by different people; also, Konosuke knives go through a different quality control and spec process. My guess is that the smith is the same and that everything else about the knife is different. This has been the case in the past with such similar "versions"—definitely not the same when all is said and done.
The spine thickness listed on the Konosuke version is considerably thicker, I suspect it will have a lot more distal taper. I’m sure there are other differences as well. I don’t think anyone was implying that they would be the exact same knives.

If Mark gets the Konosuke version I would be very hard pressed not to buy one! First test drive on the Nehei tonight was awesome!
old onion

Post by old onion »

DSC_0746 (2).JPG
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Something a little different to play with for me. Morihei Yoshitomo Kiridashi. Should be fun!
150C5458-D433-4FE9-9834-CFC2DDC5AFD5.jpeg
delmar

Post by delmar »

old onion wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:11 am DSC_0746 (2).JPG
Great staging on photo.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:11 am Something a little different to play with for me. Morihei Yoshitomo Kiridashi. Should be fun!

150C5458-D433-4FE9-9834-CFC2DDC5AFD5.jpeg
Stop find new things to spread the infection with Jon! It needed ends. Looks like fun amigo!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

New to me TF! I know they sometimes don’t get a lot of love around here any more, but this one is seriously good. No wonkiness. I’m impressed.
58811B90-0ECB-41D0-87EE-622A07075E1E.jpeg
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 pm New to me TF! I know they sometimes don’t get a lot of love around here any more, but this one is seriously good. No wonkiness. I’m impressed.

Its always worth taking a chance TFTFTFTF
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 pm New to me TF! I know they sometimes don’t get a lot of love around here any more, but this one is seriously good. No wonkiness. I’m impressed.

That’s a knife I have wanted to try and have been cautious, sounds like they are very hit and miss with Fit and finish, sounds like you got a good one though, congrats!. Hope to hear more about it after a session or two.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
inzite

Post by inzite »

Corradobrit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Its always worth taking a chance TFTFTFTF
TFTFTFTFTF alot of the times the wonkiness is cosmetic.