Richmond(Kurosaki) AS Laser 210 Gyuto - SOLD!

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Chefspence

Richmond(Kurosaki) AS Laser 210 Gyuto - SOLD!

Post by Chefspence »

This one really hurts, but again, gotta sell before I purchase. This one is about two years old and has actual hand chiseled kanji, not laser cut. One of the best knives I've used and is the epitome of a "Non-laser laser". I cleaned it up with BKF for the sale. It's been used, but gently and has a good working edge on it still, but I can touch it up if needed. It also comes with an Isaiah Schroeder saya, although the pin went missing. It's never gone through a full progression, only honed on a rod. This is a killer knife that seems to never be in stock. In fact I don't even see it on CKTG anymore which doesn't help post the item page, but here's CGaurins video:
https://youtu.be/vLndCRbWOGw

If anyone can help me find cktgs item page for this I would be very grateful

My pic
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1CTIqmlE9n ... _copy_link

If I wasn't so strapped and trying to purchase other knives to round out my roll I would NEVER sell this one, but se la vie right?!

Asking $205 and I'm being pretty firm on this. If it doesn't sell, I have other knives I can, so please understand that. This is a knife that grew on me immediately and I think it will you too! Thanks for looking
Chefspence

Re: WTS Richmond(Kurosaki) AS Laser 210 Gyuto

Post by Chefspence »

Minor scratches visible on right side of blade, very faint. Left side of blade, I think I see a little wearing, but it's so faint you can't see it in the pics.

Right side:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1CxlEClLeZ ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1CxiscFUDZ ... _copy_link

Left side:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1CxgJxFDTd ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Cxc83lbSM ... _copy_link
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

This knife is sold!!!! I didn't figure it would take long. Thanks Dan the Man!!
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

At 205 that was an insane deal those are amazing knives.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Nmiller21k wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm At 205 that was an insane deal those are amazing knives.
+1, I was quite tempted. It's a very good 210.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Yeah, I've been wanting to try out a Kurosaki for a while now, and I've often heard of a) how good he is, and b) how his previous work was in some ways preferable (certainly plainer, and less eye-catching).
That CGaurin clip is so... yesssss.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl :D
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Damn, I would have snatched this up in a second! :evil:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 pm Damn, I would have snatched this up in a second! :evil:
I might let you snatch it up in a few weeks, after I've scratched my Kurosaki itch :P
Then again, it looks like such a nice knife that I may just have to get rid of a few things on the magnet rack...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:10 am
Jeff B wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 pm Damn, I would have snatched this up in a second! :evil:
I might let you snatch it up in a few weeks, after I've scratched my Kurosaki itch :P
Then again, it looks like such a nice knife that I may just have to get rid of a few things on the magnet rack...
If it doesn't shake your tree let me know.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 am
Altadan wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:10 am
If it doesn't shake your tree let me know.
Second...
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Third.... I'll buy it back when you guys are all done :lol:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Ok, I'll be gentle with it!

On another note, is anyone able to say anything about how this Yu AS clad knive compares to his Makoto's Ryusei? Just curious.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

That's a really good question, I wondered that, especially since the "Richmond laser" is no longer around and Makoto seems to have picked up the pace on the very same knife.
salemj

Post by salemj »

There was rumor that Makoto was actually grinding those specific knives (the Richmonds) for Yu for part of the run way back. I wouldn't imagine any of the new stock by either Kurosaki would match because I think they prefer different patterns and designs now overall (and Yu is pretty clear that he tries to evolve his knife-making constantly, whereas the Richmond project was almost certainly a Mark-driven design back in the day that he happily accommodated). All speculation, but I've thought it for a while. The fact that the Richmond was such a terrific mental combination of two extremely popular knives at the time (the steel combo of a Horimoto combined with the love for the visual aesthetic of Konosuke Fujiyama shinogi lines) was always how I imagined Mark might have thought up the design—he does love to give the people what they want!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Altadan

Re: Richmond(Kurosaki) AS Laser 210 Gyuto - SOLD!

Post by Altadan »

Wow, great speculation :)
I'm happy I asked ^_^

I don't know if I thought along the same lines on my own, or that I've read something similar a long while ago.
I suppose the fact that the line was named "Richmond," coupled with the fact that Yu really only started coming into his own at the time (or even a little later?), leads us to the idea that the Richmond Laser is indeed heavily influenced by Mark's (and the forum's) preferences. Excited to get it into my hands
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

salemj wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 am There was rumor that Makoto was actually grinding those specific knives (the Richmonds) for Yu for part of the run way back. I wouldn't imagine any of the new stock by either Kurosaki would match because I think they prefer different patterns and designs now overall (and Yu is pretty clear that he tries to evolve his knife-making constantly, whereas the Richmond project was almost certainly a Mark-driven design back in the day that he happily accommodated). All speculation, but I've thought it for a while. The fact that the Richmond was such a terrific mental combination of two extremely popular knives at the time (the steel combo of a Horimoto combined with the love for the visual aesthetic of Konosuke Fujiyama shinogi lines) was always how I imagined Mark might have thought up the design—he does love to give the people what they want!
I wouldn't doubt that. Makotos grinds seem to all be laser like. Damn I miss this knife already. I've been using the Takamura Chromax in it's place and it's good, but not confidence inspiring like the Richmond laser. Damnit Dan, sell it back to me :lol:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Let me enjoy for a spell, will ya? Should be arriving today.
Then I'll give you a real decent deal 😎😚🤣
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

what are you getting to replace it with Spence?
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

FYI There's a 240 just listed on Ebay with a really nice wenge handle to complete the set.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

They were great knives, and still are. Love mine