Harukaze G3 Nashiji Gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jbart65

Harukaze G3 Nashiji Gyuto

Post by jbart65 »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html

This new Harukaze looks compelling for the price. Ginsan steel, a nice profile, thin edge and decent handle. $130? Really?

anyone get one of these yet?
Jeffry B
mauichef

Re: Harukaze G3 Nashiji Gyuto

Post by mauichef »

I have not tried one but when I saw it I was like....HOW do they do that with Ginsan at the price????
Whoever gets one...please let's have a few thoughts.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Looks like a lot of knife for the money.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

mauichef wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm I have not tried one but when I saw it I was like....HOW do they do that with Ginsan at the price????
My thoughts exactly.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Just received mine today. I gotta agree its a hell of a lot of knife for the money. Its nice & thin. Has a decent flat spot, with an acceptable up-sweep to the tip. There is an interesting wave to the entire spine. Almost like a texture. Fit & finish is surprisingly well done for the price. This is my second Harukaze. Both have a pronounced primary bevel & a small secondary bevel on the edge. Not really a fan of it, & on my other I took out the larger bevel on first sharpening. Will do the same with this one. The grind is super thin. I used it a bit at work today, but I also just picked up a Kajiwara B2 kurouchi 240. I was swapping them out trying to get a feel for them. I will primarily use the G3 tomorrow.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Just ordered one. At that price it will make a nice gift or be a good guest knife. And maybe I will like it. Harukaze makes excellent knives, esp for the relatively low cost.

I’ll report back soon.
Jeffry B
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I’ll stock up...
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

It's in my cart right now. I agree, how in the world is all this available at $130. Screw it, I'm pushing the button! Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week. I'll report on it asap
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Chocu1a wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 pm Just received mine today. I gotta agree its a hell of a lot of knife for the money. Its nice & thin. Has a decent flat spot, with an acceptable up-sweep to the tip. There is an interesting wave to the entire spine. Almost like a texture. Fit & finish is surprisingly well done for the price. This is my second Harukaze. Both have a pronounced primary bevel & a small secondary bevel on the edge. Not really a fan of it, & on my other I took out the larger bevel on first sharpening. Will do the same with this one. The grind is super thin. I used it a bit at work today, but I also just picked up a Kajiwara B2 kurouchi 240. I was swapping them out trying to get a feel for them. I will primarily use the G3 tomorrow.
Is the flat spot a bit bigger than on the AS series (assuming that's your other one)? I really like that knife, but I wish it had more of a flat spot.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Ordered mine yesterday and am looking forward to giving it a test drive
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Any 210's coming in this?
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Gregory27 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:08 pm
Is the flat spot a bit bigger than on the AS series (assuming that's your other one)? I really like that knife, but I wish it had more of a flat spot.
My other Haurkaze is an AS santoku.

More pics:
Tip:

Spine (tried to capture the "wave"):

This knife does really well with both push & rocking cuts.

Nice thin shredded lettuce:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That choil shot looks awesome, very thin behind the edge with some nice convexing! You guys will have me buying one before it's over, I'm already a Harukase fan anyway! :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:46 pm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html

This new Harukaze looks compelling for the price. Ginsan steel, a nice profile, thin edge and decent handle. $130? Really?

I made sure I shipped you the right knife this time. ;)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Damn, now I want one too. I would have to clear stuff off the knife bar to make space.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

nevrknow wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:53 pm Any 210's coming in this?
+1
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Bensbites wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm Damn, now I want one too. I would have to clear stuff off the knife bar to make space.
Just make another knife bar!
--- Steve
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

pd7077 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm
Bensbites wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm Damn, now I want one too. I would have to clear stuff off the knife bar to make space.
Just make another knife bar!
3 x 22 inches of knife bars... that should be enough. I definitely have some less used cheap stuff I could move on...
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:48 pm
jbart65 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:46 pm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html

I made sure I shipped you the right knife this time. ;)
You did indeed, Mark. I almost bought the Kuro Fuji VG10 at the same time, but I figure one at a time. The Kuro VG10 is next. I like the looks better than the AS, and Steve thinks it's a better cutter anyway.

As for the Harukaze ginsan. If I told anyone outside this site that a $130 knife was a bargain, they'd look at my funny.

Well for us here, the Harakuze ginsan is a ridiculous bargain. Cuts 97% as well as any of my other knives. Came very sharp. The handle is plain but well done. Pakkawood ferrule and basic white magnolia wood. Nice nashiji finish.

Fit and finish is suprisingly good. There is no step between my ferrule and handle. The edges of the top of the blade and choil are not rounded, but they are not as sharp as my Tanaka Sekiso. The pearskin finish looks nice.

What not to like? I can tell it's not quite as good as my more expensive knives. Little, very subtle things, though. Nothing that jumps out. I did wonder if the blade was stamped, but it wasn't easy for me to tell.

The profile is not as rounded as other Harukaze offerings; it's a classic pusher. Some flat spot, but it's not best suited for chopping or rocking. It can do both well, though pushing is the way to go with this one.

Who is this knife for? I'd contend it's now the best starter J knife available on CKTG given the price and quality, especially if one prefers stainless. I'd take this over the Kanehide. For pros, well, it's ginsan. Stainless, but it won't hold an edge like powdered metals, AS or even B2. But it seems to do the job for chocula.

Personally I'd take this over a topline German knife unless I wanted a more bulletproof handle. Cuts better and feels better in the hand.

In short, this is a ton of knife for the money.

I don't know if I will keep mine - I might sell or give it away as gift. But not because i don't like it. I'd keep for sure if it was a 210. Only thing I still need in my arsenal is a stainless 210.

As for the ginsan, I've now owned or tried eight different knives in this steel. Harukaze does an excellent job with heat treat and such. I might give a few others an edge in the steel department alone, but it hangs in there.
Jeffry B
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

The specs make it seem laser-ish. Jeffry and chocu1a, is that how you would characterize it?