Trying for a 240 mm Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
MatrixEvo

Trying for a 240 mm Gyuto

Post by MatrixEvo »

1)Pro or home cook?
Going pro (culinary student).

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto.

3) What size knife do you want?
240 mm.

4)How much do you want to spend?
Up to about $250.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Semi-stainless...stainless clad over reactive carbon.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle looks great. I'm open to what's best for a culinary student/new cook.

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Mercer Renaissance 9".

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
I'm very comfortable using a knife in the kitchen. I'm precise but working on my speed.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
So far...rocker.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Still learning....I've done it a few times with a whetstone and the results have been good.

This will be my first Japanese blade. I am looking for a blade that can be very sharp and is very precise. From my reading on your site, I am drawn to the Konosuke GS+ Togatta Gyuto. My only concern is the weight difference between this and my current knife. My Mercer is 10.4 oz. and the Togatta is 4.2 oz. [only because I have never used a blade that light]. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Last edited by MatrixEvo on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliff

Re: Trying for a 240 mm Gyuto

Post by cliff »

I think the Togatta would be a great addition to the Mercer. It will do everything up through, say, carrots. You'll want the heavier blade for things like squash, nuts, lobster shells and the like. The Konosuke will feel like a light saber. I have the regular HD2, not that model, but they are pretty close. It is a wonderful knife, incredibly precise. If you are looking for a one-and-done, I would go for a heavier knife. You have lots of options in your price range. I'd encourage you to think of a stainless clad AS, like the Kanehiro. The AS is not terribly reactive, and it holds its edge well for a very long time.

ETA -- even with the Kanehiro, you'll want to keep a beater knife.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

If you want to keep rocking, the Harukaze AS has a lot of belly.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html

Again, you'll still want a sturdier knife for the heavier work. There's a reason why, despite my Japanese knife collection, I still have an old Sabatier carbon on the rack.
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

cliff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am I think the Togatta would be a great addition to the Mercer. It will do everything up through, say, carrots. You'll want the heavier blade for things like squash, nuts, lobster shells and the like. The Konosuke will feel like a light saber. I have the regular HD2, not that model, but they are pretty close. It is a wonderful knife, incredibly precise. If you are looking for a one-and-done, I would go for a heavier knife. You have lots of options in your price range. I'd encourage you to think of a stainless clad AS, like the Kanehiro. The AS is not terribly reactive, and it holds its edge well for a very long time.

ETA -- even with the Kanehiro, you'll want to keep a beater knife.
Thank you so much for the insight! At this stage I think that a one-and-done [for the moment] would be good, so I will look for a heavier knife. The specifications of the Kanehiro AS look really good. I really like that there are many suitable options in each category of steel, price, and design. I'm very excited about choosing this knife! The more I read/interact with the CKTG community, the more I learn. Thank you.
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

Gregory27 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm If you want to keep rocking, the Harukaze AS has a lot of belly.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html

Again, you'll still want a sturdier knife for the heavier work. There's a reason why, despite my Japanese knife collection, I still have an old Sabatier carbon on the rack.
Thanks for the helpful feedback! The Harukaze AS looks great too - a thin profile but it's a bit heavier. Too right...there will always be the need for that juggernaut knife in the collection!

My reading lead me to liking the Yahiko White #2 Kurouchi

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2kugy24.html

I would really appreciate some thoughts about whether or not this would be a good choice for me at this stage. Thanks!
cliff

Post by cliff »

By all accounts that is a fantastic knife. the only issue, to my mind, is if you are up for the care carbon requires.

ETA - the cladding on that knife is stainless, so there is really not all that much extra care required.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

If you're not in a hurry, here's a couple more to consider (unfortunately both out of stock ATM).

Harukaze G3 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm - here https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html This is new currently and there's a thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13263 It's looking to be great value for money ($130) - just ordered mine yesterday.

Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 240 - here https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html Much respected knife on this forum and a bit more solid
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

cliff wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm By all accounts that is a fantastic knife. the only issue, to my mind, is if you are up for the care carbon requires.

ETA - the cladding on that knife is stainless, so there is really not all that much extra care required.
Super! Thanks much for that. I read up a bit about the care for reactive knives and I think I'm up for it. 8-)
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

Radar53 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm If you're not in a hurry, here's a couple more to consider (unfortunately both out of stock ATM).

Harukaze G3 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm - here https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html This is new currently and there's a thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13263 It's looking to be great value for money ($130) - just ordered mine yesterday.

Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 240 - here https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html Much respected knife on this forum and a bit more solid
Thanks so much, I really appreciate these suggestions. 8-)
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

You might take a look at KS/Sabatier profiled blades - long flat spot, decent belly, and great all around profile stuff. I learned years ago (more than many have been alive) with Sabatier knives - they can do any sort of cutting (push/pull, rock,chop), and the Japanese smiths have taken the cutting profile and added thin blades and amazing grinds to them.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/clfr25prgy.html

They are great all around knives, and all you really need for a single knife in the kitchen
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

I like the harukaze srs15 a lot, very good grinds and steel. The knife is not much to look at, has a (very good) western handle, and a curvy profile, bit i dont think that neither of those is a bad thing.

The grind hits the sweet spot, it is very thin, but still inspires a lot of confidence, the tip is nice and very thin, and as the blade has zero distal taper, it carries a bunch of convexity all the way to the tip.
It is completely stainless, sharpens easy, and stays sharp forever. It is a really, really good pro knife.
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

lsboogy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 pm You might take a look at KS/Sabatier profiled blades - long flat spot, decent belly, and great all around profile stuff. I learned years ago (more than many have been alive) with Sabatier knives - they can do any sort of cutting (push/pull, rock,chop), and the Japanese smiths have taken the cutting profile and added thin blades and amazing grinds to them.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/clfr25prgy.html

They are great all around knives, and all you really need for a single knife in the kitchen
Super! Thanks for this. I will check it out.
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

Igalor wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 am I like the harukaze srs15 a lot, very good grinds and steel. The knife is not much to look at, has a (very good) western handle, and a curvy profile, bit i dont think that neither of those is a bad thing.

The grind hits the sweet spot, it is very thin, but still inspires a lot of confidence, the tip is nice and very thin, and as the blade has zero distal taper, it carries a bunch of convexity all the way to the tip.
It is completely stainless, sharpens easy, and stays sharp forever. It is a really, really good pro knife.
Thank you! The review video was interesting and informative. Thanks again for sharing! All the options are so amazing [makes it just that bit harder to choose :geek: ]
Steel+Fire

Post by Steel+Fire »

MatrixEvo, any JK or higher end knife will not be a one and done. There are just some tasks that lower hardness knives like your Mercer will be more appropriate for. No matter which JK you choose any task that puts your blade in potential contact with hard stuff will be a job for the beater blade. Chopping hazel nuts, chuncking chocolate, cutting lobster shells, etc.

I would suggest starting off with something a bit heavier than the Kono GS as well. As a rocker it is important you modify you technique to avoid pushing the blade into the board so if you twist at all it will result in microchipping. Harder steel has different levels of forgiveness.
MatrixEvo

Post by MatrixEvo »

Steel+Fire wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:35 pm MatrixEvo, any JK or higher end knife will not be a one and done. There are just some tasks that lower hardness knives like your Mercer will be more appropriate for. No matter which JK you choose any task that puts your blade in potential contact with hard stuff will be a job for the beater blade. Chopping hazel nuts, chuncking chocolate, cutting lobster shells, etc.

I would suggest starting off with something a bit heavier than the Kono GS as well. As a rocker it is important you modify you technique to avoid pushing the blade into the board so if you twist at all it will result in microchipping. Harder steel has different levels of forgiveness.
Thanks much for the guidance and recommendations. There is definitely value in having a beater. Thanks especially for cautioning about the risk of micro-chipping.

One and done [for now] meant that I wanted a JK that could do most of the tasks that a JK can do [vegetables etc...no bones/shells] without having to get multiple JKs now. I'm sure that I will be getting more JK after my first...they all seem to have unique personalities; you just kinda want em' all 8-)

I am almost convinced that I will get the Yahiko White #2 Kurouchi as my first JK.