What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by Jeff B »

Love...me...some...RIBS!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:27 pm Beautiful weather in Chicagoland today, so I fired up the Horizon offset and smoked some tip-on spares over apple and oak . . .

Dig my new welding gloves! :D

Yay, August!
Wow! What a beautiful setup! Very jealous. :P
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Drewski wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am Wow! What a beautiful setup! Very jealous. :P
Thank you. I wish I had more time to mess around with it but it's not exactly a 'set it and forget it' situation. I probably fire it up about 30 times a year. It's best when the weather is pleasant enough for me sit nearby, so I can throw a split in the firebox as needed. I find that it's also a great opportunity for draining a bottle of bourbon, too (not in the firebox, of course :lol:)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ronnie_suburban

Drewski wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am Wow! What a beautiful setup! Very jealous. :P
Thank you. I wish I had more time to mess around with it but it's not exactly a 'set it and forget it' situation. I probably fire it up about 30 times a year. It's best when the weather is pleasant enough for me sit nearby, so I can throw a split in the firebox as needed. I find that it's also a great opportunity for draining a bottle of bourbon, too (not in the firebox, of course :lol:)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Jon Favreau and Roy Choi were messing around with cauliflower fried rice on The Chef Show (Netflix, S1-E6), which I watched a few weeks ago. Ever since, I become somewhat obsessed with it and have made it several times. Being homebound for a few days (and bored), I decided to give it another whirl today. I love cauliflower and I was skeptical at first. But this dish really scratches the itch.

For the most part, I follow their method and I typically I use a pretty standard 'clean out the fridge' build. The only significant variation is that I cook my eggs before I add them. I'm used to eating fried rice this way and I prefer it.

The set up
First two rows, around the horn from bottom right: cauliflower, leftover sauteed mushrooms, scallions, garlic, eggs, leftover smoked sausage, onion, purple & yellow carrots
Back row, left to right: peanut oil, homemade chili oil, toasted sesame oil, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce. Yeah, this time I bought pre-riced cauliflower. Today I just couldn't deal with the mess doing it myself would have created. :shock: :oops:

Eggs
Cooked first, as described above.

Begin: hot wok, peanut oil, sausage, onion, garlic, carrot, 2/3 of the scallions

All in now: Cook as long as you like, until desired level of veggie tenderness is achieved. Wait until the end and add the rest of the scallions, the chopped up egg and the liquids. Frozen peas, not pictured above, find their way in at the end. Be judicious with the liquids, especially the soy, fish and oyster. They're salty and a little goes a long way. Same for the toasted sesame oil - not salty but a little goes a long way. If you have good chili oil, no amount is too much! :lol:

A nice lunch and a solid diversion
=R=
Carter

Post by Carter »

Looks great Ron!

Been a while since I posted...was excited about some nice N. Carolina wahoo that I picked up today. Brought out my favorite Doi to do the portioning duties...what a knife! Also a shout out to H & H Distillery from nearby Asheville....one of my favorite new gins, Hwy 9.

ronnie_suburban

Carter wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 pm Looks great Ron!

Been a while since I posted...was excited about some nice N. Carolina wahoo that I picked up today. Brought out my favorite Doi to do the portioning duties...what a knife! Also a shout out to H & H Distillery from nearby Asheville....one of my favorite new gins, Hwy 9.

Looks great, Carter . . . especially that big ole' glass of icy gin! I'm not sure it's full enough! ;)

How are you going to cook the fish?
=R=
Carter

Post by Carter »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm Looks great, Carter . . . especially that big ole' glass of icy gin! I'm not sure it's full enough! ;)

Yeah...I messed up that first glass of gin...took 2 more practice glasses to get it right...joking aside, it is a new and local gin to me...makes a good martini and G&T.

Did a heavy pan roast on the fish with a carbon skillet and then in a 450 oven to finish....was very good, nice crust on exterior and still moist inside. Wahoo is not a common fish, but very tasty. Hard to target specifically, but we used to catch occasionally in Miami, they are a tremendous fighter and are one of the fastest fish.

This is a photo of a wahoo:

https://previews.123rf.com/images/sabli ... o-fish.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Carter wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm Looks great, Carter . . . especially that big ole' glass of icy gin! I'm not sure it's full enough! ;)

Yeah...I messed up that first glass of gin...took 2 more practice glasses to get it right...joking aside, it is a new and local gin to me...makes a good martini and G&T.

Did a heavy pan roast on the fish with a carbon skillet and then in a 450 oven to finish....was very good, nice crust on exterior and still moist inside. Wahoo is not a common fish, but very tasty. Hard to target specifically, but we used to catch occasionally in Miami, they are a tremendous fighter and are one of the fastest fish.

Very cool. I think I had wahoo once or twice but can't remember exactly where. It might have been in OBX.

There are several locally made gins here in Chicago that we enjoy. Maybe we can arrange an exchange . . .
=R=
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Carter wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Very cool. I think I had wahoo once or twice but can't remember exactly where. It might have been in OBX.

There are several locally made gins here in Chicago that we enjoy. Maybe we can arrange an exchange . . .
Or a passaround...
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:05 pm Jon Favreau and Roy Choi were messing around with cauliflower fried rice on The Chef Show (Netflix, S1-E6), which I watched a few weeks ago. Ever since, I become somewhat obsessed with it and have made it several times. Being homebound for a few days (and bored), I decided to give it another whirl today. I love cauliflower and I was skeptical at first. But this dish really scratches the itch.

Thanks for all the details. I caught that episode recently and I think your post will spur me on to give it a go.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Since we have a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes and many are split from rain I thought I would pick a large bowl of them and make a dish with "Tomato Essence". I got this recipe from Raymond Blanc you can find it on Youtube. I used it for mushroom risotto and a simple reduction of white wine, essence and scallop liquor. The sea scallops got smoked with pecan and a little hickory.

Tomato essence -

Smoked scallops with essence reduction, evoo and chiffonade of fresh basil. We really didn't want this meal to end - try this!
ronnie_suburban

From cabbage to bigos . . .

A trio of locally-made cured/smoked sausages (hot dogs from Joseph's Finest Meats + Kielbasa Zwyczajna and Kielbasa Lesna from Kurowski Sausage Co.), along with homemade sauerkraut given to me by a friend, chicken thigh, (the aforementioned) sauteed shredded cabbage, mushroom, onion and garlic.
=R=
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:19 pm From cabbage to bigos . . .

A trio of locally-made cured/smoked sausages (hot dogs from Joseph's Finest Meats + Kielbasa Zwyczajna and Kielbasa Lesna from Kurowski Sausage Co.), along with homemade sauerkraut given to me by a friend, chicken thigh, (the aforementioned) sauteed shredded cabbage, mushroom, onion and garlic.
Ronnie, I know the mornings are cooling off around here, but it ain't quite bigos weather yet! But never fear; bigos is coming.

Looks great.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

...it is ratatouille season, though.

ronnie_suburban

gastro gnome wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 pm Ronnie, I know the mornings are cooling off around here, but it ain't quite bigos weather yet! But never fear; bigos is coming.

Looks great.
Hehe, so true. Was a result of playing the hand my CSA dealt me and trying to clean out the fridge.

Your ratatouille looks sensational.
=R=
Danzo

Post by Danzo »

Cooked my first pie the other day for dinner with the folks. Fresh pear filling. More experimenting to do to get the bottom crust crispier. I never worked pastry so this is an unknown field for me. That’s one cluttered counter!
B9147E28-9260-4EE2-B1D2-E800063F6879.jpeg
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I found this in my kitchen today. Bonus points if you can guess what this is.
Attachments
20190908_165349.jpg
20190908_165359.jpg
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Drewski wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 pm I found this in my kitchen today. Bonus points if you can guess what this is.
Old. Ass. Cabbage.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Chocu1a wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:56 am
Drewski wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 pm I found this in my kitchen today. Bonus points if you can guess what this is.
Old. Ass. Cabbage.
Yahtzee! I was prepping cabbage (late May according to the knives and cabbage thread) and mysteriously lost an entire half cabbage. I couldn't find it for the life of me. Turns out it was in an upper cupboard behind a bunch of bowls. Still have no idea how it got there. Sometimes when I'm busy in the kitchen with a bunch of things on the go, I get into a daze and lose track of things/time. I'm tempted to eat it now anyway.