Recent Work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Carter

Re: Recent Work

Post by Carter »

This is a 270mm Watanabe gyuto that I re-handled in desert ironwood burl with honey buffalo horn and copper accents. The saya is desert ironwood with a hand turned and knurled copper pin.

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

That looks phenomenal Carter! Can’t wait to get my hands on it 😁
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Stunning work 👏👏
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

+1 on "stunning"

I've currently a 240 Toyama B#2 in iron cladding. Wow, what a knife. It's beefiness and sheer size completely belie the elegance with which it cuts!.
That ironwood is something something
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Carter

Post by Carter »

The is a custom 278mm gyuto made of differentially hardened W2 carbon steel for one of our illustrious CKTG Forum members. The handle is made from curly mango with buffalo horn and nickel-silver. The saya is African Blackwood with a hand turned and knurled nickel-silver pin. Despite this being a large knife, it is very light and nimble.

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Simply awesome 👏
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Gorgeous work. Profile looks very similar to the passaround W2 knife. Curvy like a rocker's dream. What an impressive length!
It's really something to see what you do, both with steel and with woods! Beautiful
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
delmar

Post by delmar »

Thanks Carter. Not sure I can accept the tag "illustrious", but I will gladly accept the knife when it is delivered.

For those peeking at it, Carter started with sketches of an Ikeda KS and Masamoto KS, with suggestions from myself to expand these out about 10% in terms of length, profile and blade height. Carter recommended mashing in a bit of Kono Fujiyama profile towards the back of the profile, so its got a bit of back belly. Visually, and I very pleased with what I see. I want a large knife for heavy processing that doesn't feel like a kettlebell 20 min into a prep session. And also something with a profile and grind that act as a slicer for boneless proteins and for sashimi/nagiri/maki/sushi in a pinch.

I am pretty damn sure Carter nailed it. As with everything I have had in hand from Carter, I am anticipating performance that exceeds the exceptional looks.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

They both look fantastic!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys.

Bummer is when a saya you have made decides to contract and the knife no longer fits….Happiness is finding another knife blade that fits well

Carter

Post by Carter »

This is a set of differentially hardened W2 blades, a 225 gyuto and a 145mm petty. Handles are desert ironwood burl and the sayas are regular ironwood.

Carter

Post by Carter »

When I walked into the shop today, I noticed a roll of blue tape on the ground...unusual...then I looked up and saw a blank space on the wall where a 4 shelf cabinet normally resides. It is a major mess and I am not sure the extent of the damage to sharpening stones, expensive hand planes, a multitude of small tools, etc. I had not planned on spending hours cleaning up today.....UGH!!!

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Oh, that’s no fun. I had a wire shelf rip off the wall once in the pantry with all my pots and pans and stuff on it in the middle of the night. What a racket! One cast iron pan too many I guess. Hope your toys are ok :?
Gogogo545

Post by Gogogo545 »

Carter wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am When I walked into the shop today, I noticed a roll of blue tape on the ground...unusual...then I looked up and saw a blank space on the wall where a 4 shelf cabinet normally resides. It is a major mess and I am not sure the extent of the damage to sharpening stones, expensive hand planes, a multitude of small tools, etc. I had not planned on spending hours cleaning up today.....UGH!!!

Oooh that got to hurt, especially the jnats :cry:
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Oh man, that sucks, hopefully no damage to your tools.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys...it was a PIA, but nothing significantly damaged or broken....biggest issue is some down time and a few hours to build a new cabinet...the one that broke was an old particle board unit that was in the barn when we moved here.

On a better note, although not perfect....I am getting close on my first 26C3 blade, it is a 250'ish gyuto that is differentially hardened at 64/65HRC....excited to show it soon with a special handle and saya....the down side is she bit me today....twice in a week....guess that means she is ready to get out of the gates and start chopping ingredients.
Carter

Post by Carter »

A matched set for one of our Forum members....a 270mm Suji (37mm tall and 5.9oz/167g) and 185mm Petty (31mm tall and 4oz/113g). The handles are made of amboyna burl and bog oak supplied by the customer. The steel is differentially hardened W2 at 62-63Rc.

Thanks for looking.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Shipping Day....always makes me happy!

Carter

Post by Carter »

This is a new handle/saya for a Konosuke HD 270mm gyuto. The handle is ironwood burl and the saya is ironwood.

pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Carter wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:54 pm This is a new handle/saya for a Konosuke HD 270mm gyuto. The handle is ironwood burl and the saya is ironwood.

Ironwood never looked sooooo good! I’m digging the matching mosaic in the saya pin. Strong work as usual, Carter 👍🏻
--- Steve