Konosuke Updates

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jbart65

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by jbart65 »

A Kono SKD 240? I'd be all in.

Still waiting to see if Konosuke produces a taller ginsan MM, something around 50-51.
Jeffry B
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am A Kono SKD 240? I'd be all in.

Still waiting to see if Konosuke produces a taller ginsan MM, something around 50-51.
I really like my SKD for sure.
I was really lucky to have found it ...twice.
Don't know if you remember Jeffry, but that was the one that got stollen by the post office and sold to a guy that sold it back to me on Ebay!!!!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Craziest story I’ve seen on this site, Ray.

I’ve had my eyes on the Yoshikane SKD varIants for a long time, but the Konosuke profile speaks to me.
Jeffry B
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I got one of the recent 210's and it is SWEET! Flawless fit and finish and probably about the sharpest OOB I have ever seen, right up there with my shibata.
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

I'm afraid we don't have any plan to make this so far..
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Kosuke wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:43 am

I figured. I am puzzled as to why the MM B2 knives are 50 mm tall, but Konosuke ginsan knives tend to run much shorter. I am sure you have a good reason.

Thanks for answering. Guess I’ll have to settle for ... an SKD!
Jeffry B
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am

I figured. I am puzzled as to why the MM B2 knives are 50 mm tall, but Konosuke ginsan knives tend to run much shorter. I am sure you have a good reason.

I've always been curious about this as well, great question. It is the only reason I have yet to pick one up myself.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
salemj

Post by salemj »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I've always been curious about this as well, great question. It is the only reason I have yet to pick one up myself.
I'm pretty sure that only the first run of B2s were over 47/8mm tall. So I'd suspect that once that run went through, the profile was "corrected" and both lines were set to be the same. I don't check all the knives, but I am certain that I've seen several B2 in 240mm with custom handles that were 47-8mm tall at the heel rather than about 50mm (like my own, from the first batch). And I'll add that the additional curvature and convexing on the SHORTER height (i.e., my ginsans) was absolutely an advantage in terms of food release, even if it means the knives were not as crazy thin/tall in the grind.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Joe's description matches my MM B2 -- I can't compare it, but food release is very, very good, and I think it's 48mm tall.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

salemj wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that only the first run of B2s were over 47/8mm tall. So I'd suspect that once that run went through, the profile was "corrected" and both lines were set to be the same. I don't check all the knives, but I am certain that I've seen several B2 in 240mm with custom handles that were 47-8mm tall at the heel rather than about 50mm (like my own, from the first batch). And I'll add that the additional curvature and convexing on the SHORTER height (i.e., my ginsans) was absolutely an advantage in terms of food release, even if it means the knives were not as crazy thin/tall in the grind.
i agree about the food release. so many people seem to be so set on 50mm or more for a 240, but there are some advantages to the shorter height.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

It be nice if they made the
Konosuke GS+ Nashiji Kiritsuke 210 again. But I don't think they have any plans right now to make any more.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm

i agree about the food release. so many people seem to be so set on 50mm or more for a 240, but there are some advantages to the shorter height.
I didn't find any advantages to the 46 mm height of my original Konosuke ginsan, Ramon. I am not a stickler for 50 mm or taller knives. A few of my favorites, like the Yahiko Nashiji and Tetsuhiro Hammered 240s, are below 50.

Yet I definitely prefer 240 knives that are at least 48-49 mm. I can't explain, but they just seem to either perform better or be more versatile. The only knives I've used that are almost equally as good at chopping, pushing and rocking have been 50 mm or taller.

A Kono ginsan at least as tall as a the MM blue would suit me just fine. I like the profile on the MM blue.
Jeffry B
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^ I'm with JBart on this one.

My Kashima has probably been my favorite 240 for a long time now. Yet at about 48mm there are those times I kinda / sorta say gee if only this were a little taller... Except for those times I'm saying gee love how nice a slicing profile this knife has...

Just because I haven't had my cake and eaten it too yet... doesn't mean I won't. A boy can dream......
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

I'm so sorry about the late answer..

Let me tell the reason.

The blacksmith of MM blue #2 and (MM) ginsan are same, and his original shape had very short heel height.

We've produced with the higher heel when we make MM blades, but we still have old ginsan stock with the shorter heel "even now"!
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Thank you for the post!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Kosuke wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm so sorry about the late answer..

Let me tell the reason.

The blacksmith of MM blue #2 and (MM) ginsan are same, and his original shape had very short heel height.

We've produced with the higher heel when we make MM blades, but we still have old ginsan stock with the shorter heel "even now"!
Ha ha. Now that is funny, Kosuke. Got to use up all that old ginsan stock!

Guess I’ll just have to wait until it gets all used up. Funny how decisions made some time ago affect decisions in the present. (-:
Jeffry B
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

:)
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

We're sending these today!

=====================================
Wa-Funayuki-Gyuto 255
(FM Blue #2 / Ho Oct.)
(FT Blue #2 / Ho Oct.)

Wa-Gyuto 240
(FM White #1 / Khii Ebony)

Wa-Gyuto 210
(FM White #1 / Khii Laurel, Khii Ebony)
=====================================

Actually, this FT can be the last batch unfortunately..

(we've found that we can't keep the quality..)

We'll try to provide more FM and new series by the different sharpener.

I'm so sorry about the inconvenience..

Thank you for understanding.

Kosuke
e.chou

Post by e.chou »

Funayukis are up on the site!
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

I just popped over to the site randomly for the FT Funay. Saw it was available (yes I was checking periodically) and hit send order. Cart empty.
I get it, but fuuuuuuuck that's annoying. Bad taste in the mouth for sure.