What are some recommendable nontraditional yanagibas?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with things like the Echigo Douraku White-2, the JCK Kagayaki VG-1, the stainless-handle Kikumori, or other such things.

Thanks to anyone who might know.
Jeff B

Re: What are some recommendable nontraditional yanagibas?

Post by Jeff B »

What exactly does "nontraditional" mean? It's a yanagiba or it isn't.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:13 pm What exactly does "nontraditional" mean? It's a yanagiba or it isn't.
I listed some examples. I said nontraditional, not "not a yanagiba". By nontraditional I meant of a design that isn't traditional for yanagibas. (For examples, the ones I listed did not have the legacy-style Japanese handles; perhaps other yanagibas might exist that might deviate from the legacy norm in yet other ways.).

If you have experience with those, or can recommend some others, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Honestly, I was looking at this just before and the thought that went through my mind was "this would make a great Yanagiba substitute given the heel height and steel," and then I saw your topic...it clearly differs from a traditional yanagiba in some notable ways, but in terms of the ability to function as a yanagiba, it is all essentially there.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/satashki27.html
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Qapla' wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:13 pm What exactly does "nontraditional" mean? It's a yanagiba or it isn't.
I listed some examples. I said nontraditional, not "not a yanagiba". By nontraditional I meant of a design that isn't traditional for yanagibas. (For examples, the ones I listed did not have the legacy-style Japanese handles; perhaps other yanagibas might exist that might deviate from the legacy norm in yet other ways.).

If you have experience with those, or can recommend some others, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Aside from the western handles these are yanagibas. What other differences are you referring to? If the blade is a different shape or proportion it's not a yanagiba. Obviously there are other slicers out there like the one salemj pointed to, but that is just a yanagiba with a kirituke tip. Others would include Fugihikis and Takobikis and Sujihikis (but those are double bevel). So I'm not sure what your "non traditional" question really relates to.

A yanagiba is...a yanagiba! Single bevel. Thin, Long, Change those and it's not a yanagiba anymore ;)
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

While i have no experience with them in use, Jin yanagibas are relatively "non-traditional" although maintain all of the Yanagiba traits.

Ive held one in my hand, and are of great quality. I am no single bevel user, however.

Mowgs
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

What are you looking to cut/use the knife for?
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

mauichef wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:22 pm Aside from the western handles these are yanagibas. What other differences are you referring to? If the blade is a different shape or proportion it's not a yanagiba. Obviously there are other slicers out there like the one salemj pointed to, but that is just a yanagiba with a kirituke tip. Others would include Fugihikis and Takobikis and Sujihikis (but those are double bevel). So I'm not sure what your "non traditional" question really relates to.

A yanagiba is...a yanagiba! Single bevel. Thin, Long, Change those and it's not a yanagiba anymore ;)
Mowgface wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm While i have no experience with them in use, Jin yanagibas are relatively "non-traditional" although maintain all of the Yanagiba traits.

Ive held one in my hand, and are of great quality. I am no single bevel user, however.
Kalaeb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:58 pm What are you looking to cut/use the knife for?
Me personally? I'm personally most interested in people's experiences with non-Japanese-handled yanagibas, and whether the ones available are good. I'd use one for yanagiba stuff, nothing out of the ordinary there. But more generally I was curious about less-orthodox designs in general.

Regarding the Jin and other powder-metallurgy-steel ones, Yoshihiro and Kikumori seem to make them in R2; Sakon at some point used to make them in SRS-15, and Akifusa seems to stil make them too.

Regarding other blade-design variants, I wonder how users of the sakimaru-yanagibas or similar such things view them vis-a-vis sakimaru-takohiki's or vis-a-vis orthodox yanagibas?
Last edited by Qapla' on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Japanese knife imports sells Jin, but they are a pretty penny.

The copper layer used to aid the forge weld looks slick as well.

Mowgs
ken123

Post by ken123 »

A bit confused. Would you also be considering other Japanese knives like various Mukimono or rarer blades like hamokiri?

---
Ken