Question on proper storage of carbon knives

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
wxchef10

Question on proper storage of carbon knives

Post by wxchef10 »

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 4.33.49 PM.jpg
I now have 4 beautiful carbon knives: AS, B#2, and W#2. Since I have not owned reactive knives before, I need to know how it is best to store them between uses. I have a cork in-drawer knifedock and if the knives are completely dry, can they be stored in there without fear of rusting? I really don't want to put any oil on them in that dock. I have the original boxes and the VCI paper that they came with. They are still stored that way.
bruin

Re: Question on proper storage of carbon knives

Post by bruin »

I store mine in sayas in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid that also has a desiccant packet in it. I would imagine that drawer insert would be fine, I would just periodically check on and dry wipe any knives you aren’t regularly using.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think you'll be OK but It wouldn't hurt to keep a sheet of VCI paper in the bottom of the drawer or a desiccant. Check your knives regularly for a while, if the cork absorbs moisture you can get a rusting problem.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

I have some desiccant packets around the house that I can put in that drawer. I have two of these knifedocks (one like pictured and one that is about half the size). They share the extra wide drawer with my spices. Climatically, I live in Phoenix so it is dry here most of the year. I do not have sayas for 3 of the 4 knives.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Sounds like you'll be just fine to me.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

As long as you are using them on a regular basis you will be good. Where do you live? If you are costal you may consider something else, but otherwise, all good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 am ...Where do you live? If you are costal you may consider something else...
wxchef10 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:29 pm ...Climatically, I live in Phoenix so it is dry here most of the year...
salemj

Post by salemj »

Just to be clear: when you say "store," you mean storing between uses, right?

I would never long-term store carbon knives in a drawer like that—I would clean them, oil them, and store them in original boxes or sayas in a dry closet. Otherwise, I'd pay close attention the advice above: cork systems like that are definitely less tolerant than wood: the wood systems are more exposed, have wider slots, and help to dissipate leftover moisture much more effectively. The cork is totally fine if everything is always dry, but if moisture is involved, it is far more likely to trap the moisture than to help evaporate it. This isn't a scientific explanation, but just consider how a wine cork works versus how an oak barrel does. The barrel needs to be sealed up, treated, and kept from drying out while also absorbing and interacting with the spirits, whereas the bit of cork is self-sealing, swells to hold in moisture, doesn't mix flavours (meaning it likes to take in moisture more than letting it out), and can maintain that posture for decades.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

When it's humid it makes sense to me to lightly oil my knives that are not in rotation. If you are in a humid or salt water location, you will have an environment more prone to corrosion. My kitchen knives get veg oil and a wash except for the ones I use every day. The kit knives are all oiled when they go back in the bag and get washed before a shift start, and then are re-oiled and placed back in knife roll
wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Yes, I do mean "store between uses".

With my other knives, all stainless until now, I wash and dry thoroughly with towels. I leave them out to be extra sure they are dry before they go back into the counter knife block or the in-drawer cork devices shown in my first post. There should be no moisture source for the cork to absorb. I will do as suggested and oil and store in original packing materials any knives that I don't plan on using regularly.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

Since you live in the Phoenix area you have a lot of leeway in storage and it sounds like you are already doing things right. The low humidity there is your friend, I also live in the Phoenix metro area and have carbon knives. The biggest issue here is making sure to fully dry the knives, I finish up with a microfiber cloth (CKTG sells them). The cork should be fine for the area with how you thoroughly dry the knives, although air circulation is best. I just spend a couple of months on Vancouver Island and had to up my game there, but Phoenix is easy.
Ron
wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Thanks Ron (and everyone). Good to know everything as I am looking forward to using and enjoying my new knives without rust! I'll look into the microfiber cloth right now. I have read that if I do get rust, I can fix my knives.
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

My experience
Storing in wood saya long term hasn't been successful, has led to moisture retention and rust. You can see this if you bake your saya at a low temp, 175-200F for 20-30". It will drive out moisture that you can see if you put the knife back in the saya. It steams up the blade. I also live in the PNW so you very well might have good luck in AZ.

Best luck is:
1 Wash hot so minor moisture evaporates off the blade as you dry it.
2 Wait 15" for bone dry
3 Apply thin camellia oil
4 store in something like your first photo, plenty of air circulation

You'll notice that's also how many professional shops display knives. Oiled in open air. No rust!
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

Also speaking as a chem lab guy, desiccant only works in a sealed container, needs replacement from time to time.

Gun owners have electric heated bars that go in safes to drive off humidity. If you have very expensive knives, might be something to consider.
timc247

Post by timc247 »

dry em, oil em with tsubabki oil, store them so the edges doesnt touch a thing and no moisture gets in.
Calcifer1

Post by Calcifer1 »

Has anyone tried bees wax and mineral oil?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I wipe my blades dry after washing with a clean paper towel until it is dry, no water droplets/smears left. I usually just put it back in my knife block after being out in the air for a few minutes. Never had a knife rust in my block doing that.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I dry mine on a towel, then put them in my microwave as it is above the stove and is usually 90 degrees, F. No, I don't run the microwave with a knife in it. I figure the heat in there finishes drying the knife. I put it away a few hours later.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

XexoX wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am I dry mine on a towel, then put them in my microwave as it is above the stove and is usually 90 degrees, F. No, I don't run the microwave with a knife in it. I figure the heat in there finishes drying the knife. I put it away a few hours later.
OK, but you still had me laughing by the middle of your first sentence. :D
David