Made my first CKTG purchase, Makoto 210mm AS Ryusei Gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
CosmoKramer

Made my first CKTG purchase, Makoto 210mm AS Ryusei Gyuto

Post by CosmoKramer »

So on my home chef journey I started over a decade ago, my first purchase was a "good" chefs knife. I went with a JA Henckels $150 8" chefs knife. It's a durable beast that I thought held and kept a decent edge and was thick enough to take a pounding. It was fine.

Through the years, people have recommended Chef Knives To Go as a good resource to get professional grade Japanese style knives with good steel. I even recommended the site myself because the prices seemed reasonable and the forum there is helpful. But never bought one myself assuming I wasn't good enough to get the best out of a great Japanese knife. I also browsed here on the forum, and even reached out to Mark a year or so ago about a Makoto White #2 Gyuto since its mentioned here a bunch but it was and is sold out. He recommended the Ryousei.

Well, I bit the bullet a few days ago. It came in the mail today along with an Imanishi 1k/6k combo sharpening stone, flattening plate, stone holder, and angle guides.

I already had dinner plans, but wanting to take it for a test drive I pulled out a small white onion I had lying around.

Sweet. Fancy. Moses. This thing is fabulous.

I get my knives sharpened relatively regularly, but my Henckle has NEVER been this sharp or handle this well. It was like I didn't even have to try!

Thank you to Mark, Sue(I accidentally submitted two orders back to back), and anyone else at CKTG!

I'm already addicted. :D
Bluenoser87

Re: Made my first CKTG purchase, Makoto 210mm AS Ryusei Gyuto

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Ha! That was pretty much my reaction when I bought my first jknife. Eye opening to say the least.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I can almost say with a certain that is most peoples reaction when they first start using Jknives. It certainly was mine. Couple that with the fact you started out with an amazing knife that punches way above its price class.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

That's very kind of you. Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy it. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I came to CKTG looking at wet stones and now have a few thousand dollars worth of knives... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm I came to CKTG looking at wet stones and now have a few thousand dollars worth of knives... :?
And don’t forget a free coin. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm I came to CKTG looking at wet stones and now have a few thousand dollars worth of knives... :?
And don’t forget a free coin. :)
Made it worth every night on the couch! 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Matches my first reaction - I started with tojiro DP series, wound up gifting that Gyuto to my sister and her husband when I moved on. The Makoto is a wonderful knife have the exact same one - my only 210 (other gyutos are 240). Daughter has asked for another J knife for Christmas- thinking of the Makotoif I she is willing to move to Japanese handles.

Enjoy (and be prepared to buy more)
Paul
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

PaulME wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 am Matches my first reaction - I started with tojiro DP series, wound up gifting that Gyuto to my sister and her husband when I moved on. The Makoto is a wonderful knife have the exact same one - my only 210 (other gyutos are 240). Daughter has asked for another J knife for Christmas- thinking of the Makotoif I she is willing to move to Japanese handles.

Enjoy (and be prepared to buy more)
Paul
If she doesn’t want a Japanese handle try this one that’s on sale.
Tanaka VG-10 Nashiji Western Gyuto 210mm
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagy211.html
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.