What type of cutting board do I need?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Post Reply
HelloSir
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm

What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by HelloSir » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

I currently have this board https://www.amazon.ca/OXO-Good-Grips-15 ... HEJS90PWNX

I just bought a Makoto Ryusei 240mm gyuto as my first "real" knife.

Question: is that board good enough for the knife, or will it dull it quickly or risk damaging it? It seems to be a soft plastic board as it quickly developed lots of marks on it from my relatively dull knives. I read on a site that some plastic boards can be too soft, and the knife could go into the board and with any lateral pressure create a chip.

If I need a new board to protect my new knife, are there any good budget plastic options? I prefer plastic as I have a small sink and can put it directly in the dishwasher when done with it (easy cleanup).

Thanks!

User avatar
Corradobrit
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by Corradobrit » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm

I'd only use plastic boards in a professional kitchen or for raw meat. Get yourself a good quality end grain board. Doesn't really matter if its walnut, maple etc. I prefer rubber feet to reduce movement and accumulation of moisture.

This guy makes fantastic boards for the money. I've had one as my main board for the past 3 years. Still looks like new with minimal maintenance (mineral oil soak once a month).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Walnut-B ... Swarlb8sjG

User avatar
enjay
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by enjay » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

This is another excellent option:

https://www.korin.com/HiSoft-Cutting-Board_3

User avatar
jbart65
Posts: 2883
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by jbart65 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

I mainly use a custom end grain board, but I have three of the Oxos you listed. One red-rimmed one for my wife and her fruit. A large black-rimmed one for meat, chicken and fish and smaller black-rammed one for garlic and chiles.

Your knives will be fine on them, but end grain is really the way to go.
Jeffry B

HelloSir
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by HelloSir » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 pm

jbart65 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm
I mainly use a custom end grain board, but I have three of the Oxos you listed. One red-rimmed one for my wife and her fruit. A large black-rimmed one for meat, chicken and fish and smaller black-rammed one for garlic and chiles.

Your knives will be fine on them, but end grain is really the way to go.
Thanks. I like the plastic board for ease of cleaning (I make small, short meals inoften, so cleaning a big wooden board is a large % of my cooking time). I'll stay with the plastic board if it won't damage or rapidly dull the knives.

Gregory27
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Location: Sheboygan, WI

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by Gregory27 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Corradobrit wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm
I'd only use plastic boards in a professional kitchen or for raw meat. Get yourself a good quality end grain board. Doesn't really matter if its walnut, maple etc. I prefer rubber feet to reduce movement and accumulation of moisture.

This guy makes fantastic boards for the money. I've had one as my main board for the past 3 years. Still looks like new with minimal maintenance (mineral oil soak once a month).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Walnut-B ... Swarlb8sjG
My wife bought me one of those (a BIG sucker) when I was looking for a new board. It's solid, and has held up well. Definitely needs some oiling right off the bat, however.

User avatar
Corradobrit
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by Corradobrit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Gregory27 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm
Corradobrit wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm
I'd only use plastic boards in a professional kitchen or for raw meat. Get yourself a good quality end grain board. Doesn't really matter if its walnut, maple etc. I prefer rubber feet to reduce movement and accumulation of moisture.

This guy makes fantastic boards for the money. I've had one as my main board for the past 3 years. Still looks like new with minimal maintenance (mineral oil soak once a month).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Walnut-B ... Swarlb8sjG
My wife bought me one of those (a BIG sucker) when I was looking for a new board. It's solid, and has held up well. Definitely needs some oiling right off the bat, however.
For sure but I think its good practice to oil every new board. They can always take more. Cleanup is a cinch even on a wood board. Cut, wipe and job done. Only thing I don't put on it is raw meat.

Calcifer123
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 am

Re: What type of cutting board do I need?

Post by Calcifer123 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Endgrain walnut boreds are great and I use a thick soft plastic cutting board for meat

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: polytope and 4 guests