Show us your knife collection.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: Show us your knife collection.

Post by Jeff B »

I warn everyone that ask me about getting a Japanese knife, they are like potato chips,"you can't have just one!"
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:15 am I warn everyone that ask me about getting a Japanese knife, they are like potato chips,"you can't have just one!"
Who says I cant have just one!?... Of each! :D As long as I'm spending your money, right? Then you can do things like decide you don't want to use a shiny knife because you don't want to spend the time to polish it, haha. I'm not sure where I would put all of the boxes though.
Sam
Vedrath

Post by Vedrath »

So this is where I'm currently at, kitchen knives only of course, ones not pictured are the beaters (victorinox, cozzini etc) and my newest a Konosuke Madei nakiri burnt chestnut handle. Left to right Sakai Takayuki kasumitogi deba (left handed) 165mm. Takeda nas kogatana. Takeda nas 210(235 actual) gyuto. Takeda nas 210 kiritsuke. Takeda nas 240 deba. Takeda nas 270 gyuto. Takeda nas 240 cleaver. Takeda nas 270 yanagiba custom gidgee handle. 1920's J.A Henckel carbon steel 14.5" chef knife. The "Hillbilly gyuto" my first stock removal project from a hardened carbon steel diamond cutoff wheel from a quickie saw, set in hickory. Dexter russell 8" Chinese cleaver (my primary work beater). Bottom left shun kaji set(vg-10, my first "really nice" knives). Bottom right konosuke hd2's (240 and a 270).
Attachments
20230802_233007.jpg
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

That is a pretty solid collection. With a whole set of Takedas and a couple Konosukes, you've got a good selection of some of the most envied J-knives out there!

I have a Dexter cleaver myself, curious if you have any trouble with it sticking to food in your use. I once got it so stuck in a potato it wouldn't budge without some serious negotiating. Other than that, I have a lot of fun with it.
Vedrath

Post by Vedrath »

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it! I love my dexter russell, one of the best bangs for your buck out there and can take some serious punishment. I chop/ push cut exclusively but mostly chop and don't have too much problems with stickage, but that mirror finish acts like a suction cup to thin cuts of waxy potatoes, cucumbers, juicy peppers and such
epaulcdaid

Post by epaulcdaid »

Haven’t posted in awhile. Takeda family. Mix of classic and stainless.
Attachments
IMG_0705.jpeg
garchtoto

Post by garchtoto »

epaulcdaid wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:30 pm Haven’t posted in awhile. Takeda family. Mix of classic and stainless.
Awesome Takeda Collection!!
Sammie

Post by Sammie »

My modest collection…
IMG_1151.jpeg
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I like that Santokus on the right 2nd from the bottom, what is that?
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

In fact, care to elaborate on what all of these are? Looks like a good set of options. Is that a single bevel Deba in there?
Sammie

Post by Sammie »

Kekoa wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:15 pm In fact, care to elaborate on what all of these are? Looks like a good set of options. Is that a single bevel Deba in there?
Thank you!
The top one is a Tetsujin Met Flow 240mm
Ikenami deba single bevel in B2 180mm
Manaka santoku B2 165mm
Ikenami bannou W1 135
The two on the left I use for small fish and deboning chicken as they are thick and that helps with preventing chips. Both are Iwami Okamitsu B1 warikomi 120mm. One was a bigger knife that was thinner by the maker. I absolutely love those little knives. Edge retention toon is fantastic and they feel great in hand….
Sammie

Post by Sammie »

Kekoa wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:15 pm In fact, care to elaborate on what all of these are? Looks like a good set of options. Is that a single bevel Deba in there?
By the way this might sound retarded but the red sandalwood handle of that Manaka smelled so good when new that it was intoxicating to me. So much so that I reached out to the store to ask of it was treated with something. Unfortunately it was not and the scent has faded since… :roll:
youngpointery

Post by youngpointery »

Greetings group. Quick question: Can you identify who made this knife and any other info on it? Many thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0013.jpeg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Looks to be a short Balinese cleaver (Blakas or Belakas)? And welcome to the forums!
Sammie

Post by Sammie »

Reminds me of the spinework on my custom razor from Joe Chandler, but the knife doesn’t look like his work…
epaulcdaid

Post by epaulcdaid »

tempImage7e5pWZ.gif
Not the full collection, but my current daily drivers. Left to right Takeda AS classic 270 suji, Konosuke 255 B2, Hatsukokoro Nakagawa Ginsan 240, Konosuke HD2 150, Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo B1 165, Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo B1 210, Isasmedjan Jonas Johnson wrought iron clad (unknown core steel) integral 240, Sakai Kikumori Choyo B1 240, Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo extra height B1 240
trancher

Post by trancher »

epaulcdaid wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 am
tempImage7e5pWZ.gif
With their own spotlight no less. :D Do they get a curtain call at the end of the performance? :D
roaduck

Post by roaduck »

First of all may I congratulate you all for sharing your wisdom, knowledge and gorgeous pictures of mainly rare handmade Japanese artisan knives and outside knives in exotic steels - they are all truly amazing - well done to you all !

To me, until fairly recently a knife was just a tool and I collected a variety of shapes and sizes - mostly budget Chinese ones.
I have one decent knife. an English bespoke caidao in RWL-34 that a collector offered me thousands for but I am saving it for my son when I die.

I am afraid all the sharpies are in bed asleep - because it`s late !

Nope - it would have taken me all night to get them out, arrange them, light them and photograph them and put them all safely back in bed.

So to peruse...
Here`s a few choppers with a triple cut Sheffield steel and a diamond sharpening rod
Here`s a couple of bespoke oak knife boxes and bunches of scissors.
The tall black-handled knife is a 15" commercial cheese cutter that is about two foot long and the two big scissors at the back are 20 inches 3lb beasts with 1cm - over 1/3rd of an inch thick blades.
Here`s two bunches of knives
This is three bunches of knives
For scale the two dark wooden handle knives with 3 rivets each are 19 inches long in total.
The white handled one at the front is 15 inches long but looks tiny next to the 22" blade black handle Dick kebab knife on the right and the 19.5 inch blade Sabatier carbon with a light wood handle and 3 rivets on the left.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

roaduck wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:49 am ...
This is three bunches of knives...
And here I thought keeping them loose in a drawer was a bad idea.... :shock: :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
roaduck

Post by roaduck »

Haha Jeff B - you`re so right mate - I have no space in my tiny kitch - the drawer is deadly and so is the wall rack !
I`ll give you a prize if you can spot the 6 knives and 4 pairs of scissors on the wall rack - it`s chocka - haha !
The corner of my kitchen is not for children - or rodents lol !
What makes my sharpies lethal is my new Tormek T-1 diamond wheel knife bench sharpener - it even came with adhesive plasters - I kid you not !
If I get a cut or fall out on an all weekend vodka sesh I just put masking tape over the bloody thing or sew the wound up - I`m allergic to hospitals - now they are dangerous !