Black Lotus Knives

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Jeff B

Re: Black Lotus Knives

Post by Jeff B » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 pm
...Dirty wrought is where it’s at!!!
Sounds like something I used to say in my 20's... :? 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Knife is suppose to land on my porch tomorrow. I should have the handle installed no later than Tuesday. I’m excited to put my eyes on Steve’s handy work with those finger stones and then try out that blade, gonna be fun!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I might get to use it by Thanksgiving....
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm

:lol:
Jeff B wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm
I might get to use it by Thanksgiving....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:58 pm

J david wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Wrought iron is low carbon steel with lots of slag (low grade). The slag gives it its lines that looks similar to Damascus but they are not nearly the same in composition. What we refer to as regular iron cladding is much more refined and likely higher carbon (though it varies greatly from one smith to the next). The Smiths use the good steel for the core and sometimes whatever bullshit they can get cheaply for the cladding. This is a marginal amount of money per knife, but x 1,000 it makes a big difference in bottom line. Some wrought iron is sold as "vintage" and can be pricey, but for the most part, it is cheap material. It is polishers like you, Steve, that makes it sought after. 😉
So succinct ;) Thanks!

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Just to keep you all in the loop the pony express has not delivered the knife, typical for where I live. I’m hoping to get it Monday and get the handle installed by Tuesday and sent to participant number two the same day, Andreu.