Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Insnekamkze86

Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Hello I am inquiring about suehiro waterstones now. And I'm a little confused between the two lines since I've read and been told the Rika is what the 5k stones from suehiro are called and that they don't have a sepeate line of stone.

I'm asking because I see CKTG has a the Cerax line along with the Rika line in the suehiro brand of stones in simlair grits.
Also because I couldmt get a clear answer on the old forum or anywhere else. About what the difference is between the stones.

I'm still undecided on what stones I'm getting but if I go for soaking stones I think I will be going with suehiro but wanted to know if anyone knew if there was a difference or are they the same stone. Also what are your guys and gals experience with these stones as well.
Radar53

Re: Suehiro Cerax vs Rika stones.

Post by Radar53 »

I'm getting this weird feeling of déja vu ................
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

If you use the search function, or sometimes google you will find plenty of discussions on this topic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cerax+v ... e&ie=UTF-8
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Roma and Cerax stones are about the same size (they do make thicker models as well) and the Debado line seems to be much bigger. Rika stones are a bit cheaper, and they are also a bit softer - I have a 5K Rika somewhere, and it's harder than the stuff I like to use, but seems to be a great stone for many. The Cerax stuff is easy to learn on - it's a little harder than a Rika (much softer than shaptons) and they don't need as long a soak.
In other threads you seemed to be looking at splash and go, the Cerax can almost do that - spray them or let them sit under running water for a minute or three and you should be off and running.
Both would be fine stones as first water stones - and you will never figure things out until you try them. Like I've said in other threads, the Cerax combo stones are what I give to beginning sharpeners - lets them learn without having a cupboard full of stones and having a big sharpening pond like too many of us. I'd just make the jump with a 1K/3K stone and start learning. I did send you a pm, and that offer still holds. Jump in, the water's fine.
Papou

Post by Papou »

https://www.suehiro-toishi.com/en/
Uploaded this post before but dissapeared to dataheaven im thinking lol..
Mate have a squizz at the Suehiro Corps list of stones and you will see they make variouse stones from the Cerax to Debados to Rika etc for variouse uses over time or from feedback of users wishes ??.
The Cerax seems to come under the normal stone umberella , whilst all others have their users ..
Have a chat with Suehiro sure they will answer your queries without hesitation ( I think :) )..
Like others have said , sure you wont have any complaints in starting off with Cerax or whatever else has been advised ..
have to start off somewhere :)..
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Thank you for the info. I didn't ask in the other forum post because I didn't think it would be answered and also like I stated above I could not get a clear answer from anyone or forum so I figure I would ask this forum about these stones in a separate posting about these stone lines from this brand. After trying to do research on forums and on Goggle before creating a post about my question
Sorry if it seemed like it was a continued posting from the other forum post. Or that I did not look before doing so.
Papou

Post by Papou »

You are lucky you live in a Country where you can access Stones at a reasonable price :) , not like here where they take the weight out of your piggybank :).. Buy some and start enjoying the journey , otherwise you shall miss the Boat..
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Thank you for that sink or swim, I make sure I flip the boat over so I can catch the next one that swims by once I find my paddle downstream.
Till then I'm waiting on answers in emails.
Papou

Post by Papou »

Row Row Row your Boat Merrylly Down the stream lol . Good one Buddy n shoulda seen it comming :).. Wish you all the best in your quest ...
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Thank you i will update whether I get the Cerax, Shapton pros from CKTG or house brand of stones from sharpening supplies. But will be definitely be getting a 140 diamond plate from CKTG for lapping the stones.
Since I have ruled out naniwa for now.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Welcome to the rabbit hole! You will soon become an obsessed sharpener - I take my knives to work at times and put them in a SEM - get a deep understanding of how my techniques work. Still getting better after 50 years of sharpening. Not on Ken or Peter's level, but trying.

I gave up on the brand thing years ago - just give me a big soft 1K and I'm happy - add a 3 and 8K and I'm ear to ear, add a nice 2K and a soft 6K and I'm home
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I've been looking at the combo stones along with a flattening plate. Just trying to decide between the Cerax 1k/3k and the Imanishi 1k/6k stone right now. Easier to get a set of stone instead of a new knife and stones right now, before I leave town for a week on a family reunion in June.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:18 pm I've been looking at the combo stones along with a flattening plate. Just trying to decide between the Cerax 1k/3k and the Imanishi 1k/6k stone right now. Easier to get a set of stone instead of a new knife and stones right now, before I leave town for a week on a family reunion in June.
---
Cerax are better stones: the 1k one of the best while the Imanishi is okay.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Okay thank you for that. That was very helpful in helping me make up my mind.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I know this is a dumb question and I'm sorry for asking but can you use either stone without a stone holder.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:29 pm I know this is a dumb question and I'm sorry for asking but can you use either stone without a stone holder.
Absolutely! Set it on a wet rag or paper towel on the counter, on a piece of drawer liner or anything else you can find that will hold keep it from moving around. Set it on a cookie sheet for less mess. Put it on a 2 x 4 over your sink. If it will sit still for you have at it!
And...you won't need anything over the 3k of the Suehiro for awhile with the steels you have now so don't fret it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Thanks I didn't think it was a big deal but still wanted to ask. Why in your guys opinions are the Cerax better over the Imanishi stone. I'm asking to try to get a mental picture. Sorry if it sounds redundant
gladius

Post by gladius »

Cerax cuts faster and produces a better finish with good feedback but feels more synthetic. I have a set of full size stones and get a fantastic edge finishing on the 6k. You might consider a 1k/6k combo for greater range for just five more bucks.

The Imanishi Combo 6k is nice but the 1k needs a good soak and generation of slurry to do well. It is still a good stone, just speaking comparatively. It feels a bit more like natural stones.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

Okay thank you that's good to know about the stones. I keep that in mind when making my decision
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I agree with gladius about the stones. I like soft stones, so the imanishi would probably be more to my liking, but I have given many Cerax combo stones to the next gen and done sharpening lessons on them. The Cerax stones are very good stones to learn to sharpen on, and they give great edges for most people - and a knife of AUS8 steel can be brought up to 6 or 8K (my line knife is at 6K right now - and it holds an edge for long sessions), but if you are not used to sharpening high end knives, a 3K edge is probably better than anything you have used. A 3K edge, done properly, is quite easy to split hairs with and will shave my face in a pinch with little discomfort.
If you learn to master a 1K edge, you are in the 0.1% of all knife owners - a 3K is where very few have ever played. My line knife is pretty sharp (ready for tomorrow) and I'm bringing a Carter and my Ultimatum (both stropped tonight) for doing my veg prep and some salmon (55 servings) and brisket (145). You will have excellent edges no matter which stone you pick once you get the hang of it.