Edge grain cutting technique

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ma_sha1

Edge grain cutting technique

Post by Ma_sha1 »

After much reading, i decided to assign my end grain board for veggies & use a thinner Edge grain board on top for meat.

I plan to modify the board a little so that i’ll Cut along the wood fiber, instead of cut against them. I think this way, it may get some of the edge grain benefits, I.e, knife edge goes between wood fibers, in this case it’s part time, but should be better than cutting against the wood fiber all the time like most edge grain board are made.

Does this make sense to anyone?
inzite

Re: Edge grain cutting technique

Post by inzite »

i would just get one of those thin hasegawa mats for meat.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Or Asahi. They are light, inexpensive, and easy to clean.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

I have an edge grain board and if I’m not careful to cut across the grain with my more acutely sharpened knives (e.g Takeda and Makoto grinds), push cuts and chopping cuts can easily stick in the board. I’ve had some small chips this way.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Carlo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:30 am I have an edge grain board and if I’m not careful to cut across the grain with my more acutely sharpened knives (e.g Takeda and Makoto grinds), push cuts and chopping cuts can easily stick in the board. I’ve had some small chips this way.
That's what I'd expect.
I keep a simple Epicurean for these tasks. It's not bad on the blades (though the above suggestions would be softer on your blades, for sure), and it is easy to clean.
The vertical lines might end up "catching" more of the edge, and cause you to apply unintended lateral stress, thus causing chips :\
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Carlo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:30 am I have an edge grain board and if I’m not careful to cut across the grain with my more acutely sharpened knives (e.g Takeda and Makoto grinds), push cuts and chopping cuts can easily stick in the board. I’ve had some small chips this way.
Wait, you mean cutting against the grain gave you some chips?

So my logic on cutting along the grain makes sense?

@ earlier responses on rubber type of boards, thanks!
That’s my back-up plan if the my edge grain mod fails. But for now, I already have a walnut edge-grain board & titebond iii coming in the mail, plus a plan in hand to fire-up my table saw.

What do I do with this edge-grain board is the only question
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Altadan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 am
That's what I'd expect.
I keep a simple Epicurean for these tasks. It's not bad on the blades (though the above suggestions would be softer on your blades, for sure), and it is easy to clean.
The vertical lines might end up "catching" more of the edge, and cause you to apply unintended lateral stress, thus causing chips :\
My logic is, cutting along the wood grain, it may catch & release a big chunk of the blade, with a contact patch similar to that of end-grain, thus, it will not chip.

Anyone with edge grain willing to turn the board side ways to give it a try & let’s us know how it feels?
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

To be clear, cutting WITH the grain is how I’ve gotten some chips. The blade sinks right in and a little lateral pressure causes the chips. Happened 2-3 times.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Carlo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:58 am To be clear, cutting WITH the grain is how I’ve gotten some chips. The blade sinks right in and a little lateral pressure causes the chips. Happened 2-3 times.
Thanks for the clarification, i’ll have to re-think about my plan then.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Imagine the grain of the wood are drinking straws. The straw runs the length of the wood. If you cut with the grain then you cut with the blade running somewhat parallel to the straws. If you cut across the grain you are cutting the straws into pieces. Most of the edge grain boards I have seen are built with the grain going the wrong direction.
For end grain boards, the grain runs from the bottom to the top of the board. You are cutting into the hollow part of the straws.
Turning an edge grain board into an end grain board requires some effort. I recommend building a sled for your table saw. Basically, you cut the edge grain board into pieces. Cut across the grain. I would make the cuts equal to the thickness of the board (unless you are after a certain pattern). Then flip the pieces 90 degrees and glue them together. It takes quite a few pipe clamps and a really flat surface for the glue up. Then you have to sand the board flat. Too much effort? The smart move is to buy an end grain board to begin with.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Too much overthinking on this thread... I don't make any adjustments for cutting on my end grain, edge grain, or plastic cutting boards. When my knives get dull, then I sharpen them.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

Wjhunt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 pm Imagine the grain of the wood are drinking straws. The straw runs the length of the wood. If you cut with the grain then you cut with the blade running somewhat parallel to the straws. If you cut across the grain you are cutting the straws into pieces. Most of the edge grain boards I have seen are built with the grain going the wrong direction.
For end grain boards, the grain runs from the bottom to the top of the board. You are cutting into the hollow part of the straws.
Turning an edge grain board into an end grain board requires some effort. I recommend building a sled for your table saw. Basically, you cut the edge grain board into pieces. Cut across the grain. I would make the cuts equal to the thickness of the board (unless you are after a certain pattern). Then flip the pieces 90 degrees and glue them together. It takes quite a few pipe clamps and a really flat surface for the glue up. Then you have to sand the board flat. Too much effort? The smart move is to buy an end grain board to begin with.
Making edge grain into end grain is beyond my skill level, I was really just thinking about turn the board around to cut in between the straws...
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Is the HASEGAWA cutting board available in the USA? Anybody know where the best place to order from?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jacko9 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:08 pm Is the HASEGAWA cutting board available in the USA? Anybody know where the best place to order from?
Yes it is. MTC Kitchen have them from time to time.
I'm waiting for the small size to get back in stock.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

mauichef wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:25 pm
jacko9 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:08 pm Is the HASEGAWA cutting board available in the USA? Anybody know where the best place to order from?
Yes it is. MTC Kitchen have them from time to time.
I'm waiting for the small size to get back in stock.
Ray,

I just found the MTC Kitchen site and they now have the 9 x 13 and the 10 x 15 sizes in stock. I'm thinking about buying both one for me and the smaller one for my wife. Did you get a chance to use your Kato knife yet?