Shohonyama Awase Toishi Pass Around

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
J david

Re: Shohonyama Awase Toishi Pass Around

Post by J david » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm

I think it's me, Dan. PM sent.

J david

Post by J david » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:15 am

I have the stone. I barely started to polish a knife when my wife politely reminded me that I had more important things to attend to. It showed some promise in the short time I worked with it. I will finish testing in the next couple of days and report back.

J david

Post by J david » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm finished testing the stone. Who is next? Please PM your address and I'll get the stone on the way. Review is coming soon. I did some polishing with the stone and have some pics to share.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 am

If that's the last for the pass around you can mail it back to me. I'm glad you guys had a chance to try it.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com

daviddg

Post by daviddg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:56 pm

While these stones are being shipped back to Mark, I would appreciate some feedback on them.
Nagura - It is obvious from Joe Wheels photos that it works well with this stone. Question for those which are familiar with them, would a different one perhaps be a better choice? I don"t like asking people to take time to answer questions if I am not going to purchase, or to benefit my knowledge about something. Therefore I am stating that this may or not be purchased at this time. I can always make do with a flattening plate or another stone if I don't get a reply, or choose not to purchase.
Shohonyama - This is the important one to me. I understand about naturals and the difficulty of comparison of grits. I would really appreciate if everyone which is capable of giving one to do so, even if it conflicts with someone else's estimate. Please state your general feeling of the starting grit and finishing grit with the nagura.
If it makes a difference I own Shapton Glass. I am also aware that other stones with same grit rating are not equal. Adding shapton to your description would be more refined answer. Mark attempted to give me his best guess, probably a good one, but it is what it is...a guess. That is the nature of the beast.

and so this remains seen-
ChefKnivesToGo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 am
If that's the last for the pass around you can mail it back to me. I'm glad you guys had a chance to try it.
Thanks
david