Those hard questions

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
J david

Those hard questions

Post by J david » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:24 pm

There comes a time in every person's life when they have to ask themselves " do I need 20 gyutos or do I need 18 gyutos and a new mountain bike?"

Any and all wisdom on the matter appreciated.

Rufus Leaking

Re: Those hard questions

Post by Rufus Leaking » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:49 pm

If you have 18 gyutos and a mountain bike, you can stab someone in the woods while you’re going 40 mph. If you have 20 gyutos and no mountain bike, you can still stab somebody in the woods, but even if you’re running full speed, you can’t be going much faster than 15mph unless you’re Usain Bolt. The choice is clear. Get 20 gyutos and hope that you only run into slow fat people in the woods. A mountain bike in the kitchen does little good. By the time you’re up to 10 mph, you’re already in the living room. Hope that helps.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 pm

how Many mountain bikes? Full suspension? Don’t forget the accessories...

I am a fan of diversified hobbies and activity.

I suspect 20 gyutos would be the cheaper option.

Edit. I reread the op. It doesn’t say a first mtb...
Last edited by Bensbites on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Bensbites wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 pm
...It doesn’t say a new mtb...
J david wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:24 pm
...do I need 20 gyutos or do I need 18 gyutos and a new mountain bike?"

Any and all wisdom on the matter appreciated.
I say go for the 18 Gyutos and a new MTB! I have 25 Gyutos and a hybrid Mountain/Road Bike. My bike cost 1-4 gyutos depending on the Gyuto price range. We all need a way to get some exercise after all the standing around using all those knives! :mrgreen:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

jbart65

Post by jbart65 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Depends on the two knives ... and how cheaply I can obtain them for. :lol:
Jeffry B

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Definitely get the mountain bike. Im pretty sure with 18 gyutos you have one for every occasion. If not, you got the wrong 18 gyutos.

Carter

Post by Carter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 pm

I find that as I get older, I need less, and I used to be a pretty good trophy hunter in many hobby areas. If you want to sell some blades and go after a new bike, that is cool...you can only cut with one blade at a time...and they all do pretty much the same thing. Do I have more gyutos than I will ever use/need, yes....do I live in N. Carolina and still have 20, 30, 50 , weight trolling rods/reels and saltwater fly tackle from 8-13wt from when I lived in Miami, yes, will I ever use it again, probably not...point is, I think most of us that have gone down the knife rabbit hole like well made cool stuff, what ever it is, and many of us have more than we need...if you want to shift gears, go for it...you can always buy another 19th & 20th...21st...22nd gyuto + plus more mtn bike stuff.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 pm

I only have one MTB, and use it only when the toads get very rutted and icy around here - it has studded tires and is set up to ride for late winter in the tundra. But I have a nice selection of track and road bikes that I get out on most days. We ride in the winter in Minnesota, so I keep a single speed, a track bike, and an internal hub bike outfitted with studded tires and pull them out when needed.
Get as many bikes and knives as you want (until your SO starts questioning your sanity like mine does) - I'm now on a bendable promise to only acquire one chef knife a year, and to sell at least two of my 30+ bikes a year. She wants to get a modest house to retire to in the next few years and that's where I'm heading - I do place a stake in the ground around a large garage however. But until your stuff starts hindering your life, you can have more

Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 am

We're here for you buddy.

I know it's hard trying to get by with only 18 gyutos and we know how frustrtrating it gets. . But don't give up. You can do it!

Stay true and Keep trying. With hard work I'm certain you can get up to 50 or 60.

Aim high! :mrgreen:

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 am

I am reading these opinions and realized there is a choice C.

What else can you sell to get the 22nd gyuto and 2 mtbs?

Overtime? Blood, Kidneys? Other hobbies? Maybe not the house or kids. Lol.

Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:25 am

In cycling it's always n+1.
With knives let's assume k+1.

(n+1) + (k+1) = happiness / x where x = $$$ or lack of it.

I'm with Bensbites time to sell the kidneys. It'll be beneficial on two fronts 1) raise funds for the mtb without going k - 1 = saddness and 2) you'll appreciate being lighter going uphill.

salemj

Post by salemj » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 am

I've been thinking lately of selling several knives. They all have a use, and they are all great knives. But the opportunity to buy knives will always be there, and always be exciting. But I've noticed I feel worse about my collection and the idea of exploring more knives as I have more than I can store in the kitchen lying around.

Having 18 instead of 20 adds to the excitement of maybe more, maybe later. Plus, you get a bike!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

J david

Post by J david » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks for the advice folks. It's a difficult decision because I really like all the knives I have at the moment.

jacko9

Post by jacko9 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Go for the bike and while riding think about new hobbies to add ;-)

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Hobbies, always a fun subject. My own opinion is sell two knives and get the MTB bike but it seems that same opinion may change again and again, I’m wishy washy that way. The nice things about knives is they retain their value better than most hobbies, especially if your pulling them out if the BSTs. I have two MTBs, the latest one is two years old and I doubt I could get even half of what I paid for it. MTBs are like electronics, always evolving, not as fast but they get dated fast. Knives not so much, if you’ve been in the hobby very long you probably have some knives that are worth more today than you paid just a couple years ago. Try that with golf clubs.

If money as nothing to do with the decision just follow your heart, there is something very liberating about exploring new hobbies. You never know, you might own 8 mtb bikes and two Gyutos in a year or two.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

J david

Post by J david » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 am

You all have convinced me. Look for a couple nice pieces to go up soon.

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:00 am

Damascus clad mountain bike, duhhhh :V

Preferably alternating layers of titanium and aluminum

Chefspence

Post by Chefspence » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Rufus Leaking wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:49 pm
If you have 18 gyutos and a mountain bike, you can stab someone in the woods while you’re going 40 mph. If you have 20 gyutos and no mountain bike, you can still stab somebody in the woods, but even if you’re running full speed, you can’t be going much faster than 15mph unless you’re Usain Bolt. The choice is clear. Get 20 gyutos and hope that you only run into slow fat people in the woods. A mountain bike in the kitchen does little good. By the time you’re up to 10 mph, you’re already in the living room. Hope that helps.
:lol: fuck that made me laugh!!!

I have a good Mountain bike and enough knives to get me by. I'd say keep buying gyutos!

J david

Post by J david » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:30 pm

A preview of what I will be listing on BST.

LostHighway

Post by LostHighway » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I tend to know far more bike obsessive people than I do kitchen knife obsessives. I know several people in the 10+ bicycles range and maybe one or two that might be closer to 20. I'm at a much more modest four, plus one for my wife. If you decide you need a criterium bike, a touring bike, maybe a road fixed gear/spring training bike, an all rigid or hard tail mountain bike, a full suspension bike, maybe a track bike, maybe a cyclocross bike, a winter bike, perhaps a distance road racing bike, and maybe a beater city bike, the total number adds up quickly. If you start adding collector bikes that is another rabbit hole. All those are rather more specialized tools that a variety of gyutos. For myself I feel I can justify perhaps six gyutos ranging from 175 - 240mm, all users, no BNIB collector knives plus, some possibly a couple tall pettys in the 135 - 165mm range that could be construed as mini gyutos. I don't have a problem with the 20+ gyutos people or the 20+ bicycles people if they really appreciate and use what they own. We all to to make our own choices. I do, however, have some philosophical problems with investment collectors where potential future economic value is the driving consideration.