Technique advice?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Paul282

Re: Technique advice?

Post by Paul282 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm

I've really learned a lot from this discussion so thank you all for your great questions and contributions. I've never "really" understood the need to lift your elbow to sharpen the tip until watching Ken's video. It explains not just my tip struggles but also my struggle with sharpening german knives consistently as I reach the more pronounced curvature. Like Radar commented, it finally just clicked.

ken123

Re: Technique advice?

Post by ken123 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:32 pm

Paul282 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm
I've really learned a lot from this discussion so thank you all for your great questions and contributions. I've never "really" understood the need to lift your elbow to sharpen the tip until watching Ken's video. It explains not just my tip struggles but also my struggle with sharpening German knives consistently as I reach the more pronounced curvature. Like Radar commented, it finally just clicked.
This is great news! Sometimes I think I'm just yelling down into a well that no one hears, so it's encouraging when it 'click's. I call it an 'aha' moment :) I'm always looking for A-ha moments too.

---
Ken