Leather Sheath for Rods (as a strop)

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
thehomecookmi

Leather Sheath for Rods (as a strop)

Post by thehomecookmi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Recently ordered an Idahone Fine Ceramic Rod and a Leather Sheath.
The Idahone works great on my Victorinox fillet knife.

Today as an experiment, I grabbed one of my Japanese knives (a knife I would never "steel") and used the Idahone with the leather sheath on, as a strop. Just a couple of edge trailing strokes on either side. Worked surprisingly well. Thinking about trying a diamond spray on one side of the sheath. Seemed like a practical solution for someones knife bag.
Just thought I'd share.

stevem627

Re: Leather Sheath for Rods (as a strop)

Post by stevem627 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm

That really makes good sense to me. Very efficient as long as the diamond spray doesn't mess up the bag.

ken123

Post by ken123 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Consider either the 4 micron (4k)or 2 micron (8k) CBN emulsion for this application.

The emulsion will 'stick' better to the strop than a spray.

---
Ken

thehomecookmi

Post by thehomecookmi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Used it again this afternoon. It won't replace my CKTG strop kit. But It's definitely a feasible "On the go" Solution.

Ken: I have some CKTG Diamond paste. But, I think the paste will be a little too messy in the knife bag. How are the emulsions different than the sprays or paste?
Attachments
IMG_8116.jpeg

ken123

Post by ken123 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Wrap the sheath in a ziploc to prevent / restrict cross contamination. I suggested the specific grits because they would optimally follow a ceramic rod. The emulsions 'stick' to leather ideally - more than pastes or sprays. Pastes have a habit of attracting stray airborne particles from the air that stick to your strop. It's why I seldom recommend pastes even though I carry some - mostly as a legacy product.

---
Ken