Difference between Konosuke GS+ vs HD2

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Banzai_Burrito

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by Banzai_Burrito » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 pm

hz_zzzzzz wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:34 pm
I just ordered that Konosuke GS+ Togatta Gyuto 240mm as soon as I found it became available. Super happy! I was about to order the yo hd2 that is on sale now, but this Togatta is even a better deal IMO. Thanks!
Is there a significant difference between the GS+ vs HD2? I know the HD2 gyuto videos say that HD2 is the legendary steel

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am

I defer to others, but I don't think so. The HD2 is mono-steel, rather than clad. Some people much prefer it for that reason -- they find clad knives have a dead feel on the board. For me, it's hit-and-miss -- some clad knives do but others don't. I think that GS+ is a screaming deal.

Drewski

Post by Drewski » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am

Banzai_Burrito wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 pm
hz_zzzzzz wrote:
I just ordered that Konosuke GS+ Togatta Gyuto 240mm as soon as I found it became available. Super happy! I was about to order the yo hd2 that is on sale now, but this Togatta is even a better deal IMO. Thanks!
Is there a significant difference between the GS+ vs HD2? I know the HD2 gyuto videos say that HD2 is the legendary steel
I don't have a GS+ but my understanding is that the traditional GS+ line has a much more curved profile and less of a flat spot than the HD2 line, but someone can correct me if this is wrong. As far as the GS+ Togatta vs the HD2 profile wise, the Togatta has a more gradual upsweet to the tip, just like a Masamoto KS, which is what it is modeled after.

Banzai_Burrito

Post by Banzai_Burrito » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Drewski wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am
Banzai_Burrito wrote:
hz_zzzzzz wrote:
I don't have a GS+ but my understanding is that the traditional GS+ line has a much more curved profile and less of a flat spot than the HD2 line, but someone can correct me if this is wrong. As far as the GS+ Togatta vs the HD2 profile wise, the Togatta has a more gradual upsweet to the tip, just like a Masamoto KS, which is what it is modeled after.
Interesting, so it'll be more more for rock chopping but with extremely good technique. I wonder what the main metallurgical differences are

salemj

Post by salemj » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Drewski wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am
Banzai_Burrito wrote:
hz_zzzzzz wrote:
I don't own a GS+, but I don't think this is an accurate statement, especially in terms of the Togatta. The "new" pattern, to my understanding, is actually closer to the "flatter" Funayuki-gyuto design by Konosuke, or at least it was in the drawing stage (I believe Steve's video is the "old" pattern). And yes, this "funayuki-gyuto" design IS more like a KS (which I own) in that it has a "flatter" radius through the belly, but enough length and a high enough tip that it can still rock. I think the more productive way to compare them is to think in terms of a clad blade versus a mono-steel blade.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

mauichef

Difference between Konosuke GS+ vs HD2

Post by mauichef » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 pm

I have moved this to its own thread. The Konosuke update thread is for Kosuke to update us on new announcements and related comments.

Cutuu

Re: Difference between Konosuke GS+ vs HD2

Post by Cutuu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm

I never owned the hd, but I've owned the white and swedish lasers that were supposed to be near the same knife but different steel. I've also owned the GS+. One thing I'll mention confidently is that I believe the had would be sturdier or stiffer. This is based on my experience with the mentioned knifes. Also it's typical of monosteel knifes to be stiffer and sturdier than clad knives knives. The GS+ is a great knife, but I would prefer the hd.

raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Cutuu wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm
I never owned the hd, but I've owned the white and swedish lasers that were supposed to be near the same knife but different steel. I've also owned the GS+. One thing I'll mention confidently is that I believe the had would be sturdier or stiffer. This is based on my experience with the mentioned knifes. Also it's typical of monosteel knifes to be stiffer and sturdier than clad knives knives. The GS+ is a great knife, but I would prefer the hd.
I didn't love the gs and i love my hd. I feel it has better edge retention and like the feel on the board more.

Banzai_Burrito

Post by Banzai_Burrito » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 pm

mauichef wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 pm
I have moved this to its own thread. The Konosuke update thread is for Kosuke to update us on new announcements and related comments.
Sorry about that, didn't mean to detail the thread

mauichef

Post by mauichef » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 am

Banzai_Burrito wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 pm
mauichef wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 pm
Sorry about that, didn't mean to detail the thread
All good bro'!

hz_zzzzzz

Post by hz_zzzzzz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Banzai_Burrito wrote:
hz_zzzzzz wrote:
I don't know enough to tell the difference between 2 steels, nor does it matter to me as both steels are liked by many. I prefer togatta mainly because of its profile.