Need a Stainless Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
wxchef10

Need a Stainless Recommendation

Post by wxchef10 »

I've been thinking I 'need' an all stainless 210mm just in case I am lazy and don't have time to tend to my Blue #2 at the same length (Matsubara Blue #2 Nashiji Gyuto). I was thinking about Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus Gyuto, Shibata Kotetsu R2, Kurosaki shizuku r2, or Kurosaki Fujin VG10. I have a Koishi at 240mm and a Yuki Nakiri at 165mm.

Thank you as always for your advice and any other suggestions that I haven't thought of would be welcomed.

cliff

Re: Need a Stainless Recommendation

Post by cliff »

Do you gravitate towards medium-weight all-arounders or are you looking for some diversity. You could get the laser thin Shibata for something different. If you want your stainless to be able to handle a wider range of products, I would go for one of the others

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Diversity. My main group of products are vegetables (onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc). I would never use my J knives on hard squashes and the like. I also do some prep with boneless proteins. Damascus and Fujin are attractive knives and I do like the beauty as well as function. I have no lasers in my collection.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I was in the exact same position as you, also with a 210 Matsubara, and I got a Shizuku. Very happy with it, use it regularly.

thetoe

Post by thetoe »

I can vouch for the Fujin VG10, very nice. Only complaint is the engraving. The rest of the knife if so nice that it exposes the engraving job.

MagneticStorm

Post by MagneticStorm »

My wife just bought me the Shibata Kotetsu.

It was up against this knife... Kobayashi SG2

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosg2gy21.html

Narrowed down from:
Shibata Kotetsu R2
Kobayashi SG2
Kurosaki Fugin VG10
Kurosaki Megumi VG10
Kato Nashiji Suminagashi VG10

All Gyuto 210. My kitchen uses are the same, vegetables and soft boneless protein. She just ordered the knife yesterday so I don't have it yet, but I will post feedback after some use.

delmar

Post by delmar »

If R2/SG2, I'd lean towards shibata if you want a thin grind, Kamo or Kurosaki for something a bit more mid weight. I think the Kamo is a unique knife that gets a lot of questions from guests at my house, but Kurosaki ain't no slouch either. Can't go wrong with either.

Also consider Ginsan, especially a Tanaka with semi custom handle for under $200. A wonderfully ground stainless that sharpens more like carbon, has best feedback of any stainless I have tried, and has good edge retention.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

An excellent list. All great performers, I think you'd be happy with any one of them. If looking for beauty along with function the Kamo and Fujin are the two I'd narrow it down to.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Leaning towards the Shiro Kamo, Shibata or Fujin. Shizuku is OOS and I didn't see a Tanaka Ginsan on this site. I 'googled' it and saw that it used to be here and it looks really nice. Could also do HAP?

Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/satagiwa24.html
Looks like a great knife. It’s definitely on my wish list.

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

That is a lovely knife, but $430 is a bit too steep a price for me. That has to go on my wish list too.

delmar

Post by delmar »

wxchef10 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 pm
I didn't see a Tanaka Ginsan on this site. I 'googled' it and saw that it used to be here and it looks really nice.
Check out knives and stones website.

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Thank you. I've found it at that site. Which has better edge retention and ease of sharpening...HAP40, Ginsan, or SG2/R2?
Thanks everyone.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Better edge retention - Hap40 -> SG2/R2 -> Ginan. Differences are very noticable.

Ease of sharpening, just the opposite - Ginsan -> SG2/R2 -> Hap40. The differences between the steels are really just a few more minutes on the stones.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

That is very helpful. Then I should lean to HAP40 or SG2/R2. There are only two knives in HAP40 here...Gihei or Kohetsu. Is one better than the other? Or are one of the SG2/R2 options the way to go?

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

What about Yoshimi SG2 Gyuto 210mm? It is currently OOS.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

In a home setting SG2/R2 have more than enough edge retention. The Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus, Shibata Kotetsu R2 or Kurosaki Shizuku R2 would all make a great choice.

delmar

Post by delmar »

Jeff B wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:43 pm
In a home setting SG2/R2 have more than enough edge retention. The Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus, Shibata Kotetsu R2 or Kurosaki Shizuku R2 would all make a great choice.
Couldnt agree more. HAP40 is astounding on edge retention, but this best fits pro setting. R2/SG2 are nearly as good, more readily available and have a better variance in aesthetics of knives available. I personally find R2/SG2 easier to sharpen than HAP40 by a decent (but not huge) margin.

All 3 of those knives are solid recommendations. The Kamo has a bit more belly, so rocking friendly. Shibata is THIN and a crazy nimble tip. Kurosaki knives I have all have great grinds, thin behind edge and universal profiles.

wxchef10

Post by wxchef10 »

Thank you all. I have narrowed it down to Shibata or Kurosaki. I could do the Kurosaki since I am also interested in Shibata's AS santoku. Then I could get best of both worlds. The Kamo at 210 is gone for now.

Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Just to throw in something from left field. Have a look at this G3 Harukaze knife

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html

I bought it as a cheap "crash test dummy" knife to explore kasumi finishes, but it's a much better knife than I was expecting. Given that you like looks as well as function it might be worth considering. Probably the best bang for your buck knife on the site??
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!