How to trade knives?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ma_sha1

How to trade knives?

Post by Ma_sha1 »

How do you guys trade knives?

Selling has protection but how do you trade with protection? What if one party didn’t send as promised?

Kalaeb

Re: How to trade knives?

Post by Kalaeb »

That's a tricky one. Curious to see what others have to say. Really no protection. The hope is that in your due diligence you only trade with respected/well known members of forums.

Apart from trying everything diplomatically it would be nice to know who the issue was with so others may avoid the same pitfal, but make sure the complaint is well vetted first

delmar

Post by delmar »

In the past with folks I dont know well, I have treated as dual sale. The small PP fees I pay are a small price to pay for the protection. Think of it as a very reasonable escrow fee.

enjay

Post by enjay »

delmar wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 am
In the past with folks I dont know well, I have treated as dual sale. The small PP fees I pay are a small price to pay for the protection. Think of it as a very reasonable escrow fee.
Hear, hear.

jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Because of the uncertainty I don't buy, sell or trade to anybody I don't know and wind up gifting to family members over time.

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Ma_sha1 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 am

Selling has protection but how do you trade with protection? What if one party didn’t send as promised?
If they didn't send as promised that should kinda of void trade. I don't know what the exact issue was, so it's kind of hard to fully comment. Could you explain the issue further?

enjay

Post by enjay »

Cutuu wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 pm
Ma_sha1 wrote:

If they didn't send as promised that should kinda of void trade. I don't know what the exact issue was, so it's kind of hard to fully comment. Could you explain the issue further?
He's concerned about the scenario in which A sends his knife to B, as agreed, but B does not. In this case A will have been scammed by that dastardly B.

Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

delmar wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 am
Great idea, Much safer with protection for both!

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

enjay wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:29 pm
Cutuu wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 pm
Ma_sha1 wrote:

He's concerned about the scenario in which A sends his knife to B, as agreed, but B does not. In this case A will have been scammed by that dastardly B.
I read it as the knife was sent, but not quite the condition as advertised. If the knife was just blatantly not sent as a scam, that person should be called out and weeded out by the community. We may even be able to help recover the knife or bring charges against the person.

Carlo

Post by Carlo »

I’ve only done a few trades, with folks who seem invested in the community, and, TBH, while I haven’t been concerned re the trades, I would only trade items I was prepared to eat the value of. I’m too lazy to suggest a double sale.

So for, trades have been better than purchases ... while most transactions have been stellar I’ve had at least 3 forum knives show up with substantial undisclosed defects or damage.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ve done hundreds of sales, trades and buys on the internet with zero defaults. Most of that is pure luck, odds are you will get burned at some point though. I don’t do business with people that have zero history. If someone has an item I’m interested in and no history here on the forum odds are they have a history somewhere else and I’ll ask for that, but if no history can be produced it makes me uncomfortable, so I won’t move forward. Paypal offers some insurance, I’ve avoided paypal on two occasions because the buyer wanted me to ship to an address other than what is listed on their paypal and my understanding is that voids the PayPal guarantee. Basically I believe you just have to use common sense, if something feels off don’t do it. If it’s too good to be true, odds are it is and you shouldn’t do it. Don’t let the lust for an item overrule common sense.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”