For the love of God...HELP!!!!

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
dAviD

For the love of God...HELP!!!!

Post by dAviD »

I recently sharpened a couple knives from the cooks I work with. And my brother's knives.

All those people off handily mentioned that I should post on the local neighborhood app about knife sharpening since I'm bored and just napping my days away.

I'm am completely flooded with requests!
I spent three hours talking to people and messaging.

Not only for sharpening but also for finding good deals on knives to teaching someone how to use the stones they already bought.

Ummm.
So! All y'all pros who jumped this gap please for the love of God 🙏. Help a brotha out..... hahahaha.

Definitely need to get my hands on some better low grit stones just because I never have to deal with that s*** because I buy stuff that normally comes pretty goddamn sharp.....

But of course I am sure this will unravel.
Maybe I make a living while waiting for my real job to kick back in.

Feel free to blow me up.
I have 7 appointments tommorow and another 10+ in queue....

ken123

Re: For the love of God...HELP!!!!

Post by ken123 »

Sounds like you are following a familiar pattern of needing coarse grits dealing with the knives from hell. Give me a call to set you up with some coarse grit stones. I have a couple of new stones in stock.

---
Ken

taz575

Post by taz575 »

Are they good knives (japanese?) or junky knives? 1x30 or a ken onion Worksharp works great for junky knives, nice and quick, plenty of grits available, just use very light pressure and don't burn the steel. Or use it for the grunt work, and then go up on stones from there.

salemj

Post by salemj »

Heck, after reading Taz i just occurred to me that if I found myself in your position, I could consider substituting a Chef's Choice for low grits. Depending on how cheap and gummy the stainless, the Chef's choice can remove plenty of steel and give you a good bevel to start, and then you can easily refine that using stones.

I would avoid this normally, but if you're talking people who don't normally sharpen their knives and would do the same thing themselves (or would take it to someone who would use a more aggressive grinding wheel, etc), I don't see the harm.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I’ve seen several of the traveling sharpeners. Their setup is usually two 1x30 belt grinders (so they don’t have to change belts) or the paper wheel setup. I would not give them a Japanese knife. Be careful if you go that route because you can round the tip in a second with the 1x30 set up. I’ve never tried the paper wheels.
I would not advise the work sharp for several reasons but the price of belts is crazy for how long they last. A friend of mine has a 1x42 Kalamazoo that blows the cheap 1x30 away. It’s a very nice machine but they are not cheap.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I have a 1x42 Kalamazoo that Wjhunt mentioned. Not terribly expensive, American made and one of my most used tools, not just for knives but for general purpose. The reviews on that machine are very positive. Simple, reliable, effective and American made.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

dAviD

Post by dAviD »

Welp. I'm pausing this idea after a day yesterday.
Mostly because it's impossible to interact with people and keep everyone safe. I was able to help a few people but with the city on lock down it's just not worth the possibility of whatever. Also my roommates were slightly concerned about the possibility of CoVID and irregardless of how much I'm careful.....it's better to keep my "family" feeling safe and comfortable more than anything....lol. but! I'll revisit this once everything calms down.... hopefully 😖.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have a decent number of knives that folk in the neighborhood have asked me to sharpen in the last couple weeks. I'm still working (mostly from home, but need to cut up some samples for magnetic characterization tomorrow when plant is empty. The idea that folk are getting knives sharpened is great.