More sharpening or change of stone?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
turko

Re: More sharpening or change of stone?

Post by turko »

Peter Nowlan wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:33 am

Over the past decade I’ve run into a host of uncertainties in my quest to be a good knife sharpener
1. Should you form a burr on every stone?
2. You should finish Euro knives at 1k as it’s a waste to go finer
3. Toothy or polished edge and does a toothy 1k edge have better edge retention?
4. How often do I need to flatten ?
5. A bare or loaded strop?
6. Synthetic or Natural stones or just the topic of natural stones alone.
7. Angles for different knives.
8. Thinning,
9. Single bevel knives

10. COARSE stones, should I use them?

There are other topics of course and I’ve come to my own conclusions on each of these grey areas, grey to me that is.

So as for a coarse stone, 400 or even 220. The best mindset that I ever adopted in my quest was to become one with the 400 grit stone and learn, over time to squeeze out every ounce of goodness. Do not hesitate to get a 400 grit stone. Even when I was the village idiot of sharpening I never ruined a knife or even scratched a knife on a stone. We’re smart, we won’t be trying to drive the knife into the stone, we learn to use pressure accordingly to remove metal in a very controlled manner. Your priority should be a coarse stone, you don’t need a nagura at this stage. You need to gain confidence, the coarse 400 Naniwa Pro will make you appreciate your 1k stone even more. You’ll set the stage for success every single time you sharpen a knife by using a coarse stone before anything else. Remember it’s not how we finish the process it’s how we begin.
Learn from the multitude of mistakes I make, choose your stones wisely. 😊
I know some you've answered in your lesson... But did you by chance answer these in another post? :lol:

Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

No I don’t think I’ve ever provided my solutions to be honest.

Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Don't forget the most important factor....the sharpener. A good sharpener will be able to get a knife sharp using a Home Depot masonry brick. Get 1 maybe 2 good brand name stone then practice practice and practice some more. Once you become adequate the 2 stones magically grows to 20+

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've always loved the way you are able to articulate thoughts Peter!

There has always been this philosophy out there "Master the 1k". I believe more in "Master the low grit".
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

You’re a nice man Jeff thank you. Mastering the low grit starts with gaining the courage to use it. Do disregard those who tell us we only need to start at 400 or 500 grit if the knife is damaged. The stones does a lot of our work for us.

turko

Post by turko »

Damn.. I'm still working on learning my way around the 1k but now I'm actually interested in feeling out the 400.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

turko wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:05 pm
Damn.. I'm still working on learning my way around the 1k but now I'm actually interested in feeling out the 400.
You'll still be learning years from now like the rest of us... ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

ken123

Post by ken123 »

For quite a long time Ive recommended low grit stones. In fact Nubatama stones start at 24 grit and go up from there. Easily the largest selection available and growing. I now have 24 46 60 80 120 150 180 220(4 of them) 320(3) 400(2), 500, grit etc up to 15k(2). By far the most stones are the 1k stones - 9 different ones. Are coarse grits essential? Absolutely. Are coarse grits starting at 220 or 400 grit? Not at all. Imo this is a limitation of the Chocera lineup. The solution is to enhance the lineup with coarser Nubatamas. I am glad to see this evolving into further appreciation of coarser stones.
But what of 1k stones? They still require mastery. They are the gateway to finer edges. This doesn't mean a single 1k stone at all. That is but an introduction to the1k 'domain'. It also includes Japanese naturals, belt grinder finishes, cbn and diamond strops in the 16 micron range and so on. Mastery directly implies having a hands on knowledge of stone hardnesses, various abrasives in the1k range, drying times, slurry generation, microscopic study of the scratch patterns produced on various steel types, etc. It is not a cursory 'I tried a single 1k stone so now I am a master.' It is a journey, part of a larger journey of sharpening technique.

---
Ken