Yahiko True Grit and Suehiro Debado

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
LucaBrasi

Yahiko True Grit and Suehiro Debado

Post by LucaBrasi »

I tried to search and haven’t found anything on Yahiko stones and have found seemingly just early impressions on the Debados.

I currently mostly use 400 Chosera, 1k Cerax, 6k Cerax. On pm steels I generally throw in my 3k superstone, a Stone I really don’t like outside of straight razor use. I occasionally use a 1.5k shapton pro and arashiyama 6k when I don’t feel like soaking but greatly prefer the former lineup.

My 6k Cerax is starting to wear somewhat thin, and I generally don’t like my 3k SS. Those will be the first two up to be replaced.

What is people’s experience with the 6k Debado? How does it compare with the Cerax? Worth the extra 15 dollars? Harder/softer/slower/faster? True splash and go?

How about the Yahiko 3k? I haven’t used any sigma power unfortunately so that comparison doesn’t help me. Do these perform similarly to the Suehiro? Should I stick with the Debado if I’m going that direction and just spend the extra 35 dollars?

I really like my Chosera 400, and once upon a time thought I would just go with those across the board, but I like the sound of the short soaking Suehiros, especially considering my positive experience with the Cerax.

Thanks for any input.

Ourorboros

Re: Yahiko True Grit and Suehiro Debado

Post by Ourorboros »

I don't have any Cerax, but I do have the Suehiro Debado 6K. It is not a splash and go, you do need to soak it.
The feel of the True Grit and Suehiro should be very different. True Grits are hard and feel much more like Choseras than any Suehiro. From what I understand, they are mostly abrasive with minimal binder. Because of grit density and their constant release, it should cut faster.

LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

Interesting. Those seem like very desirable traits, why are the yahikos such a secret?

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

LucaBrasi wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm
Interesting. Those seem like very desirable traits, why are the yahikos such a secret?
They haven't been around long and they are Mark's house brand(rebranded Sigma Power stones).
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

It mystifies me why customers havent tried them. They're not that expensive.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 pm
It mystifies me why customers havent tried them. They're not that expensive.
I think most buying their first stones go after the "known" brand thinking they are more likely to be happy with them over an unfimiliar house brand. I haven't tried them because I haven't needed to buy a stone in several years but might try them when the time comes. Think there are many out there like me too.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

gladius

Post by gladius »

If they are (like) Sigma sintered ceramic stones, they are very good stones!

LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

I’ll likely pick up the 3k in the future. Will review when I do.