Knife for cutting meat.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Knife for cutting meat.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Greetings-

I need to know what type of knife is best for cutting cooked (and some uncooked) meat. I have a 180 pound English Mastiff that I cook for. About 2-3 lbs. of meat (beef, pork, lamb, chicken) a day. I have bought four knives from you guys and love them all. Tell me what style is best and I will buy another one.

Thanks, Charlie

Hi Charlie,

That sounds like you have a pony not a dog. Feed him hay. :)

Kidding, tell me the following.

Western Handle or Wa Handle?

Price Range?

Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel?

Do you know how to sharpen?

Are you going to be slicing it up like you would a steak or chopping it up like you would bbq pork?

Mark
CKTG
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

Jeff B

Re: Knife for cutting meat.

Post by Jeff B »

A 240mm Sujihiki would probably be good knife for this. With little to go on I'll throw this one out there.

Something quality and low maintenance - Kanehide PS60 Sujihiki 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapssu24.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Something sharp. If that something stays sharp for a long time then it's a bonus. Best if that something stays sharp for a long time and is easy to sharpen. As a tool, many Japanese knives are made of good steel that stays sharp a long time and are relatively easy to sharpen.

At this stage you should know what size knife you prefer, i.e. larger or smaller knives. I prefer smaller, less than 8"/210mm knives as I'm only a home cook and don't tackle the size and volume of a professional kitchen. Not macho but effective.

Then it's a matter of deciding between carbon or stainless steel. I love carbon steel knives as they can take a keen sharp edge, stay sharp and are easy to sharpen. But carbon knives do require a bit of care such as drying it every time and not leaving it in a wet sink for hours. Stainless steel stands up to this type of abuse better. My family tends to not care about drying knives and sometimes will leave it in the sink. Rather than pissing into the wind every time, I got them stainless to use while saving the carbons for my usage only. All knives can benefit from proper care.

Finally, establish a good relationship with a knife shop as this is key for initial purchase, future knowledge, and after purchase support. I highly recommend Chef Knives to Go. They would be my preferred vendor if I live in the States and don't have an international border to worry about.

cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I've not been paying much attention to this rec request because I'm not much of a carnivore but 2-3# of meat daily for a puppy! :shock:

Sorry you are not getting more traction on this one. A big question that comes to mind is do you prefer to hack it to pieces? Something like a western deba or one of the big CCK bone cleavers might do you. If you want a more delicate instrument, look at a sujihiki. Size it to your work area and the cuts of meat you're working with. Big primals, go with a 270mm+. Smaller cuts, 240mm or less.

Good luck.

stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Either of these 2 would be good for all around use without spending much. The Harukaze seems to be an incredible knife for the price.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/havg1su27.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2su27.html

taz575

Post by taz575 »

It depends on how he is processing the meat. Chunking boneless pieces down into smaller pieces, a gyuto would work. If he is buying larger cuts, a sujihiki would be better for breaking it down. If he has to debone, a boning knife would be good. Mark, did he ever answer your questions so we have a little more info to go on?

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

For beef like that grab the bullnose mark has.

Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

not sure what your looking ot spend but i have a line knife and long line knife as well as a boning/steaking knife ready to ship also have an 8 inch bull nose on the bench waiting to be finished