Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
arthurfowler

Re: Baking Much?

Post by arthurfowler »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:17 pm
Alwayzbakin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 am Just a bit
I want to be your neighbor.
Ha ha. I always wanted to be your neighbour Mark, it would be even quicker than DHL!!!
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

mauichef wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm
arthurfowler wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:02 pm There is some lovely baking here, well done everyone. I finally got my sourdough starter going. Still very early on but I have been pleased with the results so far. I bake bread 2 or 3 times a week for us and other family and friends. Then twice a week, I make waffles and pancakes for my two sons from the discard and have zero waste.

I have also started making sourdough pizza dough as well.
That is some tasty looking baking mate! Wow you are on a roll.
I have not thrown any starter either.
Pancakes, Muffins and bagels take care of the overs.
I'm working on some bagels right now and have another levain on the go for a bake tomorrow.
Like you I'm going to start feeding friends and neighbors. i just want to bake!!!!

Got to try pizza and waffles next.
What waffle iron do you use?
Thanks Ray. I only bought a cheap electric waffle cooker off Amazon albeit it does a great job. Would love a good muffin recipe to try if you have one. I want to try bagels as well. I saw some on Perfect loaf and they looked incredible.

As much as I haven’t cooked professionally for a lot of years, I think sourdough is one of the most rewarding things to cook. It’s like cutting the first slice from a terrine and seeing all the layers and patterns of ingredients.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I've been having pretty good luck with cast iron pizza lately. I start it on the stove top to regulate the bottom crust then finish it in the oven. I have been using traditional pizza dough and cooking it in my #12 Field skillet. I sure like the looks of those breads!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

arthurfowler wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:49 pm
Thanks Ray. I only bought a cheap electric waffle cooker off Amazon albeit it does a great job. Would love a good muffin recipe to try if you have one. I want to try bagels as well. I saw some on Perfect loaf and they looked incredible.

As much as I haven’t cooked professionally for a lot of years, I think sourdough is one of the most rewarding things to cook. It’s like cutting the first slice from a terrine and seeing all the layers and patterns of ingredients.
I completely agree. There is something very Zen about it.

I am actually in the first proof of my Perfect Loaf bagels. That's some tough dough! Could not believe how originally the levain was hard as a baseball yet it still gassed up perfectly by the morning. I have used his banana bread recipe from left over starter. Excellent.

The blueberry muffins from leftovers on the King Arthur flower site is great. My neighbors are beating down my door for more! https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ins-recipe

Gotta go mess with another levain that I started using a recipe from Ken Forkish. (Flower,Water,Salt,Yeast)

Enjoy mate!

jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Sweet tooth today so I just pulled a batch of cinnamon, walnut, golden raisins and brown sugar rolls from the oven. I'm still a rookie at this baking but with the Coronavirus shut-in I'll get better.
Attachments
IMG_8595.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

jacko9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:08 pm I've been having pretty good luck with cast iron pizza lately. I start it on the stove top to regulate the bottom crust then finish it in the oven. I have been using traditional pizza dough and cooking it in my #12 Field skillet. I sure like the looks of those breads!
I must give this a go especially as the UK weather isn’t always friendly towards outside pizza baking. I have just bought some cast iron pans so what better way to try them out. Do you put the dough in to a cold pan and then heat or drop the dough in to a hot pan.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

mauichef wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:52 pm
arthurfowler wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:49 pm

I completely agree. There is something very Zen about it.

I am actually in the first proof of my Perfect Loaf bagels. That's some tough dough! Could not believe how originally the levain was hard as a baseball yet it still gassed up perfectly by the morning. I have used his banana bread recipe from left over starter. Excellent.

The blueberry muffins from leftovers on the King Arthur flower site is great. My neighbors are beating down my door for more! https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... ins-recipe

Gotta go mess with another levain that I started using a recipe from Ken Forkish. (Flower,Water,Salt,Yeast)

Enjoy mate!

Thanks Ray, will give both of the recipes a go. Will start with the muffins.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

arthurfowler wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:32 am
jacko9 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:08 pm I've been having pretty good luck with cast iron pizza lately. I start it on the stove top to regulate the bottom crust then finish it in the oven. I have been using traditional pizza dough and cooking it in my #12 Field skillet. I sure like the looks of those breads!
I must give this a go especially as the UK weather isn’t always friendly towards outside pizza baking. I have just bought some cast iron pans so what better way to try them out. Do you put the dough in to a cold pan and then heat or drop the dough in to a hot pan.
I warm up the skillet with olive oil to a medium heat (I experimented with this setting to get the correct amount of browning without turning the bottom too brown). Just before the oil gets to the smoking point or lower I drop in the stretched out dough. I let it cook for a few minutes lifting to see if I have the right color and then add the toppings and place in the oven. I have been cooking my pizza's at 450 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes and I get an even cook of the dough and a nice crisp bottom. The bottom two photos are prior to baking in the oven.
Attachments
IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_7148.JPG
IMG_6121.JPG
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

That look awesome Jacko.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I want pizza tonight. Hahahahah
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Since I got my Field Skillets I haven't ordered a delivered pizza. I have tried Pizza Stones, Cookie sheets, ventilated pans, etc for many years with limited success until I got my first #10 skillet. I then ordered the #12 just for pizza but, I found that size is also great for kielbasa, onions and sauerkraut.

If your not into making your own dough Trader Joes and Safeway both sell a very good Traditional Pizza dough.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I just made a cauliflower crust pizza last night. Still miss real pizza, but the cauliflower one isn't bad. Good excuse for extra cheese in the crust part, too!
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Have a friend that has a very productive granny smith apples tree and these apples last forever it seems in the refrigerator so I made a cobbler.
Attachments
IMG_8126.JPG
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Anyone have a sourdough discard pizza recipe they like?

I've used the KA one with varying results. I've found that as the summer heat and humidity has set in, the dough tears more easily, is stickier, and doesn't handle as well out of the fridge. Maybe I need to back off the water if the environment is more humid. I'm wondering if it's the recipe or of it might be other factors, so if others have a reliable recipe, I'm all ears.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

I haven’t made a dough using discard yet only with a levain. The last one I tried was a mix of a few recipes but basically 00 Flour, 63% hydration, 2.2% salt and 14% levain. It came out nice.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Sourdough bagels. A bit scruffy looking but tasted great with a good crust and chew!

arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

mauichef wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:27 pm Sourdough bagels. A bit scruffy looking but tasted great with a good crust and chew!

They look fantastic Ray!!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Continuing down the cookie rabbit hole (is there such a thing?), I made my first-ever batch of chocolate chip cookies. I have really weak baking skills. I lack the experience to understand how to tweak the ingredients and methodology to get the results I want. These cookies tasted great -- much better than they looked but I was going for an entirely different result. I wanted thin, crispy cookies with dark, almost lacey-like edges. Instead -- and in spite of doing a fair amount of research on this -- I ended up with these very crispy, taller-than-I-wanted, homogeneously beige numbers. For the record, these were all butter, all granulated sugar (no brown) and Callebaut 54.5% cocoa solid chips . . .

Chocolate Chip Cookies
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

First ever batch of chocolate chip cookies?! Amazing.

Actually, maybe that shouldn't shock me. I'm not sure I've ever made them as an adult either.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

gastro gnome wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 pm First ever batch of chocolate chip cookies?! Amazing.

Actually, maybe that shouldn't shock me. I'm not sure I've ever made them as an adult either.
Yeah, I used to make these with my grandma when I was a kid. She followed the tollhouse recipe right off the package. The memories are great but have nothing to do with the cookies. At that age, it was purely magical to me that we could create cookies from scratch right there in her apartment.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.