Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
trancher

Re: Baking Much?

Post by trancher »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:39 pm

Triple Chocolate Cookies
Ronnie, for reasons of safety, you might want to send these my way for calorie testing. :D 8-) :P
ared715

Post by ared715 »

Impressive work yall!

Anyone out there using sourdough starter or flour from Carolina Ground by chance?

If so, would love to discuss your process and results!
komarov

Post by komarov »

former pastry chef, now i make croissants at home
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Homemade croissants! That's impressive!
Ricardo
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

komarov wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:24 am Image
former pastry chef, now i make croissants at home
Wow those are gorgeous! Do you use a dough sheeter for the dough or hand roll it?
komarov

Post by komarov »

Thank you. They are hand rolled
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Lovely looking.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Komorov...those are professional grade. Amazing!
jknife

Post by jknife »

This is my first foray into the "Baking Much" thread! It is also the first time I have made english muffins.
I have decided to try and make the ultimate breakfast sandwich and since there are no bakeries that make english muffins in my area I had to make them myself. I have to say that I did a pretty good job of it but there is always room for improvement.
Does anyone out there have a go to english muffin recipe you would be willing to share?
Attachments
IMG_1258.jpeg
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

jknife wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 am This is my first foray into the "Baking Much" thread! It is also the first time I have made english muffins.
I have decided to try and make the ultimate breakfast sandwich and since there are no bakeries that make english muffins in my area I had to make them myself. I have to say that I did a pretty good job of it but there is always room for improvement.
Does anyone out there have a go to english muffin recipe you would be willing to share?
Those look great. I'll ask my mom, she used to make them.

edit to add. Just texted her, she still has the recipe and will send it to me. I'll post it when I get it. She says it makes a HUGE batch.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I was really drawn to this Claire Saffitz recipe/method for Oat & Pecan Brittle Cookies. In spite of the fact that there are a few more steps than in a typical cookie bake, I decided to give it a go. The main addition is a pecan brittle that is made before the actual cookie batching can begin. That finished brittle gets divided into 2 equal portions. Half of it gets ground into the dry ingredient mixture. The other half gets cut into small pieces -- used an old Henckels chef knife for this! -- and mixed into the cookies . . .

Oat & Pecan Brittle Cookies

These turned out great -- and I'll definitely make them again -- but the process was not without some drama. My first attempt at the brittle failed, albeit deliciously. What I didn't know -- and what doesn't seem to be mentioned in the youtube video or the written recipe -- is that the brittle must be taken to the hard crack stage, which is 300F. If you don't get it there, it will not set correctly and you'll end up with some large pieces of sugar-coated roasted pecan pieces rather than a uniform slab of brittle. They're delicious and will make a nice sweet treat but they're not suitable for including in the cookies. After googling "why did my brittle fail?," it was immediately and abundantly clear what I didn't do. I love Claire and have made several of her recipes but this omission is a glaring one. In any case, now that I know, it won't stop me from making them -- or other recipes of hers -- again in the future. Before I tried these, if you told me that a great recipe for oat cookies included neither cinnamon nor raisins, I wouldn't have believed it. These were absolutely worth the effort and as often happens when I get outside my comfort zone, I learned some things.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:51 pm I was really drawn to this Claire Saffitz recipe/method for Oat & Pecan Brittle Cookies. In spite of the fact that there are a few more steps than in a typical cookie bake, I decided to give it a go. The main addition is a pecan brittle that is made before the actual cookie batching can begin. That finished brittle gets divided into 2 equal portions. Half of it gets ground into the dry ingredient mixture. The other half gets cut into small pieces -- used an old Henckels chef knife for this! -- and mixed into the cookies . . .

Oat & Pecan Brittle Cookies

These turned out great -- and I'll definitely make them again -- but the process was not without some drama. My first attempt at the brittle failed, albeit deliciously. What I didn't know -- and what doesn't seem to be mentioned in the youtube video or the written recipe -- is that the brittle must be taken to the hard crack stage, which is 300F. If you don't get it there, it will not set correctly and you'll end up with some large pieces of sugar-coated roasted pecan pieces rather than a uniform slab of brittle. They're delicious and will make a nice sweet treat but they're not suitable for including in the cookies. After googling "why did my brittle fail?," it was immediately and abundantly clear what I didn't do. I love Claire and have made several of her recipes but this omission is a glaring one. In any case, now that I know, it won't stop me from making them -- or other recipes of hers -- again in the future. Before I tried these, if you told me that a great recipe for oat cookies included neither cinnamon nor raisins, I wouldn't have believed it. These were absolutely worth the effort and as often happens when I get outside my comfort zone, I learned some things.
Those look delicious Mr. Suburban! Another recipe to add to the pile of ones to try.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

This is another Claire Saffitz recipe. Yes, I think I'm falling in love, lol! This clever recipe puts a very nice twist on banana bread, via the inclusion of almond butter in the batter and also as part of a crispy topping . . .

Claire Saffitz's Banana Bread & Kohetsu 1K6 Bread Knife 240mm
Another interesting thing is that there's no butter in the recipe. The fat is all coconut oil.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Nice looking banana bread, Ronnie.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

jknife wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 am This is my first foray into the "Baking Much" thread! It is also the first time I have made english muffins.
Hay Mr. Knife! Here is my mom's recipe for English muffins.
Wilma's English Muffins
Wilma's English Muffins
Also, here is a link to Classic English Muffins Recipe By Claire Saffitz. Mr. Suburban lately seems to be a fan of Ms. Saffitz and her recipes. I haven't tried it myself.
trancher

Post by trancher »

XexoX wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 pm
english muffins.jpg
Also, here is a link to Classic English Muffins Recipe By Claire Saffitz. Mr. Suburban lately seems to be a fan of Ms. Saffitz and her recipes. I haven't tried it myself.

Very kind of you to post, Xexo.

One question: What measurement is the oil/butter in?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

trancher wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:08 pm
english muffins.jpg

Very kind of you to post, Xexo.

One question: What measurement is the oil/butter in?
Thanks. I didn't catch the missing measurment for the oil/butter. Waiting to hear from mom. She is 92, so she thinks faster then she writes sometimes. She has made these since the mid 1970s. Oh, the starter mentioned is sourdough starter, if that wasn't obvious.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Mr. Knife, there is also Stella Parks' No-Knead English Muffin Recipe at Serious Eats or at Washington Post No-Knead English Muffins.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I too have been on the "Ultimate Bfast Sammy" trail for over a year now. I haven't made english muffins for years now since for just 2 of us, there were just too many in the recipes. (freeze em? no way). But I discovered "Bays" english muffins. they are in the fridge section usually near the eggs or butter etc. I found they were the absolute best bought muffins.
So far have tried: eggs benedict (our fav) on muffins (but graduated to focaccia lately), egg mcmuffins, breakfast croissants with scrambled eggs like they have a jack in the box(ultimate bfast sandwich), breakfast burritos and lastly McGriddles...which i couldn't duplicate. Yeh lots of copycat stuff but McD's uses proprietary chunks of maple syrup crystals specifically designed to melt at a certain temperature and you can add maple syrup, maple syrup powder or nuggets and it just doesn't come out the same so I gave up.
jknife

Post by jknife »

english muffins.jpg
Thank you Mr. XexoX and please pass my thanks on to your wonderful mother.
It was actually Claire"s recipe that I used for my first attempt. I have since purchased her book "Desert Person" for my wife who is the real baker in the family.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.