Konosuke vs Shibata Sujihikis

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Pat Y

Konosuke vs Shibata Sujihikis

Post by Pat Y »

Hi Everyone,

I've been waiting for Shibata's Kotetsu sujihiki 270 to come back into stock. Meanwhile the Konosuke Fujiyama sujihiki is now available. I'm kinda tempted to try it out but don't want to buy on impulse. I'm familiar with both makers as I have a Shibata AS 240 and a Kono FM210 so i know I probably can't go wrong with either. I'm just looking to see if anyone wants to give their opinions either way or if anyone has both or has tried both. I'm just a home cook with fair but improving knife skills and this is a want, not a need. Steel type makes no difference as I'm very careful with my blades.
Thank you!

Pat
stevem627

Re: Konosuke vs Shibata Sujihikis

Post by stevem627 »

This is the Classifieds and might be a great choice.

https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 16&t=14712
bruin

Post by bruin »

Pat Y wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:47 am Hi Everyone,

I've been waiting for Shibata's Kotetsu sujihiki 270 to come back into stock. Meanwhile the Konosuke Fujiyama sujihiki is now available. I'm kinda tempted to try it out but don't want to buy on impulse. I'm familiar with both makers as I have a Shibata AS 240 and a Kono FM210 so i know I probably can't go wrong with either. I'm just looking to see if anyone wants to give their opinions either way or if anyone has both or has tried both. I'm just a home cook with fair but improving knife skills and this is a want, not a need. Steel type makes no difference as I'm very careful with my blades.
Thank you!

Pat
I haven’t tried either, but do have knives from both makers like you do. It would be helpful to know what you plan to use the knife for. But if you’re just looking for a new suji to try out, as you said you can’t go wrong with either so I’d go with the Fuji just because it’s in stock. If you can wait, I guess what I’d be thinking about if I was you:

-Thinner Kotetsu vs thicker Kono
-Stainless Kotetsu vs all reactive Kono
-Properly 270mm Kotetsu vs slightly shorter Kono
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

[/quote]

I haven’t tried either, but do have knives from both makers like you do. It would be helpful to know what you plan to use the knife for. But if you’re just looking for a new suji to try out, as you said you can’t go wrong with either so I’d go with the Fuji just because it’s in stock. If you can wait, I guess what I’d be thinking about if I was you:

-Thinner Kotetsu vs thicker Kono
-Stainless Kotetsu vs all reactive Kono
-Properly 270mm Kotetsu vs slightly shorter Kono
[/quote]

Great points! Thank you. As I mentioned I don't have a need but I wanted to try one out primary for making nice thin slices on roasts etc for family dinners. I think what I'm hung up on is I love the laser Shibata for slicing proteins for freezer packaging so I'm wondering about the performance of the Fuji VS.
The knife from the classifieds above is interesting though. Beautiful, it would be a maker I have not tried yet, a new steel and I'd save a few bucks over new to top it off.

Pat
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

The first question that jumped into my mind was: “Does he (assuming Pat is for Patrick) want to use it more like a yanagi for fish (Shibata) or more for carving (something more robust)?

Second thought was If he's doing any work on bone (poultry, bone in) I think I might want a more robust edge than the Shibata. Minor points as you can always use a gyuto or honesuki to do the dirty work but... Just the way I was thinking.

With that said...

As you mentioned you’re not going to go wrong either way you pick but —— if you’re trying to get cold cut thin out of your roasts then I’d opt for the Shibata. Sunday dinner thick then I might like something a little stiffer and the Fuji should be. I’ve settled on a Takeda as my Suji. I find it splits the difference very nicely.
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

Robstreperous wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 am The first question that jumped into my mind was: “Does he (assuming Pat is for Patrick) want to use it more like a yanagi for fish (Shibata) or more for carving (something more robust)?

Second thought was If he's doing any work on bone (poultry, bone in) I think I might want a more robust edge than the Shibata. Minor points as you can always use a gyuto or honesuki to do the dirty work but... Just the way I was thinking.

With that said...

As you mentioned you’re not going to go wrong either way you pick but —— if you’re trying to get cold cut thin out of your roasts then I’d opt for the Shibata. Sunday dinner thick then I might like something a little stiffer and the Fuji should be. I’ve settled on a Takeda as my Suji. I find it splits the difference very nicely.
Carving would be the more than likely be the main use. Ham, roasts (beef and pork). We don't do much fish so that's not a priority. A more robust blade probably makes sense. I appreciate the good points everyone brought up.

Patrick
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

Knifewear just restocking their Shibata Sujihiki like few days ago
Mine just arrived today, very thin behind the edge with convex grind, I haven’t try to cut it today but will try tomorrow
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

I tried cutting with the Shibata slicer today, it’s super sharp, Way sharper than my Misono UX10, I don’t know about the Carving, but I won’t recommend this Shibata slicer for cutting raw fish(sushi and sashimi), the height of the blade and the k tip will gets in your way when pull cutting diagonally, affect the food release. I might consider switching to more pointing tip like Kono Sujihiki instead. But if you are cutting Rolls, steak or something straight down, then it’s a good choice.
Last edited by Jason183 on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

Jason183 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm I tried cutting with the Shibata slicer today, it’s super sharp, Way sharper than my Misono UX10, I don’t know about the Carving, but I won’t recommend this Shibata slicer for cutting raw fish(sushi and sashimi), the height of the blade and the k tip will gets in your way when pull cutting diagonally, affect the food release. I might consider switching to more pointing tip like Kono Sujihiki instead. But if you are cutting Rolls, steak or something straight down, then it’s a good choice.
Thanks for the feedback!
snipes

Post by snipes »

The question I often ask myself and others as it relates to a suji is "how do you use it during dinner?" Like you my suji gets used more for cooked proteins than raw fish. My suji comes out and stays out during dinner, typically not being wiped down until after the meal is over. For me, this requirement forces me towards stainless clad or full stainless knives. I love my Fuji, but could never see myself owning a Fujiyama suji due to the iron cladding. This could be something to consider.