Knife for Silverskin

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
mikeltee

Knife for Silverskin

Post by mikeltee »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home cook with 30 years restaurant experience

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Petty?

3) What size knife do you want?
150mm?

4)How much do you want to spend?
<$200USD

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Doesn't matter

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
I prefer Western but I think I am going to give Wu a try

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Junk

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Excellent

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
All but prefer to rock

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
WIcked Edge Pro so 50/50 bevel is a must!

Hi guys. BBQ season is coming up. I would like a set to work meat. I am going to start with a silver skin trimming knife. I currently use a filet knife for the job and I like the thinness as there is hardy any waste. I want something that can hold an edge and is thin. It does not need to flex but I figure the thinner the less waste. I was probably going to go for Kohetsu 150mm petty in HAP40. I can not tell if it has a 50/50 bevel. I would probably grab the 240mm Gyuto to match. Kohetsu seems to have everything I would want and I like matching! A Sujihiki for slicing and a Nakiri for vegetable prep would come shortly down the road. I also had a Tojiro DP set in mind as well starting with the 150mm boning knife. It seems you get a lot for the money with Tojiro. Am I better off getting something better than Tojiro DP?
Qapla'

Re: Knife for Silverskin

Post by Qapla' »

What do you think of this?

https://towncutler.com/products/straigh ... esert-dawn

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this knife.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

The Kohetsu HAP40 seems like a perfect fit. They are thinner than the Tojiro and will stay sharper longer than pretty much anything else. The bevel should be around 50/50 (possibly 60/40), but take note that most Japanese knives are intentionally asymmetrical.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You do get a lot for the money with Tojiro and Kohetsu too.

I generally use a 150mm petty >30mm tall for silverskin.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mikeltee

Post by mikeltee »

Qapla' wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:48 pm What do you think of this?

I think it's awesome! Unfortunately all the reviews I have read state that the money goes into their handles. On paper it looks to be perfect. Too bad I couldn't handle one. I think I will stick to something from CFTG as I am more confident I'm my purchase without actually handling the knife. Thank you for posting though... such cool outside the box knives!
Infrared wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:12 pm The Kohetsu HAP40 seems like a perfect fit. They are thinner than the Tojiro and will stay sharper longer than pretty much anything else. The bevel should be around 50/50 (possibly 60/40), but take note that most Japanese knives are intentionally asymmetrical.
I can handle a 60/40 on my Wicked Edge. I think that ratio may help to slide the food off the blade. If I don't like it I can always easily grind to a 50/50 with a 50 grit stone.

Jeff B wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:29 pm You do get a lot for the money with Tojiro and Kohetsu too.

I generally use a 150mm petty >30mm tall for silverskin.
Having spent many hours researching I am gathering that these 2 brands offer the most for the money. I was set upon the western handles when I first came here and if I was grinding it out 12 hours on a line I would stick to what I know works but I think I am going to try the Japanese style handles. I will be getting that monster 270mm chefs knife from Tojiro though. I've always wanted a big and heavy chefs knife. I still want to hear others opinions for sure.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Those look nice and appear to be made n Nevada. I use a Honesuki for silver skin or my yoshikane 150 petty. Both work pretty well
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

If you like Tojiro I’d look at the Tojiro Atelier line of knives.
mikeltee

Post by mikeltee »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:58 pm

Those look nice and appear to be made n Nevada. I use a Honesuki for silver skin or my yoshikane 150 petty. Both work pretty well
I originally ordered the Tojiri Honesuki but canceled it because all I read was it was a one trick pony. I don't see how it could be good with silver skin being so thick. I love its profile though. Which one did you go with and is it thick or thin?
mikeltee

Post by mikeltee »

Santas_101 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 pm If you like Tojiro I’d look at the Tojiro Atelier line of knives.
65 Rockwell looks good but I'd imagine it's a bear to sharpen being VG10. They only have 2 knives and both are too big for what I am looking for in a knife. Fit and finish looks on point! Thanks for your comment though!
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

mikeltee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:50 pm
Santas_101 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 pm If you like Tojiro I’d look at the Tojiro Atelier line of knives.
65 Rockwell looks good but I'd imagine it's a bear to sharpen being VG10. They only have 2 knives and both are too big for what I am looking for in a knife. Fit and finish looks on point! Thanks for your comment though!
I’m not sure where you got 65 Rockwell. I think you are looking at the wrong item. It’s impossible to heat treat VG-10 that high. It’s heat treated to a 61 Rockwell. Also, Mark gets in them in pretty often. Mark sells the 120mm petty, the 210mm gyuto, and the 240mm gyuto.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I think for removing silverskin, a petty would just take too much off... I always reach for thinner, slightly flexible knife for silverskin, like a boning knife. I'd want something like this:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbokn15.html

Or this:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkho18fiha.html

Unfortunately, neither have wa handles, but for cleaning up briskets or loins, they'd be the kind of thing I'd reach for.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

JASinIL2006 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 am I think for removing silverskin, a petty would just take too much off... I always reach for thinner, slightly flexible knife for silverskin, like a boning knife. I'd want something like this:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbokn15.html

Or this:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkho18fiha.html

Unfortunately, neither have wa handles, but for cleaning up briskets or loins, they'd be the kind of thing I'd reach for.
Those knives are just as thick as the petty I use. I don't have trouble taking off too much with a petty. My father-in-law was a butcher for over 30 years and I watched him clean up a beef loin with an 8" Victorinox chef knife easily and with little waste.

In the end it's as much about the sharpness of the knife and technique/skill and less about this or that knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think you are on the right track buying the Tojiro 3 piece set here. You get a petty/boning knife that fits your needs and a nice paring and chef knife to replace the junk.

I have some Tojiro DP knives and they are great values
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

I personally use a boning knife for that job that is around 180mm. Are you set on the 150 mm length? Measure your filet knife that you currently use and you might find that you are coming up a bit short on length.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

playingfetch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:13 pm I personally use a boning knife for that job that is around 180mm. Are you set on the 150 mm length? Measure your filet knife that you currently use and you might find that you are coming up a bit short on length.
I have a 210mm Konosuke w#2 petty that works well for these tasks too.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:09 pm
playingfetch wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:13 pm I personally use a boning knife for that job that is around 180mm. Are you set on the 150 mm length? Measure your filet knife that you currently use and you might find that you are coming up a bit short on length.
I have a 210mm Konosuke w#2 petty that works well for these tasks too.
That’s pretty much a small slicer right?
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

In my kitchen i agree with Jeff. Somewhere between 150-210 Petty gets all the silverskin. I usually have a 150 petty on the board so i'll use that if its already out, but a 180/210 is my preference.

In your price range, I'd recommend a 180 Fujiwara FKM petty, or a 210 Tojiro DP Slicer. I have the Wa version of the 210 DP Slicer (Tojiro Zen.) and it permanently lives in my travel kit.
mikeltee

Post by mikeltee »

My filet knife is around 7". I went with the Kohetsu HAP40 150mm petty for the 50/50 grind and excellent blade retention. I also got a 210mm Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto. The tip on it will satisfy any length shortcomings that the petty may fall short on. Next up is a 240mm slicer. I'm gonna need a couple weeks to recover from this splurge though. Thanks for your thoughts guys. I really wanted that Torijo 3 piece set but in the end I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it. I'm more of a buy once cry once kinda guy.
LucaBrasi

Post by LucaBrasi »

In my experience the best knives for this are 180 to 210mm pettys of the Sakai laser style. Super thin and flexible, perfect to get under the skin and draw it down in strips. I use a 210 Gesshin Ginga stainless, but I tend to think it would be interchangeable with many many similar styled knives.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

mikeltee wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:29 pm My filet knife is around 7". I went with the Kohetsu HAP40 150mm petty for the 50/50 grind and excellent blade retention. I also got a 210mm Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto. The tip on it will satisfy any length shortcomings that the petty may fall short on. Next up is a 240mm slicer. I'm gonna need a couple weeks to recover from this splurge though. Thanks for your thoughts guys. I really wanted that Torijo 3 piece set but in the end I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it. I'm more of a buy once cry once kinda guy.
Let us know when you realize that you should have gone longer (i.e. 240 Gyuto, 270 Suji) :)