What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ronnie_suburban

Re: What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:35 pm Great, now I want honey butter fried chicken and their grits
Well, I guess the upside is that the wait's bound to be shorter at HBFC. ;)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I didn't go there for about the first year they were open because of the lines that were always down the block.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:13 pm I didn't go there for about the first year they were open because of the lines that were always down the block.
Yeah, it was truly crazy there for a number of months after they opened. HBFC also has a seemingly permanent collab going with Piece Pizzeria down on North Avenue (white pizza with HBFC, blue cheese, scallions, HBFC signature buffalo sauce and topped with crunchies). And not that it's much help to city-dwellers but their second location in Glencoe is rumored to be opening in November.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Finally got around to making a pizza today! Also made some mini's and a calzone but those pix didnt make it before they were gone.
Attachments
P1160927.jpg
wrathen

Post by wrathen »

Forgot to snag a photo but I did my normal bread in the bread machine, then for toppings did pepperoni, jalapeños, fresh diced tomato.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Tiptoeing into pizza from scratch.

Dough was cold-fermented (2 days) using the Roberta’s recipe from NYT. Having grown up with European recipes, weighing the ingredients is second nature to me.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... izza-dough

I got most of the rest of it, including how to form the pizza, from this guy who seems to have it together. I hewed to his counsel to avoid overtopping.

https://www.sipandfeast.com/homemade-pi ... unbromated.

Today I pulled out one of the two dough portions and worked it into a 13- inch circle that (sorta) neatly fit into my ancient Cuisinart griddle.

I wanted to keep my first go at a New York pie super simple, so lightly greased griddle, a thin coat of Stater Bros crushed tomatoes, about 6 oz of mozzarella/provolone blend. No oregano, salt, garlic, nuttin’. Oh and lots of licking the tomato spoon … I’d forgotten this particular kind of delicious.
Formed dough with ‘maters and cheese standing by.
Formed dough with ‘maters and cheese standing by.
Into a 450 oven. 14 minutes later, the cheese was starting to brown.
Cut and ready to eat!
Cut and ready to eat!
Six slices later, I’m pretty pleased. (demure burp)

Now I’m looking to up my pizza game. Gonna get a steel and a peel offa the Zon. That should get me into some nice char on the bottom and that perfect New York flop&fold action. Sadly, that eats into my knife budget, but ~expressive shrug~.

Second portion of dough is gonna get the same treatment plus (homemade. Double fennel!) sausage, mushroom and some diced poblano/jalapeño left over from whipping up some queso.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I'm on take 2 for focaccia pizza. This is the recipe for mini-focaccia breads from KA adapted to pizza (or trying to adapt..)
Baked in a 10 inch cake pan for 12 mins, then thicker sauce added, cheese and super thin Boars Head pepperoni (that I bought for making but stromboli but didnt lol), which didnt do that well under the broiler at the end but still tasted great.
This stuff was still too thick for me (but my wife loved it) so next time ill cut back on the flour a bit more...stay tuned one of these days ill get it right I hope.
Attachments
focacci pizza take 2 crust.jpg
focaccia pizza take 2.JPEG