What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
billk1002

Re: What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Post by billk1002 »

XexoX wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:32 pm
Bob Z wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 pm You need a stone or steel because you first pre heat your oven with the stone/steel in it, and it retains the 500 degree heat to get your crust going. Since you dont have the benefit of a floor heat source you need one of these for sure. I have a steel, it sure is a hefty thing and Id hate to drop it, and i see it lasting forever vs a stone cracking/breaking getting discolored etc. But many stones are rectangular which means you can put a sheet tray on em and they give you a larger surface to utilize.

Getting a peel, yup def need one of these too. Id go for a metal one vs wood which in my opinion seemed stickier to fresh dough, and metal would be lighter also.
After you get your peel and try it out make sure the pizza isnt stuck to it before you try to load the pizza into the oven!!! Some flour/cornmeal/semolina on bottom of crust helps here. Or if none of those seems to work you can make the pie on top of a piece of parchment paper then slide it in. The paper comes right off after a few minutes in the oven if you want to take it off before the pizza is done.
Thank you Mr. Z. Most helpful. I'll keep you posted.

I do have a stone (well, I had two, but dropped one). I'll try it with the next pizza. If I can get a covered area outside, I might get one of the KettlePizza for the Weber.
Is there an advantage to using a steel plate over a stone in a convection oven?
Do you find that your crust comes out better if you remove the hot stone/steel from the oven and build your pizza quickly on it vs. building it on the peel?
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

billk1002 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 pm Is there an advantage to using a steel plate over a stone in a convection oven?
Do you find that your crust comes out better if you remove the hot stone/steel from the oven and build your pizza quickly on it vs. building it on the peel?
I can't speak from personal experience here, but Serious Eats likes the steels better than the stones. Mr. Joe (salemj) takes his hot stone out of the oven and builds his pizza on it, then puts stone and pizza back in the oven and has good results. I'm learning and experimenting, so I'll post what I manage to achieve here.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I prefer steels because with stones, over time, oils from the food cooked on them seep into them and eventually develop a rancid aroma. This doesn't happen with steels, which are fully cleanable. Steels also don't crack if mishandled or inadvertently treated in a less careful manner.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

For me, I would never take the hot stone or steel out of the oven and make the pizza on it, way too dangerous! You arent going to have much chance to rearrange the dough or stretch it etc when it starts to cook soon as it hits the hot stone. But if you make rectangular pizza
s like i think Joe said he did, thats about the only way you are going to get it done. If you have issues with the dough sticking to the peel try the parchment paper method I mentioned above, works great every time. buy a large two pack of parchment paper at costco. Cooks country had some fancy peel that the dough rolled off of that they liked but I never saw one and it seems kinda gimmicky.

Stone vs steel? I read all the stuff bout better crust with steel so got one, My pizza's seemed a bit better but nothing to crow about.
I make quiche on it now so I dont need to par bake the pie shells first lol. Im agreeing with Ronnie here bout stains etc getting into the porous stone, and then you can always drop it and its over.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Friday night pizza, nice and simple, pepperoni and mushroom.
Attachments
1181D08E-74A7-4F7D-B93C-866AFE7D92CF.jpeg
Bill
trancher

Post by trancher »

Pizza, Pizza!

Looks great! Eat some for us :!:
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

A quick lunch. 2 cheese pizzas and a chorizo. I still use my customized artifex.
60F1D669-D0E5-4FC1-99D6-EF77DF07EAB2.jpeg
FF120165-F4E1-402E-9AE1-768DF0135E10.jpeg
DCF1B75E-8826-40B5-9591-F36A3170943F.jpeg
6AEBA6C5-2F65-47D1-B7A4-AD47CF5C5659.jpeg
salemj

Post by salemj »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:45 pm For me, I would never take the hot stone or steel out of the oven and make the pizza on it, way too dangerous! You arent going to have much chance to rearrange the dough or stretch it etc when it starts to cook soon as it hits the hot stone. But if you make rectangular pizza
s like i think Joe said he did, thats about the only way you are going to get it done. If you have issues with the dough sticking to the peel try the parchment paper method I mentioned above, works great every time. buy a large two pack of parchment paper at costco. Cooks country had some fancy peel that the dough rolled off of that they liked but I never saw one and it seems kinda gimmicky.

Stone vs steel? I read all the stuff bout better crust with steel so got one, My pizza's seemed a bit better but nothing to crow about.
I make quiche on it now so I dont need to par bake the pie shells first lol. Im agreeing with Ronnie here bout stains etc getting into the porous stone, and then you can always drop it and its over.
My stone in a version of this: https://www.emilehenryusa.com/products/ ... izza-stone

The handles make it very easy and safe to get in and out of the oven, and it is also Emily Henry's special porcelain, so it is quite lightweight (much lighter than a typical pizza stone, but still gets ripping hot). It may seem weird to pull it out, but to be honest, I can easily imagine that there would be about the same overall heat loss and recovery time if I had the door open long enough to fiddle with a stubborn peel. As it is, the oven is already re-heating when I take it out, so it is nice and hot when it goes back in. But yes, ideally I would use a peel.

I've definitely thought about getting a steel, and probably will...but it will require yet another change in how I prep my pizzas!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Cool enough today to finally make some pizza! was only about 90 today breaking the heat wave here.
Just a few pepperoni pies. I used uncured pepperoni and after the first 2 pies,it was just so much oil, I finally treated the last bunch of pepperoni to chef Mike for about 40 seconds and most of the grease soaked into the paper towels.
Attachments
IMG_2482.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

BBQ Chicken Pizza.
I am not into fancy pizzas normally, we like just plain and simple, but we had some BBQ left over so.....
Oh my....delicious!
pizza_chicken-3.jpg
pizza_chicken-1.jpg
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Does anyone have one of these? Breville Pizzaiolo https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... pz820.html
Found this by accident looking at pizza vids and was WOWed by it.
Course Im not very wowed by the current list price of $999.
Here is the Serious Eats review: https://www.seriouseats.com/breville-pi ... ven-review
gladius

Post by gladius »

That has good reviews but I wonder how long the $1000 1800 watt electric oven will last? ...and how long it will take you to pay off the loan for it? :lol:

I bought a $300 competitors 1700 watt electric oven thinking I could bake bread, pizza, warm leftovers, etc. and it was great until it stopped working after three weeks. Luckily it failed within the return window and I got a refund. I know heat kills electronics and is probably what killed it.

You might be better off getting a KettlePizza and/or a Vortex. I have a Vortex and it concentrates the heat well on the kettle for decent crust cooking on a cast iron griddle. The wood fired smoke gives pizza an excellent taste an electric oven does not duplicate.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

gladius wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:22 pm That has good reviews but I wonder how long the $1000 1800 watt electric oven will last? ...and how long it will take you to pay off the loan for it? :lol:

You might be better off getting a KettlePizza and/or a Vortex. I have a Vortex and it concentrates the heat well on the kettle for decent crust cooking on a cast iron griddle. The wood fired smoke gives pizza an excellent taste an electric oven does not duplicate.
There must be 20 different under $500 options now for outside pizza making with the Ooni probably being my first choice so far. But it only makes neopolitan style pies which I like but prefer a variety of toppings which I dont think play well with the real high heat. As far a grill adapters go, too much trouble for two people to go thru. I rarely ever use the charcoal weber vs my gas weber which I use and like alot.
But I agree with heat killing electronics, my spark igniter went out once on my viking and when its real hot with lots of oven stuff going on etc sometimes wont ignite one of the burners.
XexoX

Heinz Beanz Pizza

Post by XexoX »

Well, if you are in the UK you can try to get your hands on (or should that be teeth in?) a Heinz Beanz Pizza. Heinz Baked Beanz Pizza. Does not sound appetizing to me.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

I love Heinz beans and have tried a couple times to recreate them, but can't quite nail it. Some snags, toast, fried eggs, broiled tomato, and Heinz beans is one of my favorite breakfasts.

I wouldn't turn down a slice of that if someone offered it.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Back at the ooni today.

The kids liked ham.. a surprising amount. Enjoy the photos.
F2FDD72F-177F-434B-9B93-67D194E534E1.jpeg
E26544C4-A6A5-4775-A6C3-8228E2B7385E.jpeg
7F1F3B41-90F9-4E8F-BCAD-6EDD4EAA2B9F.jpeg
8EE575A5-3386-46B8-88FF-447726C2EF85.jpeg
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Saturday night pizza.
BEB40542-8719-476F-977A-7FCD85468683.jpeg
Bill
mjgillen

Post by mjgillen »

Costco Sabatasso’s Gluten Free Four Cheese Pizza
Added pepperoni.

My wife is trying gluten free and this is pretty good. Made with rice.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

IMG_2771.jpeg
IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2773.jpeg

The weather warmed up and it wasn't raining.
1) cheese
2) bbq chicken
3) fridge dump (bbq chicken, hamburger, hot dog
4 ) ham
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Your crusts look great Ben!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.