Everything but the kitchen sink knife recommendation?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Everything but the kitchen sink knife recommendation?

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

Said person(s) using it could have zero knife skills, Neanderthal knife skills or someone who knows their way around a knife and a cutting board. I'm thinking 180ish length and stainless, western handle. I need a knife I can look at sitting in the sink (cringe) and not freak after someone creates a kitchen bomb. First thing that comes to mind is Victorinox. Is there a better knife, for the hard life it will experience, for about the same money?
XexoX

Re: Everything but the kitchen sink knife recommendation?

Post by XexoX »

I just posted in another thread, here about the Richmond Artifex II, maybe that is what you are looking for?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

Tojiro DP VG10 Gyuto 180mm 2 Rivet https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpvggy18.html
7x57mm@gmail.com

I'm not sure where my post from about 5 minutes ago ended up but Infrared, I mentioned the Tojiro bolsterless DP Gyuto. I'm concerned that the VG10 could get chipped easily considering this knife will likely see cooked proteins cut on dinner plates, cutting through chicken bones (seems cartilage and joints are a waste of time ;) )
7x57mm@gmail.com

Xexox...in that lost post, I mentioned your Artifex suggestion was excellent....saw your post before I created this one. The knife would be too long for those I see using it. I just don't know how "resilient" VG10 is compared to a german type steel.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 pm I'm concerned that the VG10 could get chipped easily considering this knife will likely see cooked proteins cut on dinner plates, cutting through chicken bones (seems cartilage and joints are a waste of time ;) )
In that case Victorinox is definitely the way to go.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

The level of abuse mentioned would probably destroy any knife. Maybe a Dexter Russell is the answer. Chicken bones?
With a small amount of corrections you could try
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fu18gy.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:55 pm Xexox...in that lost post, I mentioned your Artifex suggestion was excellent....saw your post before I created this one. The knife would be too long for those I see using it. I just don't know how "resilient" VG10 is compared to a german type steel.
I know some of your posts disappeared. I have no clue why. I noticed some posts disappeared on another thread. Think I'll go mention the problem there too.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
gladius

Post by gladius »

When durability is a factor, I like recommending MAC <<, they are good "gateway" knives.
7x57mm@gmail.com

gladius wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 am When durability is a factor, I like recommending MAC <<, they are good "gateway" knives.
Gladius...I would ask this question in a PM but said function appears to still be on the fritz. Do you know if there is any appreciable difference between the steel used in the Chef vs Pro MAC line?
gladius

Post by gladius »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:54 pm
gladius wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 am When durability is a factor, I like recommending MAC <<, they are good "gateway" knives.
Gladius...I would ask this question in a PM but said function appears to still be on the fritz. Do you know if there is any appreciable difference between the steel used in the Chef vs Pro MAC line?
---
No, I think both series are made from their proprietary original molybdenum steel. The main difference is the Pro has a bolster. They make a Japanese Series that are made from other steel.

ref. https://www.macknife.com/

BTW, Victorinox are also made from a tough chrome/moly proprietary steel, but Mac are made thinner and harder.
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

If it's going to be abused anyways, there is no point in investing in more than a victorinox (which is an excellent knife).
gladius

Post by gladius »

Tostadas wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 pm If it's going to be abused anyways, there is no point in investing in more than a victorinox (which is an excellent knife).
—-
Neanderthal man did eventually evolve.
7x57mm@gmail.com

gladius wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:45 pm
Neanderthal man did eventually evolve.
:lol:
7x57mm@gmail.com

I'm still on the fence on what to purchase for my everyone can use knife (including myself). I've narrowed it down to the Mac Pro 8.5" Gyuto and the Kanehide TK 210mm. I was considering the Artifex II BD1N but was told it can be difficult to sharpen.
The MAC and Kanehide seem to be lauded as durable workhorse knives. I've never used either or have experience with either brands. Both are about the same price so I guess it boils down to durability, sharpenability etc. For those that have used both of these knives, your input would be appreciated.
gladius

Post by gladius »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm I'm still on the fence on what to purchase for my everyone can use knife (including myself). I've narrowed it down to the Mac Pro 8.5" Gyuto and the Kanehide TK 210mm. I was considering the Artifex II BD1N but was told it can be difficult to sharpen.
The MAC and Kanehide seem to be lauded as durable workhorse knives. I've never used either or have experience with either brands. Both are about the same price so I guess it boils down to durability, sharpenability etc. For those that have used both of these knives, your input would be appreciated.
---
I have both and prefer the TK as it is semi-stainless and has more carbon-like characteristics: sharpens better and more easily; its performance is overall better too. Pick the Mac if for more abusive non-evolved types and stainless carefree maintenance.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

If you are going 210 I’d get the Artifex. I have a Nexus that is BD1N and it sharpens fine on my Cerax 1000. The bigger issue it had was it was not very thin behind the edge. I took a 240 grit whetstone and thinned it and it’s a great knife steel for holding an edge and low maintenance.

Look at the reviews of the Artifex. I think it’s a good choice and priced great.
brian66

Post by brian66 »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm I'm still on the fence on what to purchase for my everyone can use kitchen knife (including myself). I've narrowed it down to the Mac Pro 8.5" Gyuto and the Kanehide TK 210mm. I was considering the Artifex II BD1N but was told it can be difficult to sharpen.
I have a Kanehide TK 210mm, I love it.
gladius

Post by gladius »

brian66 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:31 am
7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm I'm still on the fence on what to purchase for my everyone can use kitchen knife (including myself). I've narrowed it down to the Mac Pro 8.5" Gyuto and the Kanehide TK 210mm. I was considering the Artifex II BD1N but was told it can be difficult to sharpen.
---
+1
Between the two, I prefer the TK because it is semi-stainless so is allot like a carbon blade and easy to sharpen.
brian66

Post by brian66 »

gladius wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:19 am
brian66 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:31 am
---
+1
Between the two, I prefer the TK because it is semi-stainless so is allot like a carbon blade and easy to sharpen.
I am still using this knife and have not changed to another type yet