What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
aporigine

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by aporigine »

mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm Bought some lovely Corvina from our local fish seller, Juan.
Cooked it up with some peppers, onions, parsley and garlic in a lemon, butter and wine sauce.

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg
What’s the pan?
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

More noodle-inspired stir-fry, this time atop crispy pancit (wheat) . . .

Mise En Place & Matsubara Wavy Face Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Pancit/noodles, graffiti eggplant, Thai bird eye chiles, corn starch, scallion tops, minced garlic & microplaned ginger, chicken thigh meat, scallion bottoms, baking soda, granulated sugar, black pepper, broccoli florets.
Back row liquids (mostly for marinade): fish sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine, oyster sauce, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, avocado oil. In addition to the liquids, also in the marinade were corn starch, baking soda, some of the sugar and some of the black pepper.

While I was working the wok, I was also prepping the noodles in a separate pan, trying to get them crispy. Ended up using a 'potsticker-type' method. Seared in little oil, then steamed/covered until tender, then -- after the water had evaporated -- crisped up over high heat at the end.

On The Platter
Stir-Fried chicken and veg over crispy, pan-fried pancit.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:11 pm More noodle-inspired stir-fry, this time atop crispy pancit (wheat) . . .

Great looking Matsubara, Ronnie. I have the Santoku and the 210mm gyuto could be next.
Ricardo
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Grilled chicken thighs with zucchini, couscous, salad and chimichurri.
Happy hump day...

Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
IMG_6107.JPG
IMG_6109.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
ronnie_suburban

TheLegalRazor wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm Great looking Matsubara, Ronnie. I have the Santoku and the 210mm gyuto could be next.
Thanks. This is a brand new acquisition, so I'm just getting acquainted with it. I do own/enjoy some other Matsubaras but the height and the overall look of this one (59mm) made it impossible to resist. I really like Blue #2 and this treatment of it is consistently excellent.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

billk1002 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:02 pm Grilled chicken thighs with zucchini, couscous, salad and chimichurri.
Happy hump day...
That plate looks great, Bill! :)
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:51 pm
TheLegalRazor wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm Great looking Matsubara, Ronnie. I have the Santoku and the 210mm gyuto could be next.
Thanks. This is a brand new acquisition, so I'm just getting acquainted with it. I do own/enjoy some other Matsubaras but the height and the overall look of this one (59mm) made it impossible to resist. I really like Blue #2 and this treatment of it is consistently excellent.
Owning a Matsubara is on my short list, they are stunning, I see that the 210 is in stock if I had not just purchased a Nigara I would be all over that.
The pictures online show a VERY thin and tall grind behind the edge, it yours like that?
I am under the impression that the extra height goes well with a pinch grip?
Oh dam here I go again...
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
trancher

Post by trancher »

billk1002 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am
Owning a Matsubara is on my short list, they are stunning, I see that the 210 is in stock if I had not just purchased a Nigara I would be all over that.
The pictures online show a VERY thin and tall grind behind the edge, it yours like that?
The choil shot on these is just wild. I'm not sure I've seen anything ground down like this?!
matsubara-wavy-face-blue-2-gyuto-210mm-340.png
I too, have been looking to get another Matsubara next, but was thinking just the regular blue #2 nashiji and not the wavy face. Now, IDK...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:11 pm More noodle-inspired stir-fry, this time atop crispy pancit (wheat) . . .

Pancit/noodles, graffiti eggplant, Thai bird eye chiles, corn starch, scallion tops, minced garlic & microplaned ginger, chicken thigh meat, scallion bottoms, baking soda, granulated sugar, black pepper, broccoli florets.
Back row liquids (mostly for marinade): fish sauce, Shaoxing cooking wine, oyster sauce, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, avocado oil. In addition to the liquids, also in the marinade were corn starch, baking soda, some of the sugar and some of the black pepper.

While I was working the wok, I was also prepping the noodles in a separate pan, trying to get them crispy. Ended up using a 'potsticker-type' method. Seared in little oil, then steamed/covered until tender, then -- after the water had evaporated -- crisped up over high heat at the end.

On The Platter
Stir-Fried chicken and veg over crispy, pan-fried pancit.
Love...Your...Stir-fries! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Runner_up wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 pm It's a shame that there is so little action in the "what's cookin'?" section in a kitchen knife forum. We should keep a thread running of what we actually cook with all of our fancy knives :D

Today's lunch was Ribeye, roasted taters with crispy garlic, pan sauce with gorgonzola, mushrooms, red wine.
Now that looks goooood!!!!! As a true meat and potatoes guy...I am drooling!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

mauichef wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm
Runner_up wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 pm It's a shame that there is so little action in the "what's cookin'?" section in a kitchen knife forum. We should keep a thread running of what we actually cook with all of our fancy knives :D

Today's lunch was Ribeye, roasted taters with crispy garlic, pan sauce with gorgonzola, mushrooms, red wine.
Now that looks goooood!!!!! As a true meat and potatoes guy...I am drooling!
Catching up on posts from 5 years and 4 months ago are we? :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

billk1002 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am
LOL, yes. I only pinch grip, and this feels very comfortable. And even though the knife has a beefy demeanor, it's very thin behind the edge. It's an impressive combination of art, artistry and engineering.
=R=
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

XexoX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm Catching up on posts from 5 years and 4 months ago are we? :mrgreen:
I did not realize I was at post 1 when I commented. Hahahahaha...but doesn't change my feelings...looks so good! :lol:
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

mauichef wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm
XexoX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm Catching up on posts from 5 years and 4 months ago are we? :mrgreen:
I did not realize I was at post 1 when I commented. Hahahahaha...but doesn't change my feelings...looks so good! :lol:
I thought that might have been what happened. I've done that myself. :oops: Still had to rib you a bit over it. :D You are right, it does look delicious!
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
ronnie_suburban

Went with a healthy dinner tonight. Cabbage two ways, potato, cucumber and some bread. :lol:

Reuben Sandwich on Marble Rye from Loaf Lounge
Figured, why not throw a little leftover corned beef and some Jarlsberg into the mix? Homemade kraut, home-fermented dill pickle, Route 11 chips and a blob of the weekly slaw.

It's amazing how tasty vegetables can be! :P
=R=
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Wifey and I were driving past loaf lounge yesterday afternoon. Decided to stop in for a loaf but they were sold out of everything.. Ah well.. Another time maybe.
ronnie_suburban

STPepper9 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm Wifey and I were driving past loaf lounge yesterday afternoon. Decided to stop in for a loaf but they were sold out of everything.. Ah well.. Another time maybe.
Yeah, that'll happen. Especially after 3pm. My son lives nearby, so he often facilitates a morning connect for me. But if you know you're going to be in the area, you can call earlier in the day and ask them to set something aside for later pick-up.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm Went with a healthy dinner tonight. Cabbage two ways, potato, cucumber and some bread. :lol:

Figured, why not throw a little leftover corned beef and some Jarlsberg into the mix? Homemade kraut, home-fermented dill pickle, Route 11 chips and a blob of the weekly slaw.

Those Route 11 chips look good!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm Went with a healthy dinner tonight. Cabbage two ways, potato, cucumber and some bread. :lol:

That’s my kind of food Ronnie! Did you corn the beef yourself? Looks delicious. 😋
ronnie_suburban

mauichef wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am That’s my kind of food Ronnie! Did you corn the beef yourself? Looks delicious. 😋
Thanks, Ray. No, not this time. I forgot it was going to be St. Patrick's Day until it was too late, and I was at the store seeing discounted corned beefs in the case! Hopefully, next year.
=R=