Reprofile knife or leave as is?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
tonyc

Reprofile knife or leave as is?

Post by tonyc »

I purchased this ittosai 210mm gyuto (ryusen OEM?) knife about 10 years ago. I like the don't like its performance. It's never seen heavy duty and have sharpened it though full progressions of 800/2k/6k about 4 times. It seems to wedge hard vegetables a lot and struggles with food release. Are there certain tasks that a knife with this grind would be better at or should I try to thin it out.

[URLtarget][/URLtarget]
taz575

Re: Reprofile knife or leave as is?

Post by taz575 »

Most knives like that have fairly flat grinds to them (less convexing) and may have thicker edges. I would try thinning it out the edge and see how it does.

Hard veggies are hard for most knives to cut. I find they cut easier with a pushing down and away motion instead of trying a straight chop as well as using a 240mm or longer vs a 210mm since the short length limits the amount you can push forward and down. Convexing helps, but will push the food away and may end up cracking the food if it's a thicker blade. Hard veggies are hard to cut with most knives.
tonyc

Post by tonyc »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to think out the edge and see how it goes.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I don't know that there would be much of a resale on it so I would try to tweek it until it cut the way I wanted it to.