Improving this cleaver.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Improving this cleaver.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I don’t know if this will work but it’s something I’m going to try.

This is a big selling knife with some problems. They’ve really been a good item for us but doing a special one with these fixes I think would be a fun project. I can still offer the original version for those that like it as is.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html

Problem 1. The changed the logo from this nice stamp using Chinese Characters to a not so great laser engraving that cheapens the knife. I get why they did it (this builds their brand name if western customers can actually read it) but I get questions almost daily if I have the old ones available.

Problem 2. The handles on these are cheap using unfinished wood and a braised on bolster and they hammer over the rat tang at the end to hold it together. Wouldn’t a nice octagonal wa handle with buffalo horn look and feel so much better?

I’m going to attempt either convince CCK to work on these with me or try and find another company to do it as a new offering. If it works out we might be able to offer a nice alternative. I’m sure the handle will add some cost but in my mind it would be worth it.

If I do get another company I will also discuss with them the steel they use. I would love a step up in carbon steel quality but I don’t know if I can pull that off as well.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Re: Improving this cleaver.

Post by XexoX »

Mark, your ideas are very good. Best of luck with this New and Improved CCK cleaver. Your name will go down in history! The CCKM cleaver. I'll order one as soon as you offer it. Are you going to do one of those Kickstarter campaigns to fund it?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

HI Mark. I agree with you.

One of the main reasons I never seem to reach for my CCK is the shape and feel (rough) of that handle. I just don't like it and that's a shame since otherwise it's fun to use. Also, without meaning to offend, that newer engraving is kind of hard on my eyes. I doubt I'd have ever bought one with that engraving.

One concern I have with your ideas are what's going to happen to the price? For me one of the chief things that tipped me over from looker to buyer was it was a pretty inexpensive fun pick up to learn how to use a cleaver. At $85 with a nice handle I can still see myself as a buyer. At $105? I'm not so sure.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think if you can accomplish your goals and keep the price somewhat in the area of this price you will sell quite a few.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I prefer the old logo but actually like the cheap handle. I think it's part of the package. Just put on some oil and beeswax, and you're good to go. That said, I love the handle on the Moritaka I just got. It's perfectly sized and balanced for the blade.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Cool idea, but I also hope you keep the original CCK cleaver in stock. It's a perfect 'gateway' cleaver: decent steel, super sharp, very inexpensive. I found it a nice way to explore whether I like that style of knife without having to drop $100+ to find out.
808HI

Post by 808HI »

Great idea, Mark. I'm in for one. I'd like a nice fat Wa handle.
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

I like these ideas. I also find the new laser engraving garish, especially on the stainless version.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:04 am HI Mark. I agree with you.

One of the main reasons I never seem to reach for my CCK is the shape and feel (rough) of that handle. I just don't like it and that's a shame since otherwise it's fun to use. Also, without meaning to offend, that newer engraving is kind of hard on my eyes. I doubt I'd have ever bought one with that engraving.

One concern I have with your ideas are what's going to happen to the price? For me one of the chief things that tipped me over from looker to buyer was it was a pretty inexpensive fun pick up to learn how to use a cleaver. At $85 with a nice handle I can still see myself as a buyer. At $105? I'm not so sure.

Good luck. Hope this helps a little.
Yes I'm sure it will raise the price but not for you guys. I'll make sure to do an intro sale at the same price as the regular one.

I may also have them ditch the lacquer on them. I'll need to think about it since I don't want to have them showing up rusty but that laquer is a buzz kill every time I pick one up to sharpen one.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

JASinIL2006 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:42 am Cool idea, but I also hope you keep the original CCK cleaver in stock. It's a perfect 'gateway' cleaver: decent steel, super sharp, very inexpensive. I found it a nice way to explore whether I like that style of knife without having to drop $100+ to find out.
I'll definitely keep selling the current one.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

XexoX wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 am Mark, your ideas are very good. Best of luck with this New and Improved CCK cleaver. Your name will go down in history! The CCKM cleaver. I'll order one as soon as you offer it. Are you going to do one of those Kickstarter campaigns to fund it?
I have a little apprehension about doing Kickstarter. If the deal fell through or they came out badly I would feel a lot of pressure and there would be a financial obligation to get them done on time etc. Also, I feel a little like it's cheating. I can self-fund these kinds of things without any trouble. So then it's just a marketing tool instead of a financing tool to make something like this happen.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:22 pm
XexoX wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 am Mark, your ideas are very good. Best of luck with this New and Improved CCK cleaver. Your name will go down in history! The CCKM cleaver. I'll order one as soon as you offer it. Are you going to do one of those Kickstarter campaigns to fund it?
I have a little apprehension about doing Kickstarter. If the deal fell through or they came out badly I would feel a lot of pressure and there would be a financial obligation to get them done on time etc. Also, I feel a little like it's cheating. I can self-fund these kinds of things without any trouble. So then it's just a marketing tool instead of a financing tool to make something like this happen.
Well said Mark. If you do get it worked out, make sure you get a % if they make them for another vendor!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

good luck. I think you are onto something. I have rehandled more than a few
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I don't mind the handle either. It's not like you hold the handle on a knife like this anyway, and the rustic nubbin style handle nestles in just fine. The fit and finish on the bolster could be better. Nice wood with horn would be nice, but I don't know how much that would increase the price. A big part of the charm of the CCK is its price point which has already gone up in recent years. But an upgraded handle with nicer fit and finish would be welcome though. The real issue to me is that QR code. I have one of the older cleavers and recommended it to a friend recently, with apologies for the awful new branding. The old stamp looked fine, but the new lasered on one is trash. You can't easily remove it, and the one guy I saw who removed it on Reddit also removed all the KU finish while he was at it. Tragic. Anyway, I'm sure there'd be interest in an upmarket CCK without that branding. If you could have them round the spine and choil while you were at it (and keep the price reasonably low) it'd be quite an attractive package.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Mark, I picked up an old artifex cleaver used at one point. Before I was making my own knives, Chris M thinned it out got me. Why not start there?
1882A182-7289-4F52-908E-C186B89073D1.jpeg
808HI

Post by 808HI »

What’s the dimensions of that Artifex cleaver? Carbon steel?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have the stainless version of this and put up with the handle, but Id sure think about getting a wa handle version. A heavier handle would balance it out a bit I imagine. If CCK isnt interested, what about your friends at Daovua? Their price points seem inline with this already.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I never liked the CCK I tried because of the handle. I have a Daovua small cleaver and like it a lot. I would be excited to buy what you are talking about having made. If the price is the same, this is a simple decision.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:25 pm Mark, I picked up an old artifex cleaver used at one point. Before I was making my own knives, Chris M thinned it out got me. Why not start there?1882A182-7289-4F52-908E-C186B89073D1.jpeg
I recently asked Kanehide if they could do the Artifex in PS60 steel but they said the size was an issue. I’ll keep trying.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

808HI wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:15 am What’s the dimensions of that Artifex cleaver? Carbon steel?
its stainless, and about 2.5 x 8 inches.