Kirameki Iron Frying Pan 26cm

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Bob Z

Kirameki Iron Frying Pan 26cm

Post by Bob Z »

Listed at only 2lbs 1 oz, I had to ask Mark if the weight was accurate and he confirmed it. So I took the plunge and got two. One for me and maybe one for my mom who liked my matfer but it was just too heavy for her. These are almost 2 lbs lighter than my slightly larger Matfer!
I'm sure poor Sue hated sending this big box!
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiirfrpan26.html

So very light, only about 1/8th inch thick. Had a pimpled kind of surface on the cooking surface. So I seasoned them with grapeseed oil and baked about an hour, came out perfect. Next seasoning the oil kinda seeped into to surface much more than a normal carbon steel in my experience did. Another round in the oven and one final round where it was a normal seasoning. The surface was now shiny.

Tested em out and wow! eggs just gliding around, nice and light to use and heat up fast. Im really impressed with these.
Instruction page is all japanese but I looked up the company and found these are coated with whats called Magma Plate.
What's Magma Plate?

A uniquely developed plate, finely indented on both surfaces.
The indent makes the pan's surface area larger and heat conduction better,so food can be heated to the core very fast, with its delicious taste kept in.
Furthermore, the surface fabrication with the indent enables the cooking oil go in more easily. The longer used, the less sticky!
Attachments
pans.jpg
XexoX

Re: Kirameki Iron Frying Pan 26cm

Post by XexoX »

Thanks Mr. Z! I was wondering about them. Only thing that stopped me was:
Also, we highly recommend you don't use high heat on the pans.
Have you noticed any problems with not using high heat with them?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I was really intrigued by those, great endorsement, thanks Bob.

Was also curious about the high heat question. But I'm sure within reason they're going to be fine.
David
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I measured over 550 with infrared on the stove top, This was only for a short time though. and they baked in an oven at about 500 so seems good to me.
Don't see these as replacements for thicker heavier like the Matfer or cast iron since they wont retain as much heat, but as a replacement for lighter nonstick pans or a small wok. The thinner gauge makes heat regulation faster especially for eggs which can easily go bad with a heavier pan.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:35 pm I measured over 550 with infrared on the stove top, This was only for a short time though. and they baked in an oven at about 500 so seems good to me.
Don't see these as replacements for thicker heavier like the Matfer or cast iron since they wont retain as much heat, but as a replacement for lighter nonstick pans or a small wok. The thinner gauge makes heat regulation faster especially for eggs which can easily go bad with a heavier pan.
Thank you Mr. Z! I'll be sure and mention that you should get a commission for the sale!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.