WA handle life expectancy

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Sid85

WA handle life expectancy

Post by Sid85 »

New to Japanese knives. I would like to try blade with a Wa handle as I think I would not like the balance point with the thinner blades as far back as they tend with the Yo handles/full tang etc. My question is: given proper care how many years could one expect to get out of light to medium home kitchen use before having to install a new handle? I just bought my first CKTG knife with a hybrid handle and cant wait to use it.
Kalaeb

Re: WA handle life expectancy

Post by Kalaeb »

Good question. I have been going on 15 years on some of mine and fully expect at least that many more.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Excellent question as I just discover this site 4 years ago. Being an amateur woodworker I am under the impression that as long as I take care of the handles and rub them down with bees wax and keep the tang to handle connection sealed and store the knives in a temperature and humidity friendly environment that here is no reason that the handles should not last for decades?
But I guess only time will tell.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
polytope

Post by polytope »

About 3 years, give or take :D

(PS: This is a joke. Don't be frightened off by this picture. These handles were sanded every day, which isn't something you would do at home)

taz575

Post by taz575 »

Even the softer/cheaper Wa handles will last a very long time in home use. They are designed to be replaced fairly easily by the end user. With stabilized wood and good materials, handles do not get much wear, so they should pretty much last as long as the blade does!
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I have a coworker whos knife handle looks like the middle one in the Morimoto pictures. He probably uses it every day at work for 10+ years.
I believe he does not sand the handle but does scrub it with a green scrubbing pad when he washes it.
I have knives I’ve been using for years daily, but since I don’t scrub them like that, there is no noticeable wear on the wood. I will occasionally treat them with some board butter or mineral oil.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

For home use, and assuming good care, I don't see why the handle shouldn't last as long as you have the knife.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:26 pm Good question. I have been going on 15 years on some of mine and fully expect at least that many more.
Similarly for me, but just at eight years & still trucking along just fine 8-) 8-)
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
enjay

Post by enjay »

Do people around here scrub their handles with the rough side of the sponge? I always go with the soft blue side, and that seems to get the job done. Of course, I also use knives at a fraction of the frequency of pros in the kitchen, so reckon that plays a role here.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

enjay wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:48 am Do people around here scrub their handles with the rough side of the sponge? I always go with the soft blue side, and that seems to get the job done. Of course, I also use knives at a fraction of the frequency of pros in the kitchen, so reckon that plays a role here.
Unless they're really gunked up, I usually just towel off the handles and dry them (microfiber). One thing I picked up somewhere, probably here, is to avoid holding the knife under running water with the tip up. In other words, make sure the opening where the tang enters the handle is facing away from the source of the water flow. This supposedly helps keep water from getting in the handle. Not sure how much impact that has, but it seems sensible enough.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

enjay wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:48 am Do people around here scrub their handles with the rough side of the sponge? I always go with the soft blue side, and that seems to get the job done. Of course, I also use knives at a fraction of the frequency of pros in the kitchen, so reckon that plays a role here.
I usually have a knife hand and a non knife hand. My knife hand seldom touches product so I don't wash my handles every time. If doing protein I will wash with a soft sponge/soap, but never used an abrasive or even green scrubber.

Working ina pro kitchen I usually just hit the handle with the quat and dish towel and called it good.
enjay

Post by enjay »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:00 pm One thing I picked up somewhere, probably here, is to avoid holding the knife under running water with the tip up. In other words, make sure the opening where the tang enters the handle is facing away from the source of the water flow. This supposedly helps keep water from getting in the handle. Not sure how much impact that has, but it seems sensible enough.
Same. I hold the knife so that the tip always faces down while I rinse with running water. Common sense prevails, here.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

enjay wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:10 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:00 pm One thing I picked up somewhere, probably here, is to avoid holding the knife under running water with the tip up. In other words, make sure the opening where the tang enters the handle is facing away from the source of the water flow. This supposedly helps keep water from getting in the handle. Not sure how much impact that has, but it seems sensible enough.
Same. I hold the knife so that the tip always faces down while I rinse with running water. Common sense prevails, here.
Advice that I've been giving Newbies for years.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Same for me with the tip down & I just don't even think about that now as it's so ingrained I'm not even conscious of doing it :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!