Belt sander advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
taz575

Re: Belt sander advice

Post by taz575 »

Grizzly just released this model!! 2x42, variable speed, similar set up to a 2x72 with a flat platen. This should be really nice for sharpening, handles, blade thinning, etc. I am debating about picking up one to do Wa handles on instead of using my 12" disc grinders because I can use better belts and slow it way down.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... der/t32459
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

taz575 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:26 pm Grizzly just released this model!! 2x42, variable speed, similar set up to a 2x72 with a flat platen. This should be really nice for sharpening, handles, blade thinning, etc. I am debating about picking up one to do Wa handles on instead of using my 12" disc grinders because I can use better belts and slow it way down.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... der/t32459
And on sale for the low, low price of $299.95! Save $69.95 for preordering. That is money in your pocket.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yup! There are lots of 2x42 belts available too and they arent super expensive. This would be a better option than the 1x30's for those wanting to try out knifemaking, or doing kits with premade blades or exploring making wa handles.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I am seriously considering trying to get set up to be able to make knives, but I don't have much funds laying around, so I was looking for the cheapest way to get a competent belt grinder set up. Here is what I am considering:

https://usaknifemaker.com/no-weld-grind ... rsion.html

It is a plan for making a no weld grinder from largely rudimentary material. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on how this looks, especially taz575. It seems like it should be pretty capable if set up with a good motor from what I can tell.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

It's not too bad, but the prices listed may not be accurate for your area! It's a very rudimentary set up with out much options. Having another tube slot for a work rest is nice, too. Can you weld? Do you have access to a drill press and tools to tap holes?

Look at the U Weld version from the same place. $720 plus shipping gets you the basic grinder chassis, flat/slack belt attachment arm and the drive wheel. A chinese VFD is around $120, 2 HP 3 phase motor is around $250-275, may be able to find a used one for less. There are Chinese VFD that convert 120v to 240V if you don't already have 240V where you want to use it. If you have 240V already, you can get a VFD for under $100. VFD is a HUGE game changer even over step pulleys being able to dial in the speeds. With the VFD's that convert 120 to 240 being $130 or so instead of $400, it's a no brainer! Just make a wood box for the VFD itself to protect it from the dust. I use the small remote panel on mine so the VFD is far away from the grinder and protected from the metal dust.

Check out the HouseMade.us kits. BenBites uses one and loves it. I've used some of their stuff and it's really nice! They have a Gen 5 kit that just needs to be welded together. Bandit DIY kit also needs welding from Diktator, but doesn't look too bad.

Bolt together one with the wheels and flat platen included:
https://kadrmaskreations.com/product/ty ... th-wheels/
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

It can definitely be a money game and for sure is a labor of love.
I looked into it...I have a 1x30 variable for sharpening and got caught up in the 2x72 craze.
Decided to just stay in the machine sharpening game.

My buddy has a 2x72 that runs so smooth....Taz knows way more about it than me, but from what I gather the smoothness is important. I'm not sure if that's for ease of use, more enjoyable, or better results.

It would be crummy to build that out and then not have ability to adjust it to make it run smooth.

Talk about a labor of love...Sakoda claims to grind with a file and edge with stones.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

thats the one i was looking to pickup as a mobile sharpener running dewalt power packs seems bad reviews but might be a great base to start from i know the SFPM is way faster then i would want for sharpening
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I run an AmeriBrade 2x72 and love it. I tried to make my own tilting adapter, but botched it, so mine has a little more vibration to it. Smooth running is pretty important, but a little vibration isn't a killer. I can feel it, but it's consistent.

The Grizzly 2x42 had some motor issues, not sure if those have been fully resolved yet or not. Guys have tweaked and solved the tracking problems and there are some FB groups about modding the machines to run better. The big draw back is the motor issue.

I used to use 12" disc sanders for Wa handles. 60 grit disc, table at 90 to square up the pieces and get the tapers in, then drop the table to ~45 degrees and cut the facets with the 60 grit disc. I used 100/120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800 (sometimes higher) sandpaper on a granite reference plate after the disc sander and it worked pretty well. Eventually got a 2nd 12" sander so one was set at 90 degrees to the disc and the other was locked at at the 45 angle and I made an extension for the work rest so the rest would go right up to the disc.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 am The Grizzly 2x42 had some motor issues, not sure if those have been fully resolved yet or not.
The problem with reducing energy in a variable speed platform is the unused energy is converted into heat which kills the electronics and motors.
Those variable speed knobs just use a resister to limit power, so the power that doesn't pass go just sits there and heats up.
It takes money to design electronics that can handle the build up of heat.

My variable speed belt sander after 15 minutes gets so hot you can't touch the housing.

Only way Grizzly will be able to fix it is by putting more money into the motor....but they've been doing it a while so they'll get it figured out.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, there was a grounding issue with the first batch too, so they sent out a grounding wire to the customers. They need to figure out how to cool the motor without sucking in the dust and metal shavings. Thats why the TEFC motors and real VFDs are the best way to go. I wonder if someone can modify it to take a better motor/vfd?
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Hmmm, well I think looking more carefully into grinders has been a bit of a reality check, I don't think I am quite at the point of being able to invest in all the necessary equipment for knife making yet. I also have a bit of a space problem currently, I'm not sure that I have a good spot to set up a grinder indoors where all the dust won't become a hazard. Maybe I'll try making a small knife with hand files to get my foot in the door.

What I am thinking right now is I should look into a smaller, cheaper grinder that I can use for sharpening, start getting a feel for grinding just edges, and also be able try out handle making. I am thinking I could attempt to get something that I can basically cart outdoors so that I don't need a dust collection system or a hazard zone maintained in my garage.

I might consider starting up a local sharpening service some time soon and see how that goes. I have some major problems with my houses foundation though, which is taking up most of my time, so I'll have to play it by ear.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Get some premade blanks. Jantz has their "Jantz Pattern" blanks that are pretty nice. I used to make those up and sell those before I got my belt sanders. Puukko blanks are usually pretty good quality. RagweedForge and Thompsons Scandinavian Supply are great places to order from. Or you could start with rehandling your own Japanese knives. I usually grind off the rivet heads and then pop the scales off on western knives. A drill press is good to have to drill straight holes in the handle material, but a small desk top one will do the job just fine!

A 1x30 would work for doing sharpening and basic handles. Getting a variable speed one would be nice, too. I did find one I showed the pic of earlier in the thread and a guy has done a bunch of handles and loves it. It's a smaller machine (1x30 IIRC), but is like a mini 2x72, so you can do sharpening and handles. You could also probably do some basic re profiling, thinning, etc on steel, too, with it. They are around $300 now on Amazon, plus $50 shipping. Thats where I would start!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:07 am ...Getting a variable speed one would be nice, too. I did find one I showed the pic of earlier in the thread and a guy has done a bunch of handles and loves it. It's a smaller machine (1x30 IIRC), but is like a mini 2x72, so you can do sharpening and handles. You could also probably do some basic re profiling, thinning, etc on steel, too, with it. They are around $300 now on Amazon, plus $50 shipping. Thats where I would start!
Those 1x30 mini-grinders are really cool. Some have a large contact wheel for convexing.
They are powered by sewing machine motors that can get down to 400 sfm.
I have a Rikon variable speed that I mounted on it's side so the belt is horizontal.
I get way better results with a horizontal belt than vertical. Others are the exact opposite.
For whatever reason I never have success with a vertical belt.

3M has 1x30 diamond belts in multiple grits that will sharpen any knife steel.
I mostly use the Trizact belts to "grind", and the cheaper less abrasive belts for sharpening.
I'm such a low volume user that I can't tell the difference in Ceramic, Aluminum Oxide, or Zirconia.
They are so mixed up I just feel the grit with my fingers and pick one based on that. lol