CruWear and Bone White Linen Micarta EDC blade

Taz575 is back! Located in Connecticut, Tim Johnson (TAZ575) is once again offering rehandles, regrinds and full custom knife services. I make kitchen cutlery, fillet and hunting/butchering knives and EDC fixed blades as well as my own unique fabric and carbon fiber based handle materials.

Moderator: Marko Tsourkan

taz575

CruWear and Bone White Linen Micarta EDC blade

Post by taz575 »

First blade in CPM CruWear and first in the Bone White Linen Micarta! Did up a 3" EDC type blade to test these materials. CPM CruWear is a powdered metal with better edge holding than CPM 3V and slightly less tough. I had the first few blades heat treated at 60 HRC to get them a bit tougher similar to what Bark River does, but it can go to higher hardness at the cost of being harder to sharpen. It takes a wicked crazy edge though!!! The handle material is Bone White Linen Micarta, which has a nice aged ivory look to it. I used red G10 liners, mosaic pins and SS lanyard tubing in the handle as well. Sheath is brown "raptor" pattern Holstex.
EDC BWLM.jpg
EDC BWLM 2.jpg
EDC BWLM 3.jpg
Kekoa

Re: CruWear and Bone White Linen Micarta EDC blade

Post by Kekoa »

Cru-Wear is a steel I've gotten pretty curious about. I've never heard of a kitchen knife made from it, but I wonder how it would do in that role.
taz575

Re: CruWear and Bone White Linen Micarta EDC blade

Post by taz575 »

I think it would do pretty well and I would probably take it to around 62-63 rockwell wise for a kitchen knife. It is supposed to have edge retention like M2 steel and much better than A2/Chromax or D2/SKD. I did the first 4 CruWear blades at 60 HRC like Bark River does for easier sharpening and more toughness as field knives. I have 2 more blades around 3-3.25" in CruWear to grind and a 7" Camp knife style blade to grind. CruWear was designed as an upgrade from D2 and able to go up higher rockwell hardness wise, with increased toughness and edge holding. I would probably do 62-63 HRC for a kitchen knife, but it can go to around 65 rockwell. It has 7.5% Chromium, so it may be a semi stainless since it is between A2/Chromax and D2/SKD, but it also has Vanadium Carbides.