Classifieds: Hide sold ck box needed!

Please report any issues you are having with the forum here.
Bob Z

Classifieds: Hide sold ck box needed!

Post by Bob Z »

Lots of stuff way back in pages thats still available, but you have to scroll thru pages to read thru the headings to see if its sold.
What would be nice to have is a box to hide sold items, after all most of the time you are looking for whats available, not whats gone.

My suggestion is: make a "Hide Sold" like for items in the store that are OOS.
mauichef

Re: Classifieds: Hide sold ck box needed!

Post by mauichef »

Hmmmm...that is a good idea but unfortunately it wont work unless every poster keeps us informed about their sales etc.
Not sure if it could be programmed to do that but I would think its doable.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Shouldn't be too hard. Keep classified items (posts?) just like inventory. Allow mods to make Inventory OOS when its sold etc. Users can then "show out of stock items" if they want for historic data etc.
As it is now, stuff gets buried quickly and users keep having to "bump" to keep their items on the first page.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The problem is that the forum host platform has to provide those options in their software and they don't. It's not something that we can just program ourselves. The forum is not a site built by CKTG.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:16 pm The problem is that the forum host platform has to provide those options in their software and they don't. It's not something that we can just program ourselves. The forum is not a site built by CKTG.
Ok I get that and it would cost money if they could or would even do it, so here is a better and easier alternative:

The site does allow the creation of new main topics and I know mods can move posts between topic if need be.

Create a "Classifieds SOLD" topic, and when something is reported sold, move it out of "Classifieds" into Classifieds Sold"
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Nobody else thinks this is a good idea? Please give me your support here!
jknife

Post by jknife »

You go Bob!!!!
Seriously,I really do think it’s a good idea. Of course it is more work for the mods so I guess it would be up to them. :D
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Sorry but I am not in favor of this move. Nothing wrong with bumping. Every forum classified does this. Might sound easy to have mods do this moving around but it takes time to research and implement and then if a sale goes south or there are changes the mods have to do more work. Plus what about multiple item ads, it wont help there? I have never seen a forum with a SOLD topic, but that doesn't mean they don't exist of course. Do you have any examples Bob?
I think it should be up to the seller to do the work not a mod. After all the seller is making money off this...not the mod or Mark! So of there is a solution that does not involve more work then that would be great. But it's not really hard to scroll through a classified list is it? The biggest issue is posters not informing the group or mods that an item has sold in the first place! Aloha!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I will try and discuss this option with Mark soon and we'll go from there. Mark is getting ready to go on vacation so don't expect to hear much of anything until after next weekend. I personally don't have a problem with the idea but...we'll see.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

mauichef wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am Sorry but I am not in favor of this move. Nothing wrong with bumping. Every forum classified does this. Might sound easy to have mods do this moving around but it takes time to research and implement and then if a sale goes south or there are changes the mods have to do more work. Plus what about multiple item ads, it wont help there? I have never seen a forum with a SOLD topic, but that doesn't mean they don't exist of course. Do you have any examples Bob?
I think it should be up to the seller to do the work not a mod. After all the seller is making money off this...not the mod or Mark! So of there is a solution that does not involve more work then that would be great. But it's not really hard to scroll through a classified list is it? The biggest issue is posters not informing the group or mods that an item has sold in the first place! Aloha!
I am a member of a few forums with classifieds and they do exactly this. They have an active sales forum and a sold and expired listings forum. I don't see it being that much more work to move a listing than editing a listing showing it as sold. It's not like we're crazy busy around here anyway.
The biggest problem with "it should be up to the seller to do the work not a mod" is that the OP loses the ability to edit the post after a fairly short period of time. With other forums I've been on the OP has a very long period to go back and edit their own classified listings but that's not the case here, we have to do that for them.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Are we getting anywhere with this?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have a message into Mark about it, I'll let you know when I get a definitive answer.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:13 pm Are we getting anywhere with this?
As I'm sure most have noticed, the new "Sold Classifieds" forum is up and the sold listings from the classifieds have started to be moved.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 am
Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:13 pm Are we getting anywhere with this?
As I'm sure most have noticed, the new "Sold Classifieds" forum is up and the sold listings from the classifieds have started to be moved.
Thanks, Jeff. Great work!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Awesome!