I have the Cerax #1000 and I have the New Cerax Combination Stone #1000/6000

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
JesusIsLord

I have the Cerax #1000 and I have the New Cerax Combination Stone #1000/6000

Post by JesusIsLord »

In the Picture the white one is the Original Suhiro Cerax #1000 and the blue one is the New Suhiro #1000 on the combination stone (Note: I took the combination stone off its base it was glued to).

Comparison
Both are really good stones and can get your knives very sharp if you hold your angle. The material has to be different. The Suhiro Original Cerax #1000 has great feedback, and it feels softer. The #1000 on the New Suhiro combination stone you get feedback as well, but the Suhiro Original #1000 stone feels softer. I also feel like the Original Suhiro Cerax #1000 takes less passes to get to the sharpness I like. It takes 3 or 4 passes to get my knives sharp on the Original Suhiro Cerax #1000. On the New Suhiro combination stone #1000 it takes 5-6 passes. I do use the full stone when sharpening, so this could be the reason. The Original Suhiro #1000 stone is so much bigger. Also, soaking the Original Suhiro Cerax #1000 stone takes about 15 minutes (bigger stone may be the reason?). Regarding, the New Suhiro combination stone #1000 it takes 3-5 minutes top to soak. I like the Original Suhiro Cerax #1000 better because the size and feel. I think if these stones were the same size, it might be less of a difference.

Another big difference between the two stones is the sound while sharpening. The Original Cerax #1000 stone is very quiet. As for the New Suhiro Cerax combination stone #1000, it is louder, and you can hear the scraping. A big reason why these two stone can't have the same material.

I did several cut tests with the same number of passes. The Original Suhiro Cerax #1000 was slightly better than the New Suhiro combination stone #1000 in cutting. But both got my knife pretty sharp without stropping. (I do use the full stone when sharpening. So, the Original Cerax #1000 being a bigger stone could be the reason)

I had the King KW65 combination stone as my first stone for $25 on Amazon. The reviews are great on it, but for me the feel felt horrible. The #6000 side was cracking and falling apart. It felt like a rock. Although, it did weirdly give me a mirror polish. Then, I got the New Suhiro Cerax combination stone for $45 because a youtuber suggested that it was the best combination stone on the market. Since, companies usually use lower quality stones for combination stones. But, Suhiro actually uses premium stones, but give you less material, so they can make it affordable. I could tell immediately the New Suhiro combination stone is 20x better than the King KW65 and worth the money.

The Orginal Cerax #1000 isn't that much of difference compared to the New Suhiro combination stone. It's just Better in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on combination stones vs single whetstones?
Attachments
Cerax 1000.jpg
Kekoa

Re: I have the Cerax #1000 and I have the New Cerax Combination Stone #1000/6000

Post by Kekoa »

I don't have a combo stone personally. Because I am a sharpen-aholic I wanted to invest up front in a full thickness stone that would last a long time, especially since I flatten my stones frequently. I can't really say anything against combo stones since I haven't actually used one, but for some reason I am prejudiced against them. It just seems weird to me to have two stones glued to each other, don't know why.

I do have the Cerax #1000 stone though and do like it. I can't compare it to much, but it is quite pleasant to sharpen on and for me seems to be the right finish for my pocket knives and fixed blade knives. Also obviously is good for kitchen knives, but my Japanese knives get followed up on my Naniwa #2000.