attaching files to a DM

Please report any issues you are having with the forum here.
XexoX

attaching files to a DM

Post by XexoX »

Hi,
Well, this is confusing. I'm attaching files to a DM and the info/instructions says this "
If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below. You may also attach files by dragging and dropping them in the message box.

Maximum filesize per attachment: 4 MiB.

but I get an error which says the file size can't be more than 256kb. The four files I want to attach are less than the 4MiB, but are bigger than the 256kb. Obviously one of these is wrong. Maybe correcting them to match would be a help.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Re: attaching files to a DM

Post by Bob Z »

Glad you brought this up! I tried to send a file less than 256k yesterday and it wouldn't take it. It seems the instructions/rules for attachments are different for Pm's than posting in forum topics, with Pm's being limited to less than 256k. Below is a screenshot of my error attempting to do this.
Can we send these files via regular email? of course but that defeats the purpose of a PM.
Attachments
pm message issues.jpg
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Oh dear! Both messages are wrong. Can we even attach files to a DM?
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

XexoX wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:46 pm Oh dear! Both messages are wrong. Can we even attach files to a DM?
What is a DM?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:10 am What is a DM?
DM = Direct message, just another term for PM/Private message.

Unfortunately nothing I can do here as a mod, I don't have the proper permissions. This fix will be up to Mark to handle.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:10 am
XexoX wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:46 pm Oh dear! Both messages are wrong. Can we even attach files to a DM?
What is a DM?
Sir Jeff's answer is a good one to this question. Sorry, I went down a rabbit hole this more reading on reddit Malicious Compliance. My bad. Mea culpa.
Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:32 am
Bob Z wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:10 am What is a DM?
DM = Direct message, just another term for PM/Private message.

Unfortunately nothing I can do here as a mod, I don't have the proper permissions. This fix will be up to Mark to handle.
On reddit it is called "chat" and another forum they are called "conversations". Seems everyone wants to "personalize" their invention of the wheel. Ugh.

Thank you Sir Jeff for answering Mr. Z's question. And for checking to see if you could fix it.