VG10 vs. TK Semi

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
oldranch

VG10 vs. TK Semi

Post by oldranch »

Hello all,

First time poster here. Home cook who knows how to sharpen, reset a bevel and strop. I'm also sure I could thin if/when needed. I use mostly Shapton Pro bench stones but I do have some small diamond plates too. I have worked with 14C28N, VG10, S35VN and unidentified cheap stainless steels. I've recently jumped into the world of Japanese knives and wish I had done so years ago. I now have a Tojiro DP Santoku and I like it a lot.

So, I've narrowed down my search for a Petty to the following two knives. They both meet my requirements; western handle, 150mm, stainless or nearly so and under $100.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkpe15.html Kanehide TK Semi Stainless Petty
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/topakn12.html Tojiro DP Boning/Utility 150mm

Can the experts comment on the Kanehide TK Semi Stainless steel in comparison to the Tojiro VG10 steel? Similarities/differences in sharpening, edge retention, etc? I think I would like to try out the Kanehide but not if it is a noticable step down from the Tojiro.

Thanks everyone in advance for you insights,
taz575

Re: VG10 vs. TK Semi

Post by taz575 »

I think most will feel the Kanehide TK will be a step up from Tojiro VG-10 in terms of edge retention and edge stability. Sharpening may be a touch harder, but deburring and getting a nice, clean edge will be a bit easier. VG-10 from Tojiro can be a bit gummy and hard to deburr.

The Tojiro R2 petty will be a step up in edge retention, but may be more brittle, but is fully stainless, but a bit over $100.
oldranch

Post by oldranch »

Taz575, thanks for your reply.
I have noticed that gumminess quality in my Tojiro, I really didn't know how to describe it until just now. Your comments on the TK are what I was hoping to hear. Of course, I'll see what others might add but right now I'm more leaning toward the Kanehide TK. I did look at the Tojiro R2 and while the price did not scare me off, some reviews did mention brittleness and in the hands of my better half more brittleness would be a deal (and knife) breaker I'm sure.
Appreciate your input!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Kanehide TK steel is easy to sharpen and takes a very keen edge. Edge holding is very respectable. It is a lower alloy steel than VG10 and will stain and gray(patina) over time with acidic foods but not badly and isn't remotely as reactive as a full carbon. Rust is not an issue at all unless REALLY abused. If you're looking for a knife that stays pristine looking this isn't the steel for you but it is easy to maintain and is high performance.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
oldranch

Post by oldranch »

More good news I think.
Thank you Jeff B!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

This is purely anecdotal as I don't know the steel compositions and I feel strongly some people really nail VG-10, others really botch it. I feel, the semi-stainless has similar edge retention to VG-10, but semi-stainless is easier to sharpen at the risk of being slightly less "stain" less. I have no gripes with VG-10, but given the choice between one or the other would take the semi-stainless.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

While I don't have any input for you M. Ranch, I did want to welcome you to the CKTG forums.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
oldranch

Post by oldranch »

Ok, looks like a Kanehide TK will be inbound soon! Can't wait. I'll report my impressions of it after getting some board time and maybe some stone time too.
Thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and thank you XeroX for the kind welcome.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

You won’t be sorry. I love mine.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
oldranch

Post by oldranch »

Finally checking back in with results.
Well, after lots more reading, head scratching, etc. I felt I would be more comfortable with stainless steel and I ended up buying a Kanehde PS60 210mm Gyuto! In a nutshell, I could not be happier with this knife. F&F are perfect to my eye and noticeably better than the Tojiro I have (although the Tojiro did seem really great when it was all I had). Cutting performance is superior to anything I've used before this. I've put it on my Shapton Pro 1000 twice in 2 months of use to get a burr and finish that up with Nanaiwa S1 3000 and strop. It gets razor sharp fast! I actually touch it up by lightiy stropping on the Naniwa dry then strop leather.
So, my thanks go out to you all who have responded here and also thanks for all the knowledge contained in this forum itself.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

It's always nice when people follow up and let us know if they found the advice and recommendations here to be helpful. Very happy that you found a knife you like!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there oldranch and another welcome to our forum.

I think the move to the Kanahide PS60 is one you wont regret. I have the 240 Gyuto and it's a fantastic knife for the price. IMHO it cuts well above it's weight, easy to sharpen, holds a really good edge, nicely balanced.

Enjoy
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:00 pm It's always nice when people follow up and let us know if they found the advice and recommendations here to be helpful. Very happy that you found a knife you like!
Dittos to what Jeff Says! Thanks for the follow up!!!
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

oldranch wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:12 pm Finally checking back in with results.
Well, after lots more reading, head scratching, etc. I felt I would be more comfortable with stainless steel and I ended up buying a Kanehde PS60 210mm Gyuto! In a nutshell, I could not be happier with this knife. F&F are perfect to my eye and noticeably better than the Tojiro I have (although the Tojiro did seem really great when it was all I had). Cutting performance is superior to anything I've used before this. I've put it on my Shapton Pro 1000 twice in 2 months of use to get a burr and finish that up with Nanaiwa S1 3000 and strop. It gets razor sharp fast! I actually touch it up by lightiy stropping on the Naniwa dry then strop leather.
So, my thanks go out to you all who have responded here and also thanks for all the knowledge contained in this forum itself.
I also touch up my edges by stropping on a Naniwa 3k. I'm glad you're happy with your PS60.
Ricardo