Bent tip, feeling foolish

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
japarvis@gmail.com

Bent tip, feeling foolish

Post by japarvis@gmail.com »

If not the correct forum, please guide me.

I recently purchased Daovua Leaf Spring Bunka 185mm Daovua-Bunka

I have been working with it for two home sessions. I love its weight and feel. It is cutting beautifully. (Thank you, Mark, for additional sharpening. )

I noticed today I must have bent the tip. Burr raised on one side.

I am using white plastic cutting board. (Soft) I have been very attentive because I know this is a reactive steel, so I've been wiping.

I performed push cuts and some point draws in onions.

I have realigned the point through sharpening and finished 4k and 8k diamond stone... knife performing well again.

What did I do wrong? I am SURE this is operator error. I love the knife and will continue to use it. But I would welcome any technique advice.

Did I draw too hard on a point draw onion, perhaps "chopping" more than drawing? Did I draw ok but put too much pressure down?

Anyway, fire away. I would have ranked my knife skills as "good" but now I think beginner. Which actually excites me... because there's so much more to learn.
salemj

Re: Bent tip, feeling foolish

Post by salemj »

How are you washing the knife? I find that perhaps the most dangerous act one can do with a knife is to wash it under running water, yet it is also pretty much unavoidable. Most taps are not far from the back of the sink, and it is easy to move the knife under water to rinse it or wash it and to accidentally hit the tip against the sink basin. This is enough to bend the tip on some knives.

I'm glad you were able to get it back to straight. That is usually possible if it has not broken, but it can be tricky. I hope you continue to enjoy the knife!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bunkas are very flat so not good for raising the heel very high while cutting. It's possible on your tip draws that you may have raised the heel too high off the cutting board for that type knife. Anyway, without actually watching you it's hard to tell if/what you may have did wrong. There is no fast and obvious rule that says "if your tip is bent you did this...." If you truly think it was user error, next time you use it, make a few cuts and check the tip, repeat. If you notice the tip bent again you may have a better idea of when it happened and what you did to bent it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
japarvis@gmail.com

Post by japarvis@gmail.com »

Thank you both! It could have been either I guess, but I'm suspecting maybe too high angle on tip draw but maybe I tapped it during washing. I probably should have described 'bent tip" better... it was about 1mm... almost more of a burr than a bend. The tip is incredibly thin over the last 1-2 mm.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

japarvis@gmail.com wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:56 pm Thank you both! It could have been either I guess, but I'm suspecting maybe too high angle on tip draw but maybe I tapped it during washing. I probably should have described 'bent tip" better... it was about 1mm... almost more of a burr than a bend. The tip is incredibly thin over the last 1-2 mm.
Been there, done that. Easy to do. Just a little bump can do cause that to happen.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.