Please help me help a friend choose a Gyuto 210mm

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ronnie_suburban

Please help me help a friend choose a Gyuto 210mm

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Hi all,

A friend asked, so I sent him the questions and here's what he came back with . . .

1)Pro or home cook?
Both! I cook at least once a day. You probably know I have a catering side hustle, usually about two gigs a month. Nothing too high volume, I'm cooking for abt 20-30 guests at a time.

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto has been my go-to for years.

3) What size knife do you want?
Standard chef knife range, 8"

4)How much do you want to spend?
$200 range

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Flexible. I've worked with all three. I might say reactive carbon is my least fave, maintenance wise. Always been attracted to the Damascus look.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Probably Japanese, easier for sharpening. That said, I have had issues with compromised handles. I know we're supposed to treat our blades like precious objects, but inevitably my knife can end up in the dish pit. I need something with a durable finish.

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
I've been working with a Japanese gyuto, I'm not sure of the make, it was a gift, branding is only Japanese characters. It's a decent blade but the handle is toast (and it's not fine enough to replace the handle.)

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
25 years of making it up as I go along

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Alternate chop & push pull

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes. I will say that in the past I have messed up asymmetrical blades though. I think I could find the discipline to sharpen those right, but a symmetrical bevel might suit my skill level best.

I have a few ideas in mind but know there are many here with a lot more experience than I. Maybe his answer to Q5 is the best place to start thinking about suggestions?

Thanks!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Re: Please help me help a friend choose a Gyuto 210mm

Post by XexoX »

The answer to 6 makes me think SS, or something closer to it than carbon.

Have you offered to sharpen his current gyuto? Is it worth doing a rehandle? Just a standard, handle, not one of the bespoke ones.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:01 pm The answer to 6 makes me think SS, or something closer to it than carbon.

Have you offered to sharpen his current gyuto? Is it worth doing a rehandle? Just a standard, handle, not one of the bespoke ones.
Yes -- almost definitely SS on this one. I haven't offered a sharpening but it seems like he can do that himself. He seemed to think a new handle wasn't a wise decision. I'm sure he has his reasons and I'm the last guy to ever talk someone out of buying a new knife! :D
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:58 pm
XexoX wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:01 pm The answer to 6 makes me think SS, or something closer to it than carbon.

Yes -- almost definitely SS on this one. I haven't offered a sharpening but it seems like he can do that himself. He seemed to think a new handle wasn't a wise decision. I'm sure he has his reasons and I'm the last guy to ever talk someone out of buying a new knife! :D
Well then, tell him for all the help you're providing, when he gets his new knife, he should gift you his old one. Then you can rehandle it. Who knows, it might be a rare knife and deserves a place of honor in your collection!
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

This seems to tick all the boxes well inside budget.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yagisahaen1.html
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

a couple of ideas:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsnaau1.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miaugy21.html
I don't have either one but they seem to check the boxes.

Post by cliff »

I like that yahiko and Kanehide here.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'd grab this right now while it's in stock and never look back. Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm

Stainless clad, Blue steel is not very reactive and you can't beat the performance for the price.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
trancher

Post by trancher »

With the praise we have seen in the past for the 240, I wonder how the 210 Ogata would fare, Ronnie.
https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... hp?t=16836

It's OOS at the moment, though.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkasg2kagy2.html
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:44 pm I'd grab this right now while it's in stock and never look back. Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm

Stainless clad, Blue steel is not very reactive and you can't beat the performance for the price.
Listen to Jeff here and grab one of these while you can. I love mine and its a keeper with good looks!
Attachments
taco2.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:03 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:44 pm I'd grab this right now while it's in stock and never look back. Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm

Listen to Jeff here and grab one of these while you can. I love mine and its a keeper with good looks!
Looks like you had yours rehandled, yes? If there is a down side to Anryus, it's the oval handles. But because they're such great cutters, I made the recommendation anyway. I also passed along the rest of the suggestions made here, along with one additional out of stock knife, the Kato Nashiji Suminagashi Gyuto 210mm. If anyone has any additional suggestions, please post them. I'll be sure to pass them along. I'll also report back if/when he tells what he's decided on. Thanks again!
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:07 pm ...If there is a down side to Anryus, it's the oval handles. But because they're such great cutters, I made the recommendation anyway...
I've heard this complaint about oval handles a lot over the years. I gotta say though I've never had a problem with them and actually find them quite comfortable. I like D handles too, I guess I'm just one of those that is just not real picky about handles. But in all reality I don't really notice or think about what handle is on the knife when I'm in the throws of prepping. :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:34 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:07 pm ...If there is a down side to Anryus, it's the oval handles. But because they're such great cutters, I made the recommendation anyway...
I've heard this complaint about oval handles a lot over the years. I gotta say though I've never had a problem with them and actually find them quite comfortable. I like D handles too, I guess I'm just one of those that is just not real picky about handles. But in all reality I don't really notice or think about what handle is on the knife when I'm in the throws of prepping. :)
Understood. I prefer octagonal because even though they can be less comfortable, they tend to be more stable in my sweaty mitts. That said, personal preferences are just that, personal preferences. The main reason I raised the point is because the pic Bob posted of his Anryu doesn't appear to have the original handle. Perhaps I was reading into it too much but I thought that might be a significant point of distinction.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:11 am
Jeff B wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:34 am
Understood. I prefer octagonal because even though they can be less comfortable, they tend to be more stable in my sweaty mitts. That said, personal preferences are just that, personal preferences. The main reason I raised the point is because the pic Bob posted of his Anryu doesn't appear to have the original handle. Perhaps I was reading into it too much but I thought that might be a significant point of distinction.
Well said. I find D handles odd. I don't let that stop me from buying a knife with one, but they just feel weird in my grip. I guess kinda feel lopsided.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I've definitely had some odd relationships with handles. Less about the shape, and more about the size/weight/dimensions. I also had a less-than-great experience with an Anryu loaner and still really hate those Echizen curved choil-neck transitions for lack of comfort. But I know that this knife is beloved by many.

He writes "Standard Chef Range." To me, this is greater than 8". 8" is a line knife, not necessarily a standard chef range. And cooking for 20-30 twice a month...I'd expect his kitchen and board are big enough for a few more millimeters? That might be a life-changer for him. Has he ever played with your longer knives?

Although I haven't used it, I'm tempted to suggest he take a look at a Harukaze AS. AS is high-alloy, so once it forms a patina, it is basically non-reactive unless you really abuse it (more so than other blues and whites in my experience). It is also stupid-tough when hardened at lower levels for the steel like this one purports to be. The price point is in range (with taxes), too. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html

I also feel like this might be a place to upsale to a Kohetsu HAP40. Again, a knife I have not used, but one that has a lot of love from people that just want something that works, holds and edge, and performs consistently with low maintenance. PLUS: he can get a Western handle and then not worry about it, and it will be just as easy to sharpen as a Japanese handle once he actually see it and tries it.

[I also like the Ogata recs, although I can't speak at all for that knife.]

Just some additional thoughts. Ron, I feel like you have so many knives for him to try...any more input on possible preferences??
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
ronnie_suburban

salemj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:04 pm I've definitely had some odd relationships with handles. Less about the shape, and more about the size/weight/dimensions. I also had a less-than-great experience with an Anryu loaner and still really hate those Echizen curved choil-neck transitions for lack of comfort. But I know that this knife is beloved by many.

He writes "Standard Chef Range." To me, this is greater than 8". 8" is a line knife, not necessarily a standard chef range. And cooking for 20-30 twice a month...I'd expect his kitchen and board are big enough for a few more millimeters? That might be a life-changer for him. Has he ever played with your longer knives?

Although I haven't used it, I'm tempted to suggest he take a look at a Harukaze AS. AS is high-alloy, so once it forms a patina, it is basically non-reactive unless you really abuse it (more so than other blues and whites in my experience). It is also stupid-tough when hardened at lower levels for the steel like this one purports to be. The price point is in range (with taxes), too. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas24wagy.html

I also feel like this might be a place to upsale to a Kohetsu HAP40. Again, a knife I have not used, but one that has a lot of love from people that just want something that works, holds and edge, and performs consistently with low maintenance. PLUS: he can get a Western handle and then not worry about it, and it will be just as easy to sharpen as a Japanese handle once he actually see it and tries it.

[I also like the Ogata recs, although I can't speak at all for that knife.]

Just some additional thoughts. Ron, I feel like you have so many knives for him to try...any more input on possible preferences??
Good thoughts, Joe. First of all, he ended up ordering the Hand-Engraved Yahiko 210mm and seemed very excited to do so. I asked him to let me know how he likes it once he gets some time with it. I did recommend the Ogata -- great choice, especially in Pro situations -- but the current OOS status sunk that one.

And yes, we live pretty far from each other but next time we meet up, I'm going bring him a few knives to try out.

I felt a little boxed in because the preference for stainless -- along with the max price point -- ruled out a lot of knives that I may have recommended. This was a more difficult needle to thread than it initially seemed. Knowing how my friend works -- and some of the situations he finds himself in -- stainless does seem to make the most sense, though I really do like your idea about the Harukaze AS. I love Fujins but they're OOS and pricier. More than a few Ginsan and SG2 blades that I would have suggested came in too high. My guess is that he'll love the Yahiko. I also hope that after using it for a while, he'll be able to articulate what he likes and doesn't like about. That'll help us/me make additional recommendations when he buys that follow-up knife . . . because, let's face it, there's always a follow-up knife, right? :)
=R=
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I'll be curious to hear what your friend thinks of the knife. I had the santoku in that line and liked how it cut, but it turned out to be a little too short for me at my new residence. There is less restaurants where I live now so I cut a lot more large ingredients nowadays. I seem to have a hard time being comfortable with something as thin as those Yahikos too, I always end up feeling better with something thicker spined. Probably comes from my whole life spent using western style knives. Eventually I want to get something thinner again though.
ronnie_suburban

Sorry I forgot to circle back on this earlier. My friend loves the Hand-Engraved Yahiko 210mm he ordered from CKTG. Here's what he had to say about it in an email to me right after he received it . . .
Yes! The knife arrived on Wednesday and I've already put it to good work. It's the most precise blade I've ever owned. I had a gig last night and prep was a breeze – I dispatched a dozen onions lickety split. Chiffonade-ing herbs, never my favorite task, is a true joy with this thing! I've been a little overly cautious about which tasks I've put it to – using older knives for meat (f.u. plastic cutting board!) and heavier duty veg prep like hacking off onion butts. I'll take good care of it – bought a new whetstone . . .
So, another satisfied CKTG customer. Thanks again for the input, everyone! :)
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

He can still get this one....Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm :D

Glad he's thrilled with the Yahiko, good knife in a good steel at a great price!
And yes, there's always a follow up or ...20... 8-)